Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about what comes with Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 05:22 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Carpenter
I'm considering either the Raxor Pak or the Chopped Pak for my 2011 HD SG. Which one would you folks suggest
All depends on what you're looking for, really. It's a balance. I put on the King Tour pak, because I figured even though I have a Street Glide, if I'm going to spend the cash for a tour pak, I'll get the one that gives me the most storage space. I like to ride on long trips, too, though, so to me, the storage space was the main idea, and looks were secondary. I've had a few people who know me rip on me and say "you shoulda just bought an Ultra Classic," and I've had people who don't know me confuse my bike for being an Electra Glide. It doesn't help that I put fairing lowers on my bike, too. My point is, for me, I still have the stripped down style of the Street Glide, but I admit that I have pretty much built mine into an Electra Glide, minus all the extra chrome "bling" the Electra Glides have.

If you're more focused on the style aspect of it, and especially if you don't want to be mistaken for riding a "Geezer Glide," a Razor Pak might be the way to go. You can store a little extra stuff and carry more than in the saddlebags, but the Razor Pak isn't very large. It looks good on a Street Glide, but it's not much bigger than a briefcase. The middle ground would be the Chopped Tour Pak. You still get something that looks "cooler" than the full sized pack on an E-Glide, and you won't be mistaken for riding one. You'll get some more storage space than the Razor Pak, but not as much as the King Tour Pak. It looks a little bulkier on the bike, and not as streamlined. But if you need to carry more, or larger items that won't fit in the Razor Pak, it's still a good compromise.

I guess what I'm saying is that no one else can really tell you which one you need to get. By your question, it seems like you've already ruled out the King Tour Pak, so now you're down to a 50/50 choice. If it was for my bike, and you gave me that option, I'd go with the Chopped pack, because it's still got some storage space, which is really the entire purpose of adding a trunk. Then again, I'm the guy who has a full King Tour Pak on his Street Glide, so consider the source.

Personally, I would say go with a full-sized King Tour Pak with the 4-point detachable docking hardware. Then you have a full trunk when you need it, and a few minutes later you can be back to stripped down Street Glide style. But if you've ruled out the King...I'd say go with the Chopped Pak. That Razor Pak is really small, and to me, if you're going to spend the money on a trunk, why not get one that actually has some space? I say go with the Chopped if you can't do the King. Just my input.