Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about what comes with Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013 | 08:27 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Sorry, I should have read your write up more thoroughly.
As Roseanne-Roaseannadanna used to say "Nevermind"

Old 04-06-2013 | 08:31 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Sorry, I should have read your write up more thoroughly.
As Roseanne-Roaseannadanna used to say "Nevermind"
Ah, it's all good. You're just looking out for me, and I appreciate that. I don't want to look stupid riding around with the pad on my Tour Pak improperly installed, lol.

But yeah, I know I am not the most concise person when I start typing stuff, so I don't really expect people to read all the gibberish I spew out too thoroughly anyhow. It was easy to miss in the giant wall of text. I'm working on it, though -- trying to be more to the point when I post stuff.

Old 04-06-2013 | 08:36 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

Your scoot is looking good!

If I may suggest something simple for you and easy to install is some locks for your tourpak. The lock replaces the black latch on the mounting bracket.

This kit comes with two locks and two keys, so you can use one for the tourpak and your luggage rack, or split the cost with a buddy and he can use one for his scoot.

Simple insurance and peace of mind when around town or touring the asphalt jungle to anywhere.

Also, before you order rear speakers for your tourpak. Check the size of speakers and speaker pods. You will have to order the ultra wiring harness to connect the rear speakers. I am no audio expert, but they maybe other ways to hook up but the Ultra wiring harness was a no brainer.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

YB

Old 04-06-2013 | 08:46 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
Your scoot is looking good!

If I may suggest something simple for you and easy to install is some locks for your tourpak. The lock replaces the black latch on the mounting bracket.

This kit comes with two locks and two keys, so you can use one for the tourpak and your luggage rack, or split the cost with a buddy and he can use one for his scoot.

Simple insurance and peace of mind when around town or touring the asphalt jungle to anywhere.

Also, before you order rear speakers for your tourpak. Check the size of speakers and speaker pods. You will have to order the ultra wiring harness to connect the rear speakers. I am no audio expert, but they maybe other ways to hook up but the Ultra wiring harness was a no brainer.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

YB
Thanks, man, I really like that CVO Road Glide, too! Let me know if you wanna trade, lol!

No, but seriously...yeah, I have the locking quick detach latch kit on order as well, thanks for the heads up on that one. As far as the audio...I don't have a single audio component in the bike that is Harley anymore. I have a Biketronics Retro Radio kit with a Sony head unit installed, Biketronics 4 channel amp, and their Titan II 6.5" fairing speakers. So I'll basically just be running speaker wire from the amplifier to the rear speaker pods. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Biketronics rear pods that have the same 6.5" speakers in them as well. I did go with the Hawg Wired mounting kit and splash shield for the head unit, though, because the Biketronics mounting kit left a lot to be desired and just seemed really cheap and poorly designed, in my opinion.

Appreciate the tips, though, man. I've already learned quite a bit from this forum in the short time I've been here.

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:18 AM
TMOUT
Tourer

Originally Posted by pyronuc
The only thing I don't really like is the stubby antenna with the tour pak. It just doesn't look right to me. I have the relocation kit (as you can see) and I guess the whip antenna would look a little bit better, but I'm afraid of it smacking into the tour pak since it sits only an inch or so behind the bottom edge of the tour pak. If I could find an in-fairing antenna that worked worth a crap I would definitely go that route, but I've already bought 2 and they've both sucked really bad. I am wary of spending any more money on a hidden antenna.
If you look on eBay, you can grab an 8" black metal whip for your antenna mount that will be barely visible beside your fender for about $10. If you order the multifit one to lists Ford, the threads are the same. And it works just fine.
I put a detach kit on my Limited and didn't want to have to switch the whip around all the time, so this way the short whip stays put tourpak or not, and I have one less wire/cable to deal with. The antenna barely comes up above the taillight. Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:41 AM
pyronuc
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catch My Train
If you look on eBay, you can grab an 8" black metal whip for your antenna mount that will be barely visible beside your fender for about $10. If you order the multifit one to lists Ford, the threads are the same. And it works just fine.
I put a detach kit on my Limited and didn't want to have to switch the whip around all the time, so this way the short whip stays put tourpak or not, and I have one less wire/cable to deal with. The antenna barely comes up above the taillight. Hope this helps.
I'll have to see if I can find something like that, I guess and see how I like it. If you could get me a link to what you're talking about, it would help. I think I know what you're referring to, but I just don't have that much time to search for it right now (long work hours and such, and I've spent so much time already setting up this Tour Pak as it is). What would be really great is if there was some way to get the shorty Harley antenna I already have to sort of lay flat against the filler panel between my fender and saddlebag. I have the relocation kit mount, which does move it down to the bottom edge of the fender, but it still sticks out backwards away from the bike. If I could keep it in the same area, but sort of tuck it between the fender and saddlebag (or even better, BEHIND the filler panel so it's invisible) it would be great. I may have to see if I can fabricate up some type of bracket for that. I previously tried the trick of curving the long whip antenna down along the fender (inside the filler panel) and up under the seat, but of course reception was crap. Maybe the short Harley antenna would tuck up behind the filler panel and still give good reception.

All I know is that my experience with in fairing antennas is that they seem to be nothing more than snake oil. I had the powered antenna from J&M and it would cut in and out and in and out every 2 feet or so (it seemed) as I rolled down the road. Then I had the Biketronics antenna in my fairing, but it was little more than a wire. It gave better reception than the one from J&M, but still felt like I was listening to static-y AM radio or something.

I just don't like that short antenna pointing backwards and sticking out away from the bike. It looked okay without the Tour Pak, but now, with the Tour Pak on the bike, it just looks weird. Man, I wish I knew for definite about an in-fairing antenna that would work as good as the whip antenna (not likely to happen, I suppose). I just don't want to waste any more money, but I really would like to just hide the antenna all together.

I guess I'll figure something out.

Old 04-06-2013 | 11:41 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

Here's what I was talking about, they have a 6" & 14" version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110751333873...84.m1423.l2649

Old 04-07-2013 | 12:59 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

I put a chopped box on my SG, ordered box, liner, lock kit ( keyed alike) had the pad already...that's it...
If no pad, Lowes sells some black plastic plugs that just push into the holes and looks nice...

Old 04-07-2013 | 02:15 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I suggest a liner and changing that cord for the lid to the SE retractable. I hated that cord, seem to always catch in the lid when closing. The retractable doesn't do that.

The liner is nice to protect the insides. I got the removable canvas luggage with the RGU. You can buy that also. Its nice with clothing and personals when traveling. Simply stop, grab the bag and go. The bags on the bike for everything else...

I went to Home depot and bough a couple battery puck lights and velco'ed them inside the lid for those times...

On the Catalog and the HW, its funny, the razor and chopped packs state this:
Lock and Keys P/N 53194-07 (keyed to match) sold separately
However, the King and Road Glide Tour Packs don't. That's a mistake...
However, Road Glide Tour Pac states:
Tour-Pak is pre-drilled for locking hardware and passenger backrest (sold separately).
Which implies you must buy both, but doesn't state the P/N for the key... The King Tour-Pac states nothing...

Glad you resolved it.

Old 05-14-2013 | 09:01 PM
landslide03
Advanced

I see you got the mustang vintage seat, i have the same one, I thought for some reason mustang said it could not be used with a tourpak? Did u have to make any mods?

Quick Reply: Questions about what comes with Tour Pak