Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 flhtci repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts
Default RE: 06 flhtci repair estimate

I just went thru this last Nov on my Jeep Wrangler. It's an 04 with 19,000 miles on it. I slid on some black Ice and bounced off a bridge 3 times. It bent the frame and all the front sheetmetal back to the cowl. The estimated the repairs at $11,000. The replacement value was around $19,000, my insurance requires them to replace with the same Jeep or the cash equivilant. Since the Jeep was in perfect condition (I mean like new not a scratch) they elected to buy a frame from Jeep and fix it. Well when all was said and done, the total cost to repair this Jeep was $16,960.00. The insurance company paid them and I just paid my $500 deductible. So if your insurance will fix I say let them, or if you have the option get a new one get the one that you are happy with.

Oh by the way, I was ruled not at fault by the police and I had 3 witness's but the insurance found me at fault so they jacked my insurance almost double what it was. When the last payment was made on the repairs I switched companies and got my insurance back to what it was.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well first I quoted that the parts were approximate price and were from about 2004.
I went back and got one of my qoute lists.
Now this shop is NOT a Harley shop, but he had a special deal arranged with a Harley shop back East to obtain and sell genuine Harley parts.
Now I do NOT know what this dealer charged him for the parts, but he sold them to me at a profit markup he was happy with. (wish I had a scanner)
Based on his prices do your own figuring why we call dealers STEALERS. They Have an outrageous markup on prices because motorcycles are considered as RECREATIONAL vehicles.
Now these are parts for a 2001 flhrpi (Police road king) and his prices.
When I picked up the parts they were still in a sealed factory box and I know who his dealer was, because one box still had the ups shipping label on it.
90895-95AV saddle bag assembly right hand $500.00
53208-90DH tour pak $500.00
(last one I ought from him was 98 roadglide limited edition
95th anniversary was about $650.00)
67912-96 headlight nacelle $80.00
49184-97 engine guard $145.00

The below is from Maverick Motorcycles they are an authorized HD dealer same parts
Same estimate
90896-95AV saddlebag assembly $595.00

Also back when I had the 98 fltri (roadglide) kept burning out stators. This was in 2000.
dealer price for stator was $137.95
The man above with other shop would sell them to me freight included from back east
to him and ups to me for $107.00 So figure what the dealer markup is from factory!
ORIGINAL: fairplay

Ted, any insurance co. I dealt with operated that way. Fine print on allstate policy is to use crash parts or aftermarket parts. Big pita.
and as for that quick estimate, be realistic those look like ebay prices. $500 pr. saddlebag? try 1100 each dealer price. I am not bieng harsh I am bieng realistic. Yes the dealer will hose you either way.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
choochoo
Banned

by the way when I get time to sit down and do it, I am going to find all the excess parts I have here at house and post them for sale at the other forum.
Got new and used.
used 01 tc 88 cylinders and pistons and rings with about 1500 miles on them
new saddle bags (police style)
new trunk, new road king trim
used road king nacelles
some wheel bearings new 01 flhtci
some more stuff will have to gather it up.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 29 Posts

a friend of mine went down. after many, many parts having been replaced- the figured out that the frame was bent. the ins co already invested thousands into the repair- only to learn that the frame was bent. so- the shop cut the vin portion off of the neck, sent it to HD and within a couple weeks- he received a new frame (with original VIN number)

we were told that if the crash bars are tweaked- you can be just about certain that the frame if bent.

and- if the ins co is pushing to total it, do it. i personally wouldnt want my bike back (even if it were repaired) after a crash that bad

Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 PM
choochoo
Banned

Yes some of it is physics.
But look under your running boards.
The supoorts are rounded for strength and to help bike roll back up off you
so you don't get trapped under it.
In a slower laydown on pavement (seen it many times up at sturgis etc)
the bike has tended to lift back upright. Maybe not completely but does lift backup.
And in short of a complete lay down rider still on and moving, the bike will try to right itself.
But go too slow or too far over the weight will bring it down to the boards.
My case the pegs, wheels etc caught and the moment stood it up and it fell on left side did not move any. Total slide stand up fall over on left side on the snow was about 20 feet, maybe a little less. Snow was hard pack wind crusted. could almost drive on it.
But either way should not be any frame damage. seen bikes hit harder on pavement and not have any frame tweaking let alone outright bending.
ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: choochoo

The big baggers are designed to try to roll back upright so you are not pinned under neath.
Plus with the momentum It doesn't really take that much to bring it back up again.
ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: choochoo

