Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing weight on rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the harley custom wheels are not necessarily heaviest at the valve stem my anarchy was about 90 deg off. I desperately tried to balance with beads but just couldn't get it right finally went to stick on weights doesn't look that bad and rides smoother than snot. Next tire change I might remove weights and try ride on and see if that works it sounds good,but for now ill stick with good ole stick on weights.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TxFF636
Lol, I think people just post comments whether it pertains to the original comment or not just to see how posts they can post.
The irony in that post is unbelievable....

Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM
TxFF636
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Moron

Originally Posted by Frankenbagger
The irony in that post is unbelievable....
Yes moron the irony, it sure is unbelievable....

Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
Dyna Beads or Ride On

Problem solved
Agreed.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TxFF636
Yes moron the irony, it sure is unbelievable....

Useless bitching and name calling, in 2 posts you already covered everything we need here. Glad we have contributors like you to this forum! Wouldn't want things becoming to helpful and productive if you useless trolls were gone...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done a LOT of tires. Yes you put the yellow dot some brands have other colors at the valve stem but does not meany you will not have to add weight.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Strait
Had my factory tire replaced other day under warranty got to looking at it and damn if it ain't a balancing weight on the middle of my rim kinda pissed me off two questions here... It's getting my blood pressure up now just thinking about this as I'm pretty **** about this kind of stuff if its needed the weights are coming off and some dyna beads are going in the front.
Wow! This is a first for me. Hearing someone complain that the tech did what he should and balanced your tire. I'd wager to say that 90% of all vehicles on the road either have weights on the wheels or they're out of balance. If you're in the remaining 10% and your wheels/tires didn't need any weight to balance them, consider yourself fortunate - it's not the norm.

Originally Posted by grbrown
1. Not true. Simply gets you to the best starting point for completing the balancing.
2. Nothing wrong with balanced weights! They've been a fact of life in all my 40+ years of riding. Don't think any more and ride on! Life is too short....
While I agree with you that aligning the dot does not eliminate the need for balancing, I'll disagree that doing so gets you to the best starting point. Further explanation below.

Originally Posted by fat daddy
Some of the harley custom wheels are not necessarily heaviest at the valve stem my anarchy was about 90 deg off. ...
This is not only true with Harley custom wheels, it's true for every wheel out there. The assumption that everyone makes is that all wheels are in perfect balance, and then when you install the valve stem, that becomes the heavy spot. This assumption is very far from reality in many cases.

I have two bikes and not one of the four wheels between them is heaviest at the valve stem. Take a look at the attached pics and notice where the valve stem is in the balancing stand. Nearly 180 degrees off from being the heavy spot. This is a factory stock HD wheel. In the other pic you'll see where I marked the heavy spot and that is where the tire dot will be aligned when mounted.

Originally Posted by 46u
I have done a LOT of tires. Yes you put the yellow dot some brands have other colors at the valve stem but does not meany you will not have to add weight.
Again, aligning the dot to the valve stem assumes that the wheel is in perfect balance. In the real world that is seldom the case.

Attached Thumbnails Balancing weight on rim?-rear-wheel-balance-009.jpg   Balancing weight on rim?-rear-wheel-balance-013.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have ever expierenced the wobble, you will never forget. I get mine balanced with weights and use Ride On.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

Last edited by drukanfu; 03-28-2013 at 10:23 PM.