Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing weight on rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Strait
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing weight on rim?

Had my factory tire replaced other day under warranty got to looking at it and damn if it ain't a balancing weight on the middle of my rim kinda pissed me off two questions here.

1. I have heard people that mount motorcycle tires say as long as you put the yellow dot by the valve stem you don't have to balance it seemed odd to me but my old bike ran fine with no weights on it and no balancing material in the tire fact or fiction and I just got lucky?

2. Factory Harley tire on new bike had no weights on it do they put balancing material in the tire? I looked and don't see any weights on new bike wheels at dealer if the y don't put balance material in the tire wtf did that dude put four pieces of self adhering balancing weights on my rim for undoubtably he put it on a machine and it needed it but if I had a 2000 dollar chrome wheel on it I'd have lost my **** if I'd seen it on that.

It's getting my blood pressure up now just thinking about this as I'm pretty **** about this kind of stuff if its needed the weights are coming off and some dyna beads are going in the front.

Last edited by Strait; 03-27-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Nitro NHRA
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine came with weights right off the showroom floor.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Strait
Cruiser

I may not have been looking extremely hard but they didn't have any i could see but I know mine didn't come with one and I sho don't like the one that's on it now.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on my new ultra. Hey, at least they balanced them!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully...

You can come back after that tank slapper smacks you down on the pavement, and tell us how you would like somebody to balance your wheels! Ugly maybe, but...

Screw it, figure it out for yourself!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dyna Beads or Ride On

Problem solved

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

The wheels and tires I have on my bike now do not have any weights on them nor do they have anything in the tires. That doesn't mean the next set of tires I put on there won't need anything. Tires ain't pretty and they ain't perfect. Take the weights off, throw some Dyna Beads or RideOn in there and go on your merry little way. Truthfully, it ain't rocket science.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

1. Not true. Simply gets you to the best starting point for completing the balancing.
2. Nothing wrong with balanced weights! They've been a fact of life in all my 40+ years of riding. Don't think any more and ride on! Life is too short....

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have weights on my factory OEM wheels, one one the front and rear have come off. I think the MoCo could do better those things ought to stay on.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
1. Not true. Simply gets you to the best starting point for completing the balancing.
2. Nothing wrong with balanced weights! They've been a fact of life in all my 40+ years of riding. Don't think any more and ride on! Life is too short....
This is true. I had to have weights put on my Renagade 21" it just wouldn't balance out with dyna beads. Google Dyna beads snake oil......I myself will never run them again.

I didn't want wheel weights on my 21" but what are you going to do when your out of balance surely can't ride it that way. My front tire was bouncing/skipping down the road at 80mph

Quick Reply: Balancing weight on rim?