Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do a stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Winner....Winner...Chicken Dinner!!!!!!

If you are doing any touring riding 2 up or loaded with baggage, these things need more power. Factory settings are too lean and restrictive. If you are just cruising around town, then like jeffrey said, if you like it the way it is leave it.
Its a bit of a joke really isnt it, here we are in 2013, with a motorcycle that has an engine as big as most cars (this side of the pond) and yet we need more power to overtake?

No where is that thread about water cooling...

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
Just FYI, the American Customs header is just a de-catted stock header. I would personally remove the cat myself and save $200. Either way if you install a de-catted header and a set of slip ons, you will get less heat and a different exhaust tone. You wont really gain performance. If you want the most performance benefit for cost I would focus on the AC and tuner first.

Doing the AC and tuner makes fine sense. The ac is far more restrictive than the exhaust. You will see most of the stage 1 benefit by putting a free flowing ac on there and tuning it. The stock 2-1-2 header is sufficient for a stage 1 engine anyway. Even if you do end up changing the slip ons I would leave your header (except maybe decat for heat benefit).

Unless you're hell bent on saying "I have true duals" or "I have XXX brand header", the extra $500 for a header that only gives you 1-5hp on a stage 1 engine is a waste IMO.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking/hoping. I can see the AC and tuner for the reasons mentioned all the time; I could see decatting for heat (doubt there is much performance to be gained there at this power level). I just wasn't sure if the stock mufflers were all that restrictive compared to the AC.....glad to hear that they're not.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'm gonna leave mine stock for a while yet, I think. What I'd be interested to know is if it makes any sense to do the AC and PC without any exhaust mods (perhaps decat). The exhaust it the most expensive pce of the Stage I puzzle by far and frankly, I don't really care to increase the sound level.

Dave
Check out these threads-- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...hp-torque.html and https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...r-exhaust.html.

The conclusion I drew from both of these threads is that the first thing to try was adding just the Stage 1 AC with the Stage 1 download from H-D. I just did it this week and took a long ride Saturday and my seat of the pants Dyno tells me that I have more torque (noticeable) and more horsepower (some) and a little better sound with my stock pipes. I have about 18,000 miles on the pipes and they sounded pretty good to me before the AC and download and sound somewhat better now.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha Srxxxx
I have 2008 street glide, i love the bike, and I keep getting told to do a stage I kit. New exhaust, power commander v, high flow air filter. I am told the bike will run better, sound better and will gain horse power.
Why else should I do the installation?
The fact of the matter is the heat and restriction is not so much of an issue with the 08 bikes. The newer bikes yes, it's horrible on both counts.

However the bottom line is this. If someone is telling YOU to do a stage1 to YOUR bike, don't listen to them. It's YOUR bike, YOU ride it like YOU ride it, YOU pay for it. YOU do what YOU feel is best for YOU. The hell with everyone else's opinions.

Just my .02 worth...

Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, paying $275-300 per horsepower gain is simply not worth the cash. Especially when you only get 3 - 5 HP and that's doing it all. I've had 4 ultra classics and I loved all of them, but looking back the upgrades were NOT worth the $ I paid. I didn't touch my 2012 Ultra except for a set of slip ons and have no plans to do anything further. The Classic models are the most comfortable rides on the market.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Doing the AC and tuner makes fine sense. The ac is far more restrictive than the exhaust. You will see most of the stage 1 benefit by putting a free flowing ac on there and tuning it. The stock 2-1-2 header is sufficient for a stage 1 engine anyway.
Exactly. As I said in my post a moment ago. This is what I have just done--a Stage 1 AC and download (no need for a tuner with stock pipes). I see no need (nor benefit) to changing the mufflers at this point. They've "burned in" and sound pretty good already.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 04-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brewdog
For me, paying $275-300 per horsepower gain is simply not worth the cash. Especially when you only get 3 - 5 HP and that's doing it all. I've had 4 ultra classics and I loved all of them, but looking back the upgrades were NOT worth the $ I paid. I didn't touch my 2012 Ultra except for a set of slip ons and have no plans to do anything further. The Classic models are the most comfortable rides on the market.
Around 10hp 10ft/lbs gain is a very realistic average gain for a stage 1 103" with just ac/tuner/slip ons (header is a waste). This can be bought from FuelMoto for about $700 (not here to advertise them, its just a good deal i found). That puts it more around $70/hp gain if my math is correct. Not knocking your opinion, to each his own, but those numbers your throwing out are worst case scenario from my experience. Nobody should expect to pay $1500 for 5hp gain out of a stage 1, thats not normal.

Stock 103 vs 103 w FM ac/tuner/slipons

Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
DPelletier
Tourer

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Exactly. As I said in my post a moment ago. This is what I have just done--a Stage 1 AC and download (no need for a tuner with stock pipes). I see no need (nor benefit) to changing the mufflers at this point. They've "burned in" and sound pretty good already.

That's great news; it is really confusing reading all the threads on the subject. There are large numbers of posts from people saying that you need to do the exhaust to see any benefit of the Stage I and that you'd be wasting your time leaving the stock exhaust on, then there are a bunch of other people saying the AC is far more restrictive than the exhaust! Confusing as heck!

Based on the dozen or so threads I've read now, I would concur that it SEEMS like the AC is far more restrictive than the exhaust is. The idea that you can "go ahead and do the exhaust" without worrying about a tuner to richen up the mixture but you NEED a tuner if you change the AC lends credibility to that argument. I get the feeling that the cat doesn't create much restriction and the heat that it generates is localized and the engine doesn't run much (if any) hotter. Dyno results (slim pickings for stock motors with one change at a time) seem to indicate less than 1hp is lost to the cat and that a full aftermarket exhaust is worth 2 hp or so on an otherwise stock engine. Obviously, the more you mod the bike, the more that a better exhaust would help....it might make 10hp on a motor that has hotter cams, etc.

Anywho, I can see doing the AC (probably the Big Sucker under the stock cover for me) and a tuner......and POSSIBLY decatting the stock header for heat if it becomes a comfort issue. Other than that, I'll probably leave it alone.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
DPelletier
Tourer

Around 10hp 10ft/lbs gain is a very realistic average gain for a stage 1 103" with just ac/tuner/slip ons (header is a waste). This can be bought from FuelMoto for about $700 (not here to advertise them, its just a good deal i found). That puts it more around $70/hp gain if my math is correct. Not knocking your opinion, to each his own, but those numbers your throwing out are worst case scenario from my experience. Nobody should expect to pay $1500 for 5hp gain out of a stage 1, thats not normal.

Stock 103 vs 103 w FM ac/tuner/slipons
So what do you think I would gain with a Big Sucker and a Power Commander V on my stock 2010 96"er? 3hp? 5hp? 7hp?

Obviously not 10/10 unless the exhaust upgrade does nothing.

Dave

Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 976 Posts

One word of caution - if you retain the stock header with catalytic converter, you cannot add fuel with a tuner/PC!!!! you'll cook the converter and it'll be hotter than it already is.

On the other hand if you remove the cat you can add fuel and keep the stock mufflers for a slight increase in sound/peformance/milage w/o even changing the air filter.

FWIW, it's not all about horsepower - stage 1 also gets rid of the lack of throttle response due to lean fuel mixtures. It will be a lot more enjoyable all the time, not just pulling hills 2-up.

Joe

Quick Reply: Why do a stage 1