Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 flhtci repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 flhtci repair estimate

Well as some know I went down a couple weeks ago.
Me and bike laid down on rightside in a ditch with about 18 inches of wind crusted snow.
I slid about 10 feet on snow, bike went maybe 10 feet farther on right side came up right
came down on left.
fairing, running light bar, tank, windshield engine crash bar, trunk, both saddle bags
Now dealer swears there is frame damage. WTF! what kind of cheap steel is harley
using now days. I didn't even get a bruise.
Estimate is $10,890
Just how much does Harley charge for these parts? everything is cheap abs type plastic!
Two months ago they told me because bike was NOT running right they would pickup for free and bring back to shop if I scheduled in advance (and I did) now they are charging me for the p/u.

Well I will have the estimate in a couple days.
I think I may be putting another one back together in my front room and save all the labor.
Wonder how that will affect warranty?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 flhtci repair estimate

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes...does that estimate include a newframe too? Frame damage will greatly reduce the value, or at least it does on a car. Must have taken a big hit to do that kind of damage.

Ride safe,

Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to say that your bike didn't take a good tumble. There only has to be one small bend/twist in the frame before the dealer says the frame is bent.This isn't something a body shop can bend back and say "better"Not like a car where one can put there car on a frame machine and tell if the frame is twisted or not within specs. I would rather a dealer say the frame is damaged/totaled than get the bike back and weeks later have another accident due to a bent frame. You made it through this one unharmed, that is the good thing. Your bike can be replaced. You on the other hand more than likely NOT.... Most insurance quoters will say if it has a scratch on it, it gets replaced. One small scratch might be $300. You're very lucky, if you would have taken a worse fall your HOSPITAL bill would have been at LEAST 3 times your bike estimate I would assume. I know, its not my bike that is damaged. But that is why there is insurance. I hope you are treated fairly by the dealer and the insurance company.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 PM
stoker62
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you're ok but I still don't understand why people ride when there is ice or snow out I'm talkin not on the road but just close to it enough to melt onto and freeze and what about the cinders or salt go south and ride if ya wanna ride that bad tryin to get that one day of ridin cuz it warmed up or it's sunny just isn't worth it to me just my 2 cents

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes there is snow around, but not on the roads. When I ride the mountains in July/August, there is still snow in places.

Choochoo was run off the road, and into a ditch that had snow... or something pretty close to that.

This was taken in late August...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 AM
stoker62
Advanced

yes don't remind me when going thru Yellowstone in Aug and it was freezing sleet and slick
and like you said it was aug who thinks of snow then?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't feel it was a hard hit, considering i didn't even get a bruise or sore spot and I'm in my late 50's.
laid down on right side..... crack in right bag.
Bike slid on snow (18 inches deep) about 20 feet.
the peg or something caught, momentum caused bike to stand up, frontwheel turned left
handle bar put small dent in tank when bike fell over on left side.
left driving light hit a rock under snow and bent the little flange lite is on, did NOT hurt light,
but this jar caused the light to crack fairing in that spot.
windshield is scratched but reusable ( popped out of the fairing.. dealer had fairing open previous week for radio work.. may not of gotten it tight).
when went down on right the engine bar bent back a little, just enough to be noticeable.

When bike came down on left side the left bag split.
Why trunk disintegrated don't know.
But ALL plastic is now a abs type plastic, very thin and very brittle.
Yes the estimate includes frame.
I think estimate includes all labor as well.
But let's do a little simple adding (approximate time)
r& r crash bar 15 minutes
fuel tank 15 minutes
saddle bags 15 minutes for both
trunk 30 minutes
fairing 120 minutes (or about)
thats' 3 hours 15 minutes ok let's splurge say 5 hours to replace the plastic
what is average dealer shop time Thunder mountain is $77.00
77 x 5 = $385. 00
Last time I checked a frame same place was right at $2000. in 2004
saddle bags were $550 each $1100
fairing 500 500
trunk700 700
wind shield 170 170
light bar ?? 200 200
engine guard???229 229
-------

Old 02-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 28 Posts

dude- if you have insurance, who really cares how much the dealer is charging? as long as it covered- let them fix it.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: choochoo

I don't feel it was a hard hit, considering i didn't even get a bruise or sore spot and I'm in my late 50's.
laid down on right side..... crack in right bag.
Bike slid on snow (18 inches deep) about 20 feet.
the peg or something caught, momentum caused bike to stand up, frontwheel turned left
handle bar put small dent in tank when bike fell over on left side.
Let me get this straight, the bike layed down on its right side, then hit hard enough, to toss 875 pounds back upright, and then on over to the left side.
And you don't think it was a hard hit???????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Unless you owned the bike clear (i.e. no financing), the insurance company is not going to hand you a check for the amount of the loss. The insurance company will, in order to protect the lender's interest in seeing the bike repaired properly, have the dealer do the work.

If you don't owe on the bike, you can save 20% simply by purchasing the parts from Zanotti's, Chicago HD, Benji's, or other discounting HD dealers.

Quick Reply: 06 flhtci repair estimate