Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio reception help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Let's assume for a minute that its the USB ports that are causing the interference, is there going to be any way that I'm able to isolate it do you think? I guess at this point its worth removing it, seeing if the radio corrects and then if so, I guess I could try wiring the usb ports directly to the battery or maybe the other aux switch. I could never find the plug for the aux switch though. Heard its under the seat but don't see it anywhere.

My concern is that its going to cause interference as long as I have it hidden up near the nacelle, regardless of how its wired.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

we will help you, no worries.. gotta be able to troubleshoot first so lets get the power from that USB removed and go from there.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

Let's get back to basics. You stated that "there's no antenna, so you didn't mess that up". I say there IS an antenna. Your installation manual also says there is an antenna, Road Radio RR 2 and RR 3 Installation, section (7). I would go back and make sure that a) the wire is properly plugged in, and b) the wire is fully extended and not wrapped around with the other electrical wiring. After that we can start looking at other things, but right now you've stated that the radio is getting power so we can rule that out.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

You did connect both your yellow and red wires together at the same power source didn't you? The constant power wire is meant to be fastened to your battery so your radio will always hold its programmed memory, even with the ignition off. The "switched power" wire is meant to fasten to a power source AFTER the ignition switch in order to shut your radio off when you turn your ignition off. If both of these wires aren't tied to 12 volts you ain't gonna hear nuthin'.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Blown fuse?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM
whetsel.m
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Brusier1028
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are hooked up to the antenna ground or something. I'd remove what you did. Look for the ignition wire. Will read 12v when the bike is in the on position and while running. Then for a ground, I would find your own ground. Don't tap into anything already on the bike unless its for the 12v outlet. It should help you. I've been doing mobile audio for over 14 years and having a good ground is important.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM
carrmat
Road Master

Alright, finally got some decent weather today to do some troubleshooting.

I removed the USB port from the equation and I got reception back to the radio. I then wired the USB port separate and direct to the battery. When I have a USB cable plugged into the port, I lose reception to the radio (although its slightly better than it was).

They only meet at the battery terminals. The only other thing is the wires both run up under the fuel tank through the same channel.

Any further thoughts?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

interesting.. the internal switching power supply on the USB hub is what's causing this issue.

Question, why a power USB hub? Why not a single USB cable wired into the box where it needs to be?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
carrmat
Road Master

I'm wondering if its the cheap USB cable I have that isn't insulated enough to keep the interference in check so I'm going to try a new cable.

The USB ports don't have any relation to the radio (other than the annoying interference of course), its actually to power/charge my phone which I use as my GPS.

Quick Reply: Radio reception help