Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed lower fairing today = increased buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed lower fairing today = increased buffeting

Well I installed my new vented lowers today and went for a ride. I was impressed at first cruising the back roads and 2 lane roads but the wind buffeting was horrendous on the highway. My glasses would not stay put above 65 mph and at 80 mph it was just dangerous trying to keep up with my friend on the thruway. I also have the fork baffle and Klockwerks 6.5 Flare WS which I didn't have a problem before my lower fairing. I was thinking of going back to my old 4" stock WS. Any ideas or thoughts into the subject to improve the buffeting and keep my new lowers.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bobgv
Well I installed my new vented lowers today and went for a ride. I was impressed at first cruising the back roads and 2 lane roads but the wind buffeting was horrendous on the highway. My glasses would not stay put above 65 mph and at 80 mph it was just dangerous trying to keep up with my friend on the thruway. I also have the fork baffle and Klockwerks 6.5 Flare WS which I didn't have a problem before my lower fairing. I was thinking of going back to my old 4" stock WS. Any ideas or thoughts into the subject to improve the buffeting and keep my new lowers.
You might try the fork mounted wind deflectors because my guess is that the buffeting is being caused by wind coming up over the lowers. Solute to mid chest instead of forhead and you should feel where the wind is coming from. with that said, the windshiels has always solved this problem for me. i ended up with the HD windsplitter. it worked best for me but windshields are different for everyone it seems. you will figure it out while keeping the lowers on I am sure. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

At this point after trying everything known to man to stop wind on a motorcycle you might be better off driving a car.....just sayin'

Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '09 Ultra, gonna remove the lower for summer, but I also have the batwing mounted wind deflectors. When I have them open cook'n along at 60-70, the air is definitely stronger than when they are closed. I suggest if you want to run at high speeds with the lowers, get the HD batwing mounted vents and close them when you are over 55... it will cut the wind nearly in half and you should have a much better ride. I have a LRS 6" windshield too.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior

So the 4" stock windshield is my next step and then I will try other brands of windshields, maybe LRS recurve. Definitely don't want to use fork or fairing deflectors if I can't help it or maybe just wear goggles. Lol

Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
At this point after trying everything known to man to stop wind on a motorcycle you might be better off driving a car.....just sayin'
The OP is not trying to stop wind he is trying to stop wind buffeting. If you have not experienced it you are fortunate. Depending on how severe it is it can ruin a ride and must be limited if not eliminated.

Wind = Nice

Buffeting = Not so nice

Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
The OP is not trying to stop wind he is trying to stop wind buffeting. If you have not experienced it you are fortunate. Depending on how severe it is it can ruin a ride and must be limited if not eliminated.

Wind = Nice

Buffeting = Not so nice
Thanks for clarifying buffeting to these guys. I love the wind on my face not wind knocking my glasses off and bitch slapping me. lol

Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

Can you feel where the buffeting is coming from with your free hand while riding? I would guess you'll need a taller windshield. If you wear a helmet try a different kinda. My 3/4 with face shield was terrible switched to a full face and it was much better. With shield open or closed. The lowers on the Road Glide really cut down on buffeting. Strange your having the reverse effect.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an ultra and in stock configuration, I get no buffeting. 12" windshield, batwing wind deflectors and vented lowers. If I take off the lowers and put on a 4" windshield, I almost get detached retinas and have to constantly push my shades back up. If I turn my head, I almost lose them.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

I had terrible buffeting until I removed the visor on one of my half helmets. I had put on one of my other helmets (3/4) that doesn't have a visor but has the mic for the intercom. I realized after a short time without a visor on the helmet my eyes weren't vibrating out of their sockets from the buffeting.

FYI, I have an 8" Windvest windshield. Could be another inch taller and it would be perfect.

Quick Reply: Installed lower fairing today = increased buffeting