Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy, trade a CVO Softail for a Stock Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:32 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

put a deposit on the SG to hold it, rent one for a day or two, then decide. not all dealers offer rentals, but it would be great if you had one-stop shopping.

ps I never bought into the CVO thinking - but I like to tinker with my bikes.

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:41 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Many dealers will rent you a bike and then take the price of the rental off, at time of purchase. I'd ride something besides a Street Glide. Something with full suspension like an Ultra, Road King or Electra Glide. That will give you a comparison to the Glide.

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:44 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Ray Lloyd
I'll add my two cents..... First, I don't think you are crazy at all. You gotta' have a bike you LOVE to ride. I think about my bike, and riding it, every day, all day. Even if it's a quick one hour blitz to get the cobwebs out of my head, or a 1,000 mile straight through blast to get to the mountains, it's all good, and I eagerly anticipate the next ride. That's how you SHOULD feel about your bike.

I think $25,000.00 for trade-in at a dealer is fantastic.

I know your bike is a Softail CVO and not a Street Glide, but perhaps my thought process will help..... When I decided to buy an SG, I rode both the regular Street Glide, and the CVO version. Of course the sales guy was pushing the CVO big time. There are just a couple small things I don't like about the CVO, the hard lowers being one of them. I think they make the bike look heavy and ungainly. I also don't really care about the stereo, I didn't listen to music my first 36 years of riding, and don't see any reason to start now.

The bottom line was $19,500.00 out the door for the regular Glide, and $34,000.00 for the CVO. That's a difference of $14,500.00, and that buys a whole lot of mods and accesories so you can make the bike yours.

Tallying up the mods I've done to my Street Glide, I find that I would have spent an additional $8,000.00 on the CVO to get it looking and performing the way I want MY bike to look. That brings the total for the CVO to $42,000.00, and I just could'nt cotton up to that.

I have $10,000.00 in mods to my Street Glide so far, and looking at the matrix I made up for what else I need to do to finish her, I'll be spending another $4,500.00 to chrome the swing arm, add a few more chrome parts, and the custom paint job in silvers and chrome-ish grays to match the HD Vaquero pattern, she'll be complete then, and the total will be $34,000.00 when all is said and done. Not shown in the present photo are the chrome front brake calipers, stainless braided brake and clutch line, painted inner fairing, chrome starter cover, chrome voltage regulator, and auxiliary running and brake light that were just added. Those are all included in the $10,000.00 invested so far.

That's $8,000.00 less than the CVO to bring it to the same point.

That buys me about 10 trips out to the mountains on the Street Glide!

By all means, before you take this leap, as others suggest, rent an SG for a weekend and ride the hell out of it. If that does it for you, do the swap, start adding some mods, don't look back at your decision, and dig your new bike!

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decided!
The CVO SG will hold value better. It's true that it's more money up-front. $34,000 plus $8,000 for your mods is up to $42,000. When you would go to sell or trade, you'll get close to $30,000-32,000, depending how old it is and conditions.

Your SG was $19,500 plus $14,500 for a total of $34,000. When you go to sell it, you'll be looking at $16,000-18,000.

It's all numbers. I know the CVO's don't appeal to all, but they do sell, and many like them.

For the OP, I've got a Softail and a Touring bike. I've done 500 mile days on the Softail. It's a fun bike to ride, and I enjoy each mile. But, when I get on my Touring bike, the ride is so much more comfortable.

You'd really be doing yourself a disservice to not ride a SG before you bought it. Know what you're expecting, and you'll know if it meets those expectations.

Storage differences aside, the SG is a going to be more comfortable, but don't let the dealership sell it to you for $23,000.

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:46 PM
plutnicki
Road Master

Not enough information for me. Sorry. You don't say what you don't like about the CVO Softail, so it's hard to say whether you'll like a touring bike better. I think the advice to rent, especially when dealing with that kind of money, is sound.

