Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angled valve stems for cast wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:15 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
Well crap.....I just ordered a set of the angled stems from motorcycleanchor.com from a link on this page. The order went through and I paid through paypal. Then I saw the post above about the passing of the person that runs the site and when I tried to go to the page by manually entering it, it says no new orders are being accepted. My money was 'accepted' through paypal so I sent them an email to see if they're back in business or not
I posted the above message earlier today. Not only did they respond and tell me they did receive the order but also shipped it same day....impressive

Old 07-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Allllllllllllllll rightyyyyyyyy thennnnnnn

Thanks to the OP and the rest of you for convincing me that I needed these angled stems.

My tires are pretty bad, have commander IIs in the garage and well, figure I'd get that last 1k out of the existing tires. Having said that... Maybe I should just put the new skin on.

Anyways, went the eBay route for the Bridgeport/Ariele angled stems. 25 bones, ships from TX...

Truth be told, all these things DESPITE the "Italy" language could in fact be made from China.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Got mine a couple of years ago from kurvygirl.com,completely satisfied with the angled valves,Made in Italy and also found on Ducatis.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:41 PM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
This will come as no new "news" to you, as you obviously know what you are talking about, as does every other swinging Richard who is the proud owner of the 28 spoke Harley cast wheels.

In order to check your air pressure or add air, you absolutely, positively have to get down on the ground and get into a contorted position. At some point you will have to use one hand to bend the stem to the side while using the other hand to put the chuck on the stem.

I have looked at various stems that use a 45 degree bend, but I am always suspicious that they would create some sort of out of balance problems. So, I continue to struggle, as do others. I always check my air pressure in the relative comfort of my garage where I have a mat to lay on. It is just a poor design that we have to endure. There are several vendors that produce an angled air stem that you screw to the original stem when you want to add air, then you remove it when your tire is pressured up. You can not drive with the angled stem in place, because they create an out of balance situation. So, I don't have a good solution for a bad problem.
I used them on my 2013 flhtc on the front and had not one problem in 36k miles fyi

Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have an older bike and fitted a right-angle valve to the rubber valve stem. The darned valve stem split while on tour, giving us a 'puncture' that was unrepairable, indeed undetectible on the roadside. I now use short metal stems.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by devious56
I know this has been beat to death, but I haven't come across an answer, so,

Has anyone come up with a metal angled valve stem for the 28 spoke cast wheels. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and am tired of having to lay on the garage floor to put air in my rear tire. I have chrome Profile spoked wheels and had a hard time with them, and my new 28 spoke cast wheels look like they could be even worse.

My local HD dealers have said you can't use them, but I have seen them around. What size valve stems, and where to get them would really be helpful. If you tell me I don't know what I'm doing, and that you don't have any trouble with airing your tires, please come over and show me how to do it. I'm getting up in age, and have only been riding 50 years or so, and while I can air my tires in the confines of my clean garage, I really don't like the thought of having to do that at some gas station. Oh yeah, I think I have one of every air chuck made trying to find one that would make this chore easier.

Thanks for the help and ideas, but I'm desperate.
David
I use a little pan cake compressor to put air in my tires. I bought the Harley tire pressure gauge (Part #1270096) which is angles so that it fits over top of the valve stem without having to angle it. I also jack the bike up high so I don't have to lay on the floor or anything. Just sit on a still. I use a J&S jack. Used to hate checking my tire pressure and putting air in the tires. Now it' a snap.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 AM
pcwizard
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pcwizard
That's more like it!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 AM
rowle
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All,
just found this thread and thought i would add my 2 cents.

I looked into this last year so called the company who makes the metal angled valves - they told me that you need a flat 10mm of metal where the valve seats to. The FLHTCU wheels (28 spoke) have a slight radius when you remove the old rubber valve so they said not to use them.

I still have the rubber valves and all the hassle every time i need to check pressures.

Rowle- -UK

Old 07-05-2016, 09:23 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rowle
All, just found this thread and thought i would add my 2 cents. I looked into this last year so called the company who makes the metal angled valves - they told me that you need a flat 10mm of metal where the valve seats to. The FLHTCU wheels (28 spoke) have a slight radius when you remove the old rubber valve so they said not to use them. I still have the rubber valves and all the hassle every time i need to check pressures. Rowle- -UK
I have 83 degree valve stems on my 2012 FLHTCU with 28 spoke wheels. I've had no problems with them and they make checking air pressure easier. These are what I used.
https://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.ph...69_237_257_258

Quick Reply: Angled valve stems for cast wheels