Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I screwed myself on my new wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
shongboy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I screwed myself on my new wheel

I'm rebuilding an 06 electra glide. I picked up a newer 18" street glide wheel to put on it off of ebay. New wheel still had the bearings and sleeve installed and i was easily able to knock them out with a flat head screw driver and hammer.

I was really trying to avoid buying a bearing remover/installer so I bought a piece of threaded rod some washers and nuts to press the new bearings and sleeve in. Well I tried to doing both bearings at the same time and the tourque was too much for the 5/16" threaded rod and it broke with the bearings halfway in. I thought no big deal I'll just finish knocking them in with a hammer and block of wood.

Not thinking of what the spacer would do i finished knocking them in and realized the spacer fell inside the hub and is now wedged between the inside of the hub and the bearing at an angle so that the edge of the sleeve is up against the opening of the bearing pretty much blocking it off.

I bought the pit posse hd bearing remover/installer and was able to get one bearing out but with the way the sleeve is stuck the bearing puller won't go in far enough to catch the inside of the bearing and there isn't enough room to catch anything with the screwdriver to knock it out from the other side. Not sure what i'm going to do now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Johnny103ci
Cruiser

I have some for sale if you're interested.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/stock...ck-wheels.html

Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

You could freeze the bearing to see if it might shrink enough to get it out easier. I think you do that with liquid nitrogen or something like that

I can only assume that regardless of what you do the bearing you eventually get out will have to be replaced due to potential damage getting it out.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant imagine if you have one bearing out you couldnt tap the spacer aside unless its dug into the wheel

Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm another job where the proper tools and proper use would have worked. Sounds like ya got a mess good luck

Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dremel a relief cut in one of the bearings. the cut will remove the tention, and allow you to remove it. price of a bearing is way cheaper than a wheel. i'd probably change both, now that the tube has boogered the seal all up. hope this helps....steve

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This it one of the many reasons I beleive the right tool for the job and why I have more in special Harley tools then I do my bike and sidecar together.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the pit posse. It really makes no sense what you are saying. That remover lip should easily catch on the inside of the bearing bore even with the internal spacer pressing against it. Make sure you are using the correct size remover collet.

Reading this story is exactly why you cannot trust bearings in wheels you buy from anyone you don't know. Bearing races can be easily damaged by beating and bamming with wood or other shortcut blunt objects. You NEVER install both bearings at the same time. The bearing installation procedure combined with the wheel installation procedure is key to ensuring that your rotors center in the caliper(s).

If you don't know the proper procedure, you should ask or get a service manual. In the end, the correct manual and tools always, always pay for themselves. Lecture over.

Try searching for wheel bearing threads on this forum. There are several.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM
shongboy
Novice

You guys are right I should of bit the bullet and bought the proper tool from the get go. Thought I could get it done on the cheap but guess I was wrong. I like the idea of the dremel. Been looking for a good enough excuse to buy one too.

As far as getting new bearings already a step ahead of you on that one and have a new set ready to go in.

And for what its worth the Pit Posse HD bearing remove/installer worked just as it is suppose to and I would highly recommend it. Got it for $90 off amazon and it comes with the necessary pieces for 3/4", 1", and 25mm bearings.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you have a brass punch to knock the other one out. Should be easier on the surrounding metals. Less chance of messing something up with brass

Quick Reply: Think I screwed myself on my new wheel