As far as the deal, getting $25k in trade value is a pretty solid offer. Assuming you are getting a "color" on the glide:

MSRP is 20,309, plus 295 for Cruise, 1195 for ABS/Security, and 435 for destination puts you at $22,234 for the Glide. So there's about $2800 delta. Since they're giving you top dollar on your trade, you can bet they aren't going to come down any on the new bike.

I'd make sure they discount any accessories you but at the time too, just to maximize that $2000 delta.

Old 03-25-2013 | 03:00 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by dehammerschmidt
I've struggled to love my bike for a long time. For some reason, I am convinced that I would love a touring bike, specifically a Street Glide more.
Those two sentences say that you don't like what you have and would like something else. Do it.

Old 03-25-2013 | 03:07 PM
Proaction14
Road Captain

Having owned both at the same time, there is no real comparison even if the Softail is a CVO. The SG offers riders so much more.

Old 03-26-2013 | 08:57 AM
Farmerdawg
Intermediate
Default 2G for options

That will get you like a decent seat and pipes, that's about it. I've been deconstructing my Street Glide now for over the past few months. Everything on this bike is the cheapest stuff they can put on. The mirrors, the nut attaches to a threaded chunk of plastic, the shocks ( which I have replaced thanks to Howard of motorcycle metal) I was told by Howard are only worth $12, the speakers are absolutely worthless and I am not even sure if the little round thing on the back that is supposed to be a magnet has any magnetic qualities. All said and done I would say I have invested twice that amount and that's not even getting into doing some motor upgrades. But when I get it put back together it will be how I want the bike, not how the MoCo wants to set it up like they do with the CVO models. don't get me wrong I love the look of the CVO's but it doesn't give you room to make it yours, unless your willing to pull off perfectly good chrome and replace it with aftermarket stuff. Just mytwo cents

I've struggled to love my bike for a long time. I own. CVO Softail ConV, 2011 with less than 2k miles. For some reason, I am convinced that I would love a touring bike, specifically a Street Glide more.

I was made an offer today to trade my CVO for a 2013 Street Glide for 25k. That would leave me about 2k to use on upgrades to my new bike.

It seems ridiculous to even consider this but I wanted to see what others thought. I appreciate any opinions

Old 06-25-2013 | 12:45 AM
dehammerschmidt
|
6th Gear
Default The final verdict

First, thanks to everyone on the forum for their two cents. Lots of good points all the way around. Some quick background, I only have 2k miles because I'm active duty Army and spend more time overseas than home. Also, the source of the cash for bike trades.

So the lack of mileage was less about like and more about time. As for why, just didn't feel right. So after a few test rides I got a good even trade and brought home a new SG last week.

Best decision I have made. Now my only problem is financing the mods.

Old 06-25-2013 | 02:25 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

First, thanks to everyone on the forum for their two cents. Lots of good points all the way around. Some quick background, I only have 2k miles because I'm active duty Army and spend more time overseas than home. Also, the source of the cash for bike trades.

So the lack of mileage was less about like and more about time. As for why, just didn't feel right. So after a few test rides I got a good even trade and brought home a new SG last week.

Best decision I have made. Now my only problem is financing the mods.

Welcome to the fourms, welcome to TEAM BATWING! and I can relate with the being gone all the time due to being active duty, thats why I only have 8000 on my 2011 limited, 2nd deployment since I have owned it,lol. If I was you, I would ride the crap out of it while I figured out what I wanted to do with it, that would give you time to save some nickles towards mods. Congrats on your new sled, enjoy that bad boy and post some pics so we all can see it. Stay safe bro.

Old 06-25-2013 | 04:16 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain

You have made the switch by now... Why not a Street Glide CVO... Hope you are happy with the new bike... My guess is that you will eventually end up on a Ultra Classic/Limited (CVO)... Welcome to the touring class... Happy trails...

Quick Reply: Am I crazy, trade a CVO Softail for a Stock Street Glide