Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Saddlebag guards

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Road King Saddlebag guards

Hey guys, thought I read a thread on this but can't seem to find it (a.k.a, YES I searched)

I've got this Road King now (Midnight Pearl) and the hard saddlebags are just out there flappin' in the wind. The way I use my bikes (primary transportation, all the time, all conditions, and some "interesting" places), I'd feel a lot better with some saddle bag guard rails on there.

Trying to decide between the two horizontal bar look and the Road King Classic style. I'm thinking the traditional horizontal bars would afford more protection, but as I remember there is a certain look that the RKC style bars give, I just can't sem to find a pile of pictures in one place to compare. And at >$200 I don't want to get some, regret it, and have more piles of parts cr*p in the garage awaiting my "someday" eBay fest.

Anyone care to post pics and help me decide?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the ones in the pic you have posted there. Don't have them on my RKC yet, but will get them eventually man. If you have not already, go to the motorcycle pictures by models, click on touring, then go to Road King pictures.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Yea, that's the classic-style bars. Don't have that bike anymore, it was a good ride.

I'm thinking about those style saddlebag rails on regular hard-bag Road King. Think it might give it a bit of an "old school" look and protect me from backing into fire hydrants and stuff like that.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would look good on it man. This weekend I am going to go with Burley 16's on my ride. Love the look of apes. I want to make it more classic looking. Going with retro grips. Then some guards for bags. Love the RK.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I just checked on what the MOCO calls 'Nostalgia' bars yesterday. $229.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Yea, that's what I'm talking about..... looking for pics of those on a hard bag Road King.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Hmmmm dont know if I ever saw a hard bag road king with the nostalgia bars on, most with hard bags go with the regular twin rail.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Ahhh! Found it!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...road-king.html

Seems Google searches HDFoums better than HDForums searches HDForums

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I saw a dozen RK's with those rails on a benefit run Saturday. I liked the look so much I looked them up. That's how I know they're $229. I ride an EGC though.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the RKC nostalgic ones on my RKC that I have cop hard bags on.

My opinion is that they look better with the leather bags but I still like the classic look with the white walls. I also have the front and rear fender rails that really completes the look. Look in the "Turn a Classic into a Classic" sticky thread for some ideas.

Also, be aware that there are different model nostalgic rails for hard bags versus the leather. The ones for leather bags are more rounded at the rear, those are the ones I have and they still fit with the hard bags, albeit its tight.

I think the fatter ones, while they probably do provide more protection aren't very good looking. If someone side swipes you or you side swipe something, I think you got bigger things to worry about than your bags/rails.

Quick Reply: Road King Saddlebag guards