Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy, trade a CVO Softail for a Stock Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 07:08 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

The crazy part is coming to a web based forum, and asking such a question.
You either have far to much money, not nearly enough common sense, or both.
Hey, you asked.

I rode jap bikes for many years, and defied Harley for various reasons.
Then while in Vegas with friends, we rented them, I came home, sold my Honda, and have had 3 Harleys since.

As was mentioned from another poster, rent one for a day or weekend.

It is completely foolish to spend $20K plus, without spending some saddle time on one. You will know when its the one you should own.

Last edited by VTL nut; 03-25-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:22 AM
shakrr
Road Master

you need another cvo

Old 03-25-2013 | 07:36 AM
rapz
Road Captain

You should rent the Road Glide or the Ultra Classic for a couple of days. I bought a bike recently and had about 2,500 miles on it within six days so imho you need to ride for real and then you'll know what you need.

Old 03-25-2013 | 07:54 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

I would love to own a CVO, but if you want an SG, go for it. Nothing better than being on the bike you really want. Ride safe!

Old 03-25-2013 | 07:57 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

If you are certain that the SG is the bike you want..... I wouldn't let that deal slip away. That's the best deal you're going to get at a dealership.
2,000 can get your Stage 1 done before driving off the lot!

Last edited by Roger That; 03-25-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 08:04 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

Yes. Test ride the glide. But a cvo is very cool to own. I have one. I gagged on the price but they do retain much of that value so it's not like ur throwing the doh away. Once u have a cvo... its a little hard to imagine going back if not necessary. It's the best harley makes. That said however. . U can trick out a*street*glide with big sucker intake. . Pipes. Some chrome. Maybe wheels. ...for maybe 3000 and have a hot looking bike. .. that extra money is gone tho. I think the touring bikes r totally worth it. Flexibility. . Tunes. . Better ride. And u can make it a screamer ifu want!

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:37 AM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Thumbs up

I'll add my two cents..... First, I don't think you are crazy at all. You gotta' have a bike you LOVE to ride. I think about my bike, and riding it, every day, all day. Even if it's a quick one hour blitz to get the cobwebs out of my head, or a 1,000 mile straight through blast to get to the mountains, it's all good, and I eagerly anticipate the next ride. That's how you SHOULD feel about your bike.

I think $25,000.00 for trade-in at a dealer is fantastic.

I know your bike is a Softail CVO and not a Street Glide, but perhaps my thought process will help..... When I decided to buy an SG, I rode both the regular Street Glide, and the CVO version. Of course the sales guy was pushing the CVO big time. There are just a couple small things I don't like about the CVO, the hard lowers being one of them. I think they make the bike look heavy and ungainly. I also don't really care about the stereo, I didn't listen to music my first 36 years of riding, and don't see any reason to start now.

The bottom line was $19,500.00 out the door for the regular Glide, and $34,000.00 for the CVO. That's a difference of $14,500.00, and that buys a whole lot of mods and accesories so you can make the bike yours.

Tallying up the mods I've done to my Street Glide, I find that I would have spent an additional $8,000.00 on the CVO to get it looking and performing the way I want MY bike to look. That brings the total for the CVO to $42,000.00, and I just could'nt cotton up to that.

I have $10,000.00 in mods to my Street Glide so far, and looking at the matrix I made up for what else I need to do to finish her, I'll be spending another $4,500.00 to chrome the swing arm, add a few more chrome parts, and the custom paint job in silvers and chrome-ish grays to match the HD Vaquero pattern, she'll be complete then, and the total will be $34,000.00 when all is said and done. Not shown in the present photo are the chrome front brake calipers, stainless braided brake and clutch line, painted inner fairing, chrome starter cover, chrome voltage regulator, and auxiliary running and brake light that were just added. Those are all included in the $10,000.00 invested so far.

That's $8,000.00 less than the CVO to bring it to the same point.

That buys me about 10 trips out to the mountains on the Street Glide!

By all means, before you take this leap, as others suggest, rent an SG for a weekend and ride the hell out of it. If that does it for you, do the swap, start adding some mods, don't look back at your decision, and dig your new bike!

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decided!

Last edited by Ray Lloyd; 03-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 11:43 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

The dealer is flipping numbers. A SG should be no more that 20500 OTD (should be less...most states you dont pay tax if you are trading a vehicle that is worth more than what you are buying) that should leave you with at least 4500.00...

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:48 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

I dont know how long you have owned the CVO but seems like you dont put many miles on the bikes so If your buying jsut for looks and value Id stay with the CVO , it will hold the value longer and is a little more unique. if you want the SG because you think it will be more comfortable, your right ! IMO there is no better handling or comfortable line of bikes that HD makes than the touring ine. My Road Glide is better at all speeds from parking lot to freeway to carving canyons than my fatboy ever was.

In the end get what puts a smile on your face its your $.

I also alway tell people to rent one for the weekend and ride it before you make the deal. My local dealer will take the price of the rental off the purchase if you buy

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:50 AM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser

Life is short, get what you really want, your gonna wind up on a touring bike sooner or later anyway if that's what you have your heart set on.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy, trade a CVO Softail for a Stock Street Glide