Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a 12" or higher recurve on an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013 | 01:49 PM
BillinSC
|
Cruiser
Default Anybody using a 12" or higher recurve on an Ultra

So I have the stock 12" windshield on my 2012 Limited which I look through most of the time and use it for long rides and with a passenger. I like that one just fine for that.

I also have an 8" LRS recurve for scooting around close to home and like that one as well. Of course I look over that one and have to deal with a few extra bugs here and there.

I would like to hear from others (with batwing fairings) what their experiences are with other tall "look through" wind shields. The ones I've been considering are...

12" + recurve
14" + recurve
Either of those with the vent that Clearview offers.

I want to make sure the a wife would also be happy (not that she complains much as it is).

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013 | 02:55 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BillinSC
So I have the stock 12" windshield on my 2012 Limited which I look through most of the time and use it for long rides and with a passenger. I like that one just fine for that.

I also have an 8" LRS recurve for scooting around close to home and like that one as well. Of course I look over that one and have to deal with a few extra bugs here and there.

I would like to hear from others (with batwing fairings) what their experiences are with other tall "look through" wind shields. The ones I've been considering are...

12" + recurve
14" + recurve
Either of those with the vent that Clearview offers.

I want to make sure the a wife would also be happy (not that she complains much as it is).

Thanks!
I can't say anything about 12" and over. I use an 11" recurve and I look over it. I could put a 12 on but that would put the top edge of it right in my sight. Some people like to look over them, others like to look through them, but I don't think anyone wants the edge running through the center of their sight. If you only want a tall one for special occasions, I say go for it.

About Clear View shields, I would not go with them. There are much more honorable companies to deal with. You don't need the vent, you should be getting plenty of air and the vents from clearview start to rattle pretty quick if not immediately. They know of the problem but only send a gasket if you complain, that way they save a dollar most of the time. Forget the vent.

Check out Fast Aire and LRS shields, both are sponsors here and both are much better than Clearview.

Old 03-31-2013 | 03:49 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

The trick is to look right over it, not through it or have it be way low directing air, bugs other debirs into you.

When you're sitting on your seat your windshield should be hittin' you from your chin to your nose. That is about right for anyone.

Old 03-31-2013 | 03:55 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer

Originally Posted by BillinSC
I want to make sure the a wife would also be happy (not that she complains much as it is).Thanks!
My son has the 12" recurve from LRS on his FLHC and he likes it better than the stock unit but he is about 6'3" so he looks over it some. His wife commented that she is getting increased wind buffeting from this windshield vs the stock shield.

Last edited by J_ULTRA; 04-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2013 | 03:58 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Old 05-08-2013 | 06:53 PM
Mathnerd
Cruiser

I've got a LRS 14" flat top with recurve and I look over it. You can see what it looks like in my sig pic. I am seriously contemplating a vent of some sort to be able to reduce the low pressure area behind the windshield and reduce the buffeting.