Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already

From Ultraultra...
[font="times new roman"][size="3"]Some dealers offer 20% off, and most of us know who they are. They CAN’T sell at a loss. I don’t know this to be a fact, but I would guess that the markup from dealer cost to MSRP on accessories to be about 30%. Most dealers will give a 10% discount.
[font="tahoma"]From my limited experience, the mark-up on HD parts is more like 40%, but it varies on the part. So even at a 20% discount they're making a decent profit.

My local dealer is probably average. They love to sell you things, but don't give you the time of day unless they think you're in the market to buy something. The girl who runs the clothing section knows I won't buy any clothing, except when on sale, so she doesn't interact with me in any way, barely speaking at all. My relationship with this shop goes back 11 years, and only once did anyone ever ask me "How's your bike running," or "Have you taken any trips lately." That exception was after buying my new SG from them the owner asked how I liked the bike--an act that shocked me, frankly. I told him all was well, but that I didn't like the rattling in 5th and 6th gears when cruising below 2200 rpm's in those gears. He said he hadn't heard of this problem (obviously doesn't read HDForums) but would check on it through his sources. That was six weeks ago, but two weeks ago I asked him if he had heard anything and he said "No, but I reported it." Great, how about some follow-up!? A few days later he came up to me and said, "I'm going to a dealer convention in Florida next week and will get an answer for you." So far, still no response. My point here is that they are almost totally non-proactive. They just want to sell you things and my life with the bike is otherwise irrelevant to them. I may get a response to this question, but I will have to be patient. I would be shocked if I got a call from him directly addressing the issue.

Back in the days when they had a waiting list, about four years for RK's, I got on the list like everyone else. The dealer's policy was to sell at MSRP and would sell bikes according to "The List." The exception was that the owner wanted the option to "sell a bike to his friends" outside the list. Well, I obviously wasn't "a friend," because I'm still waiting for a call, and some of my friends got two bikes during that period. Of course, the list has long disappeared and bikes are plentiful on their showroom. When I decided to buy a new bike last November I chose one salesman that I respected and got a quote, letting him know that I was checking around with other dealerships. I did and he gave me the best price, so that sealed the deal, and I have no compaints about his handling of the sale--quite the contrary. They were very professional in every way. He even called me later to warn me to be careful installing the license plate, as on SG's it was easy to scratch the fender doing it. He's the exception here, and there are people in the parts department who bend over backwards to help, even if it means a 20¢ sale, so they're not all indifferent by a long shot.

The point is that although they are courteous enough, this dealership as a whole has little rapport with their customers at all, and I'm not alone. If you need a part or have a problem they're more than willing to help, but that's their job. Do I buy parts from them? Yes, but only small stuff or things I need in a hurry. Otherwise, I buy on-line, and I have no qualms about it. I would've bought my initial purchase of parts for the new bike had they offered 20%-off retail like some dealers do, a proposition that would've landed them about $2500-worth of sales over a few weeks, but no offeres w

Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The whole thing boils down to finding a dealer and staff that you like and feel comfortable dealing with. That's why there are several. So far I have three approx 100 miles from my home. My local, I can't buy a bike from him. I can get good service and parts from him when needed and I like the majority of the personnel there.Most of the time I buy parts on-line and do the work myself. They willingly mount my new tires I carry in and don't give me any grief for buying on-line.

Everybody has to make a profit to keep the doors open. How much you want to contribute to keeping the doors open is up to you and do you feel good with your purchase when you get done. When you find a dealer like that, then that's the one you should patronize.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You force us to pay over MSRP, force us to pay high parts prices, unreasonable intrest rates, service to the point of wanting royalty treatment...
Hell, your just like everyone else.... I lov ya...

Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
rollover
Road Captain

The dealerships that are getting bashed are getting what they give. I don't think anyone is going into the dealer and getting "red carpet" treatment and coming out bashing them. The dealer I bought from did some recall service on my bike this past summer. When I took the bike in, it was spotless and detailed. When I got it back, it was filthy. It's the small things that go a long way. I was in there this past fall buying a small partand the parts guy tells me that they will be running a special soon on the 95 kit. When I mention this to the service manager, he gets all bent out of shape that I was privy to this info. He denies the special and then tells me I will receive a flyer when the special is to take place. Did I ever receive the flyer? Nope. I spent over $20k and apparently that wasn't enough to get on their mailing list. Again, it's the small things. Seeing as there are dealers out there offering 20% discounts on parts, I don't think it should be out of the question for dealers that you buy your bike from to offer you the same discount. I get better deals from shops that I haven't spent $20K+. These are the things that keep you going back to the dealer you purchased from. When I was in the dealer buying a small item recently, the manager came up and mentioned that they don't see me in there much. Why would I? I told him I get better deals at other shops that I didn't buy my bike from. I don't expect every dealer to offer every person to walk through the door the 20% discount on stuff but at least offer it to the guys that bought their bikes from you.I get more mailings about specials and discounts from 2 area dealers that I have bought nothing but T-shirts from. The dealer I bought my bike from sends me nothing. Again, the small things.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

