Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Q: How do I download a HD map?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 670 Posts
Default Newbie Q: How do I download a HD map?

I'm new to EFI. I'm doing a mild stage 1; AC, XIED's, MGS slip-ons to my '12 RKC. I'm reading that it would be good to download a HD Stage 1 map.

Great. But how? How do I get it, and how do I load it into the bike? Or is this something my dealer needs to do?

Is it really even needed considering my mods?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
I'm new to EFI. I'm doing a mild stage 1; AC, XIED's, MGS slip-ons to my '12 RKC. I'm reading that it would be good to download a HD Stage 1 map.

Great. But how? How do I get it, and how do I load it into the bike? Or is this something my dealer needs to do?

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, it's gotta go to a dealer - and I wanna say it's in the ballpark of $250.

I'll let others answer the "is it needed" question, but my gut says at least kinda. I the bike is lean from the factory, your stage 1 gonna force even more air into an already lean bike.

I would buy a power vision from fuel moto, and get free maps for life. I paid the dealer for the stage 1 map, and just threw my $$ away. But, I'm doing other motor mods.... Cam, maybe heads one day, etc. If you never plan to do upgrade the motor ever again, maybe a power vision isn't worth it to you.... It's around $500-$550

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed that the download from the dealer is wasted $$ if you plan any future upgrades. If that's all your ever going to do and never add cams or big bore then it may work for your budget. If you are going to add a aftermarket tuner see Jammie from Fuel Moto ether a PC5 or PC Vison are the top picks

My opinion is if the dealer does the add on's they should throw the download in for free, but that will never happen.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,757 Likes on 19,298 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel

Thanks for the help!
If you buy a decent tuner ( recommend a Power Vision ) you will always be able to make adjustments and modifications on the original bike it's originally installed on. If you sell the bike you can "relicense" the Power Vision for a fee. This way you would also save the money from the XIED's. DO NOT WASTE your money on a DEALER DOWNLOAD.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If you buy a decent tuner ( recommend a Power Vision ) you will always be able to make adjustments and modifications on the original bike it's originally installed on. If you sell the bike you can "relicense" the Power Vision for a fee. This way you would also save the money from the XIED's. DO NOT WASTE your money on a DEALER DOWNLOAD.
100% aggree I did this I wasted my money on the hd download on my Dyna I bought a power vision soon after. Ended up trading the dyna for a street glide saved the power vision relicensed works great !!!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Another vote for a power vision from fuelmoto,

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,593 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Its a waste of money. At the price they charge you, you could have a Micro Tuner from Fuel Moto ($200) and it accepts any of their PC-V maps, and they will give you maps free for life.