Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angled valve stems for cast wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM
devious56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Angled valve stems for cast wheels

I know this has been beat to death, but I haven't come across an answer, so,

Has anyone come up with a metal angled valve stem for the 28 spoke cast wheels. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and am tired of having to lay on the garage floor to put air in my rear tire. I have chrome Profile spoked wheels and had a hard time with them, and my new 28 spoke cast wheels look like they could be even worse.

My local HD dealers have said you can't use them, but I have seen them around. What size valve stems, and where to get them would really be helpful. If you tell me I don't know what I'm doing, and that you don't have any trouble with airing your tires, please come over and show me how to do it. I'm getting up in age, and have only been riding 50 years or so, and while I can air my tires in the confines of my clean garage, I really don't like the thought of having to do that at some gas station. Oh yeah, I think I have one of every air chuck made trying to find one that would make this chore easier.

Thanks for the help and ideas, but I'm desperate.
David

Last edited by devious56; 11-12-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm using them on my HD Anarchy Wheels without any issues....Makes life a lot easier thats for sure.

Did the dealer tell you why you can't use them? I know, because HD doesn't sell them and they can't make a buck.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

This will come as no new "news" to you, as you obviously know what you are talking about, as does every other swinging Richard who is the proud owner of the 28 spoke Harley cast wheels.

In order to check your air pressure or add air, you absolutely, positively have to get down on the ground and get into a contorted position. At some point you will have to use one hand to bend the stem to the side while using the other hand to put the chuck on the stem.

I have looked at various stems that use a 45 degree bend, but I am always suspicious that they would create some sort of out of balance problems. So, I continue to struggle, as do others. I always check my air pressure in the relative comfort of my garage where I have a mat to lay on. It is just a poor design that we have to endure. There are several vendors that produce an angled air stem that you screw to the original stem when you want to add air, then you remove it when your tire is pressured up. You can not drive with the angled stem in place, because they create an out of balance situation. So, I don't have a good solution for a bad problem.

Last edited by texaswiz; 03-29-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I even bought the flexible extension piece from HD that is supposed to make it easier to check and add air to your tires.But it is not a zero loss piece,so it is in the spare parts box now.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by texaswiz
This will come as no new "news" to you, as you obviously know what you are talking about, as does every other swinging Richard who is the proud owner of the 28 spoke Harley cast wheels.

In order to check your air pressure or add air, you absolutely, positively have to get down on the ground and get into a contorted position. At some point you will have to use one hand to bend the stem to the side while using the other hand to put the chuck on the stem.

I have looked at various stems that use a 45 degree bend, but I am always suspicious that they would create some sort of out of balance problems. So, I continue to struggle, as do others.
Your wheels/tires are balanced with the valve stems attached, so how will they affect the balance? The billet ones weight almost nothing. Also, bending the stock stem over time will cause what to happen???

To each his own.....

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
devious56
Cruiser

Yes, I too have bought the flexable extension, and while it helps, it doesn't solve the problem. I got past the the air loss problem by hooking the extension to my Slime 12 volt pump before screwing it on the valve. But, I'm not big on continually bending the rubber valve stem to be able to air the tires or check the pressure.

I'm amazed that Harley hasn't felt this was important enough to do something to fix it. Many owners complain about it, but just keep working around it.

I really like the looks of my Profile wheel, but am going to cast so that I can possible repair a flat while on the road instead of having to call a tow due to the inner tube that is now in my wheels. Harley came out with a fix for this with the new version of the Profile wheels which are now tubeless. Unfortunaley, the fix isn't applical to my rims, or so they say.

David

If someone does have a solution to the valve stem situation, the size of the metal angled stem would also be nice. The best I've found says the stems are 11.3 mm but somehow that does sit well.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by devious56
Yes, I too have bought the flexable extension, and while it helps, it doesn't solve the problem. I got past the the air loss problem by hooking the extension to my Slime 12 volt pump before screwing it on the valve. But, I'm not big on continually bending the rubber valve stem to be able to air the tires or check the pressure.

I'm amazed that Harley hasn't felt this was important enough to do something to fix it. Many owners complain about it, but just keep working around it.

I really like the looks of my Profile wheel, but am going to cast so that I can possible repair a flat while on the road instead of having to call a tow due to the inner tube that is now in my wheels. Harley came out with a fix for this with the new version of the Profile wheels which are now tubeless. Unfortunaley, the fix isn't applical to my rims, or so they say.

David

If someone does have a solution to the valve stem situation, the size of the metal angled stem would also be nice. The best I've found says the stems are 11.3 mm but somehow that does sit well.
When I ordered mine for the Anarchy wheels I ordered the size for HD wheels but the threaded portion that goes into the wheel was too large. I had to call the vendor and get the next smallest size. Not sure what size that is right now. I have to check my receipts.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one I use. http://www.pjsparts.com

Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm. I have not tried them, but they are mentioned in other threads on this forum as working.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM
devious56
Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions, I couldn't find any valve stems on the PJS site, and will go look at the other one.

David

Last edited by devious56; 03-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Angled valve stems for cast wheels