Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 AM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already

Well said.........

that is what makes this Country Great - Free Enterprise.

EVERY Manufacturer of mechanidise does it. From Building Materials to Automobiles. They will sell it for what ever we will pay.

BTW, what are we paying for gas-fuel...........

but then, you can't please everyone and you know what......you never will.

But some Dealers DESERVE BASHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Backing out on deals, can not fix problems and poor customer service...BASH AWAY!!!!!!

My Company purchased two 2006 SE Ultras. One at 4k over MSRP and one at MSRP. Two differant dealers. No I did not bash the dealer who charge 4k o/. I had a deposit with them on our 2nd bike.....

lsc86.........you should invest your $$$$$$$$$ and open up a HD Co. Your shootin straight up......... I believe you have what it takes!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it aint the price, it the attitude that keeps me away....i'm quite sure if i really wanted, i could own a dealership..then all yall could bash me...but when i go in, i want to be treated well...not just a hello from a ditzy, dont know $hit girl, but from the guys...lets talk family, bikes, ideas....its the experience, not the money.....only Longhorn here in my area is tops for that....some are better'n others, thats where i shop...i know they gotta make a profit to stay in biz...and i'll pay, just be nice...make me feel like i matter, not like a dealership is doin me a favor....cause believe me, i know how to get parts...even if they have to be made....b

Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am the exception. I can rant all I want about the **** poor service that most dealerships provide because I work in a dealership. I am a Cadillac service technician at a new car dealership. I have been working in GM dealerships for 20 years. The fact is this....I have about as much training and certification as a person can get. I have 26 years experience working on automobiles. I am the person that you want working on your new $80,000 Cadillac. Many dealerships, ours included cannot afford to employ 6 or 8 of "Me" to staff their service department. They inevitably hire some young, inexperienced kids to train, into something better. These kids are NOT the ones you want working on your new Cadillac, or your new Harley! Dealerships are the same in that aspect. They have to train young people on someone's bike. Do you want it to be yours? Yes, I agree that there are financial factors that put the dealer behind the 8 ball and they have to get these people in a position that they can work on new models, but you have to draw the line somewhere. in our shop, we have 1 trainee. If he is doing anything that requires any thought, one of the senior techs, myself or one of the others, must pretty much inspect each and every step in the repair. When he is done, one of us has to sign off on it, and it is our **** if there is a problem. Our parts guy is nearly 60 years old, and has been with the dealership almost 30 years. Now thats knowledge that no amount of money can buy.

Just so you know....not all dealers suck, but I will call a spade a spade when one shows up. I know how a good dealer is supposed to do business.

nogood o~`o

Old 02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing but the very best to say about the dealer where I bought my '06 Ultra. I got it at MSRP from a very knowledgeable salesperson. It is by far the best dealership I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Is ever dealership like the? Certainly not. But you can believe that when I filled out the questionairre which the MOCO sends out after you purchase a new bike, I gave them a very glowing report. They have gone out of their way to accomodate me, make me feel like one of the family and given good, reliable service. Does it cost money?? You bet but I want them to make a profit so they'll be there when I go back. No complaints on my dealership. I just wish it was located where I live and not 200 miles away. The one in my hometown absolutely stinks.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's definately a case-by-case basis for bashin. My local dealership is "Monty's HD" in West Bridgewater MA, and I must say they HAVE to be the crappiest dealership in the country. It's a hole in the wall from the 50's where the "showroom" is all clothes now, and now that there is inventory out the wazoo they line up the bikes for sale outside every day, I drive by in purin rain and see em sittin out there rustin up quick. Ya that would make me want to buy there. I'm an adjuster and have to go negotiate pairs there from time to time, out back I see things like some guy's $35k screamin-eagle whatever waitin for service, outside in the rain, bird crap all over it. I used to go down to that dealer in the 70's and look at new Low-Riders, the people there actually knew somethin about the bike and the lifestyle. Now? Forget it, the counter help SUCKS, all stuck-up know it alls who treat us like we are all first year riders. I actually had a counter b*tch one day get frustrated tryin to find somethin out of the catalog say to me,"I don't know why you guy's waste your money on chrome crap anyway". Needless to say that was the LAST Time I will ever buy a bike from them. They are 5 miles from my house but I went 40 miles into Boston to buy my Glide in 05. Boston treated me like GOD when I bought. MSRP was all I asked of them....Joe Mac

Old 02-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no complaints at all about my Local Dealer. They are a smaller family owned shop. These newer larger corprate type shops can offer all kinds of cheap sale items in the store that the smaller shops can not.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 AM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like all of you, I've read the "Stealer" posts. And, several times on this forum, I've touted my dealer, Eagle HD in Lafayette, IN. It, too, is a family run business that has gone far beyond the norm to satisfy me as a customer. Sales, parts and service all staffed with great people that really seem to have an intrest in you and your bike. As I travel around the country (it's part of my job) I stop in the local dealership to look around. I was amazed at the differances in dealership attitudes toward me. Just like you didn't marry the first person you dated, shop around until you find the right one.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone stated.....

I dumped 20K at that one dealer so they should be happy as heck...

Many people think the dealer pays a $1.00 for the bike and the rest is profit. The investment a dealer makes in his land, building, and inventory is huge.Not taking up a tag day for my dealer, but I want him to be profitable so he'll be there to service me in the future.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you've been riding long enought you havea horror story and a dealer you don't like. That's just the way it is.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I won the lottery tomorrow, the LAST thing I would consider is buying a HD dealership. I do ride (it was 20 degrees this morning when I left for work), and love my bike, and biking in general. BUT, we have got to be the biggest pain in the a$$ customers on the planet! We pay major $$ for a large bling bling, and expect red carpet treatment from that point forward.

We talk and complain about prices and discounts. Some dealers offer 20% off, and most of us know who they are. They CAN’T sell at a loss. I don’t know this to be a fact, but I would guess that the markup from dealer cost to MSRP on accessories to be about 30%. Most dealers will give a 10% discount. Now let’s look at their expenses…
Payments on building
Property taxes
Inventory taxes
Income taxes
Insurance
Employees wages
Employees benefits (payments to social insecurity, health insurance, ??)
Training
Utilities
Maintenance
Equipment
Tools
Shop supplies
Cost of goods sold
Advertising
Promotions
HOG chapters
Charities (supporting poker runs, girl scouts, youth sports…..)

I honestly don’t see how they make it. I heard from a reliable source that my dealer has a $33,000 per month mortgage. That was forced on him by Moco because dealerships now have to meet a certain floor space requirement to push the merchandise (there are SOME exceptions to this rule).

If your dealer treats you with respect, and as a friend, support them, and don’t bash them. If they provide you with good, competent service, support them. If they have knowledgeable sales staff (bikes and parts), support them. If they meet REASONABLE (not always YOUR) expectations, support them. If they don’t, take your business somewhere else. Yes, we DO need to be warned about some of these places (it sounds like Monty’s HD is a nightmare based on jmacdonald5’s description of leaving bikes outside as well as rude and disrespectful sales staff).

Now it’s time for me to eat a little crow, because I have been guilty of not always following this. I will do better in the future of supporting MY dealer, because he is a good guy, and treats me well. Look for a post in the near future praising his business.

Quick Reply: enough of bashin' dealers and 'stealers' already