Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer a road glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
DAVETHEBUILDER
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trailer a road glide

Hey guys Ineed some help I need to trailer my bike to my engine builder and dont know were to hook the straps on the front I thought about the crash bar, any experiance I also have fiberglass lowers

Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: trailer a road glide

strap to rear swing arms each side to keep rear from dancing. use soft straps and tie downs on the front off the bars close to triple tree. Snug them to draw down slightly on the front forks.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I'd remove the lower fairings and attach the tie downs to the engine guard. Lowers come off in 20 minutes. Easy, and you won't risk marring them. As for the back, the swing arm is OK, and the passenger floorboard/peg mounts are a good attachment point as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with detaching the lowers. The builder will have to remove them anyway. I personally would take off the rear bags for the same reasons. It makes life easier on the mechanix.

Normally, I would say to run the straps from the handle bars forward, but with the fairing, you may have to run them aft. Run a strap thru the front tire or one around each fork leg to keep the bike from rolling back in that case. Be sure you do not crunch down the front forks too far. You want them to have some travel.

A strap in the back to keep you from bouncing is really only necessary if you are going a long way or over rough roads. Does not hurt, but we normally don't use them when we pick up bikes for the shop.

We never use crash bars as ties down pointas they do not provide the stability that a higher tie down point offers.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and ignore the Signature... that was not aimed at you...

Trailering to a shop is acceptable... trailering the bike 80 miles to a rally and riding in from the hotel... is a different story!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Check out this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/m_771610/tm.htm

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hog straps on each side of the frame up front, and each side of the swing arm, along with a good set of ratchet straps.
Or why not just have the dealer doing the work come pick the bike up? Most Shops will do this.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interestingtie down tipson securing your bike in the trailer.
http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15&a mp;Itemid=43

Hope this helps.

SteveO

Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haul my EGC all the time and I strap the front to the handlebars down low. I have it set-up to loop it and it takes me about 5 minutes to strap the entire bike down. Here's the thing if that make you nervous......I hauled it from Va. to Central Florida and never had a problem. It's fast and it's secure...Good Luck.

Greg

[IMG]local://upfiles/17184/D768AF76C2C84FA98BA526A0B4E570B8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I trailered mile about 500 miles round trip - I used rachet straps around the engine guard, backed up with friction straps.According to the service manager at the dealer, they come from the factory tied down by the crash bar. My eye bolts in the trailer are mounted to give nearly a 45 degree angle if looking from the front, and slightly ahead of the front axle. If properly tied, you can shake the bike without it moving relative to the trailer - the whole trailer moves. I tie off the rear for peace of mind, but it doesn't wander on the wood trailer floorboards. It might on a smooth metal deck.

Quick Reply: trailer a road glide