There are dealers and then there are stealers. I bought a tach and installation kit from the only Harley dealer in Manassas, Va.. After coming home I decided I would rather have the tank mounted tach so I took the tach back to the dealer unopened. Basically, the counter man did surgery on the package and tach. It was obvious he was desperate to find something wrong. But he failed and when he did, he told me there would be a 20% restocking fee. An hour earlier someone told me there was no restocking fee. But that's okay. I'm going to buy some other things and I'll just exchange it. Nope, they will exchange for me but still want to charge me $60 to turn around and sit it on the shelf. I ask to see the parts manager and she came out to inform me that it would cost me $60 just like the counter man said it would. I asked to see the owner or manager and finally at that time the parts manager lady relented and said if I would buy $300 "right now!" she would not charge me restocking. In my mind I have separated the bikes from the dealerships. And I have decided that most all Harley dealers who are millionaires to begin with are the most money grubbing, arrogant people I've ever had to deal with. And no one will ever make me think different.
Gary

Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

I'm one that can't complain. Ozark Harley Davidson here in Lebanon is family owned, and they all work there. The owners know most all of us by name, as well as about our families. Their service is good, and they have an excellent line of accessories and motor clothes.
Could I find a bike or Harley parts cheaper? Maybe--but since they treat me like a part of their family, I'll continue to patronize their shop.
Kudos, Jack and Debi!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,431 Likes on 4,355 Posts

I'm inspired by businesses that strive to always do the right thing for customers. One of em here is the HD dealership. The other new bike dealers are sucking fumes in attitude and true service. It could be the other way around but fortunately that's the way it is here. The HD dealer bought one of the other brand shops and will build a new place for those lines about a mile from his HD shop, he'll do well!

I know business very well... and I really wouldn't mind beingthe owner/on-site manager of a diverse dealership except for one thing... the staffing challenges. In most businesses you can finallyarrive atthe right people to provide best service and make a buck, but what a struggle to build the right staff these days!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As most everyone said, you have a choice where and whom you're going to spend your dollars with. I'm pretty blessed with a good dealership in my back yard. They all know me, say hi, we chat about stuff (not Harley-related) and we always do business that makes both of us smile.

Harley has seen a real explosion of popularity (and I suspect it will get "worse" when "Wild Hogs" comes out. With that kind of explosion of growth, you get as much bad as you do good. People who don't know what business is about, young, inexperienced mechanics, blah, blah, blah. You've been there, done that. As far as talking about prices, I remember a time when Honda Accords were so popular, demand was outrunning supply. You were paying sticker price plus some. Supply eventually caught up and things evened out.

I'm a believer in "what goes round, comes round."Hey, if your shop ain't doing you right, geez, hop on your ride and go visit other shops. Just another excuse to ride in my opinion. Visit other shops anyway--you may find out yours is better than you think.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

We have been treated well in most dealerships that we have stopped in. Some have gone out of there way to greet us, ask us questions about our trip. Tarveling most dealers have taken us right in if we needed a repair.

With the inernet we all know the price of what we are looking for before we go to a dealer. When they try andexplain why they are more wejust walk out. We can't make people do theright thing we can only speak with money that is our only tool.Of course we have a few dealers in CT that are not worth going into. I won't mention thembyname.

However, My wife asked one where the ladies room was she was told she would have to go across the street theirs did not work. When she told me I asked if she could use the employee rest roomwe were toldNO. I left $380. worth of parts on the counter and walked out. Told them we were going across the steet and would return, we did not!

We bought 2 bikes at the dealer very close to our house.We were looking at new bikes when the owner came upto talk to us. Explaining all the upgraded features from the one we had. Askingabout a trade in on our presentbike. We don't want your bike you ride it to much! I know it is in great shape but we only sell low mieage bikes mostly to new riders.

For what work I don't do the bike goes to an independentrepair shop. I trust him he, knows me how we ride and what we want.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe, it's funny you mention this. I went by there last summer to check them out and saw exactly what you're talking about. It was raining and they had about 12 bikes just sitting there in the rain. I couldn't beleive it. And you know they don't dry them off when they come inside. I'm sure they just put them in the back and let them rust. Scary. The inside has clothes that look like they've been sitting there for 15 years. I think these are the dealers that HD is trying to get rid of. They're pushing the bright, clean, big sf showrooms. I'm amazed when I hear people say this is a bad thing. Like I'd want to buy a new Lexus from some dingy sh!thole.

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

I think it's definately a case-by-case basis for bashin. My local dealership is "Monty's HD" in West Bridgewater MA, and I must say they HAVE to be the crappiest dealership in the country. It's a hole in the wall from the 50's where the "showroom" is all clothes now, and now that there is inventory out the wazoo they line up the bikes for sale outside every day, I drive by in purin rain and see em sittin out there rustin up quick. Ya that would make me want to buy there. I'm an adjuster and have to go negotiate pairs there from time to time, out back I see things like some guy's $35k screamin-eagle whatever waitin for service, outside in the rain, bird crap all over it. I used to go down to that dealer in the 70's and look at new Low-Riders, the people there actually knew somethin about the bike and the lifestyle. Now? Forget it, the counter help SUCKS, all stuck-up know it alls who treat us like we are all first year riders. I actually had a counter b*tch one day get frustrated tryin to find somethin out of the catalog say to me,"I don't know why you guy's waste your money on chrome crap anyway". Needless to say that was the LAST Time I will ever buy a bike from them. They are 5 miles from my house but I went 40 miles into Boston to buy my Glide in 05. Boston treated me like GOD when I bought. MSRP was all I asked of them....Joe Mac

Quick Reply: enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already