I don't feel it was a hard hit, considering i didn't even get a bruise or sore spot and I'm in my late 50's.
laid down on right side..... crack in right bag.
Bike slid on snow (18 inches deep) about 20 feet.
the peg or something caught, momentum caused bike to stand up, frontwheel turned left
handle bar put small dent in tank when bike fell over on left side.
Let me get this straight, the bike layed down on its right side, then hit hard enough, to toss 875 pounds back upright, and then on over to the left side.
And you don't think it was a hard hit???????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K!
ORIGINAL: choochoo originaly said when asking about his class action suit possibilities

When I hit 65mph (past problems occured at 70-75mph and above) bike refused to accelerate and started slowing down.
Now because the car behind me had decided to speed up and I was slowing down AGAINST my will space between us diminshed rapidly.
He attempted to avoid me by passing, but oncoming traffic was to close he had to swerve back into my lane immediately on my side.
So as not to be side swipedI took the ditch. Plenty of snow in the ditech to cushion my fall.
Actually the snow was reletively smooth and wind crusted.
I laid bike down on right side (best way for direction of travel). When I touched ground I let go of bike and let it slide away from me. I slid about 25 feet on the snow (better than asphalt). Bike went about ten or fifteen more feet. Pegs & running boards and wheels dug in causing bike to stand up and then fall over on left side and stopped.
"Pegs & running boards and wheels dug in causing bike to stand up and then fall over on left side and stopped."

Nope...thatsnot a designed feature to stand upright when hitting the ground at 65mph and digging in...... its actually called PHYSICS..............probably bends things too.(like frames)

Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are OK. I think your dealer is treating you right. Insurance will cover the cost of the P/U, that's why he is charging it. I did the same thing (almost) to my 05 Ultra. Screwed up in a curve, went in too hot, and had a passanger with me. I couldn't get it slowed down enough, and couldn't lean into it like I would have done by myself. It went down on one side, fliped to the other side, and back to the first side. Frame wasn't bent, but they had to replace everything except one side cover. Total bill... $13K.

Oh yeah, this is a GREAT time to upgrade. If they have to replace the forks, go chrome. Almost the same price. It's a good time for lowering springs in there too. Inner fairing messed up? Get the painted one.. not the stock flat black. I think it/s $20 more. Check out a complete custom limited edition paint set (Ultra Classic set). They are $5,000, and it has ALL the pieces. Look at the estimate, and add up the standard cost and compare. You could end up a VERY happy man!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ate about 20 yard of gravel road last summer and the bill came to a bit over 6 grand on my Ultra.

front fender and all its attachments
front fairing
passing lamp bar
headlight
passing lamps (did you know the housing is plastic?)
fuel tank
hard lowers (both sides)
engine guard
windshield
both rear saddlebags
both rear saddlebag guards
both rider floor boards and mounts
chrome outer primary

On the frame the small center piece the enging guard bolts to at top center was bowed but the frame otherwise was OK so it was not replaced.

Was doing about 30 and had a tank slapper. It went down on the left and I rolled off. The bike slid on the left side caught the edge of the road and came up and over onto the right side.

Once I got the engine guard off I test rode it and it handled fine and ran good. So I continued the trip and rode it another 6000 miles before I got it back to my local dealer.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you fix it yourself you can pocket the labor money, the ins company may cut the labor rate since you are not a quailified H~D mechanic. You can buy your parts from a discount dealer and pocket 20% or more. Some parts you could buy on e-bay and have painted to match.You can get a new frame from H~D as mentioned earlier. It is your bike you can make money and spend your time or have a shop repair it. Your choice.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
choochoo
Banned

Yeah I had that too a few years back. Highway patrol signed off I was not at fault.
But insurance company jacked my price up anyway. My insurance for year is due in about a
week, with the old price still on it.
Will renew it and if they jack it up later will find another company and see what happens.
ORIGINAL: MCSarge

I just went thru this last Nov on my Jeep Wrangler. It's an 04 with 19,000 miles on it. I slid on some black Ice and bounced off a bridge 3 times. It bent the frame and all the front sheetmetal back to the cowl. The estimated the repairs at $11,000. The replacement value was around $19,000, my insurance requires them to replace with the same Jeep or the cash equivilant. Since the Jeep was in perfect condition (I mean like new not a scratch) they elected to buy a frame from Jeep and fix it. Well when all was said and done, the total cost to repair this Jeep was $16,960.00. The insurance company paid them and I just paid my $500 deductible. So if your insurance will fix I say let them, or if you have the option get a new one get the one that you are happy with.

Oh by the way, I was ruled not at fault by the police and I had 3 witness's but the insurance found me at fault so they jacked my insurance almost double what it was. When the last payment was made on the repairs I switched companies and got my insurance back to what it was.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
choochoo
Banned

see you apparently hit harder than I did and frame wasn't bent. That's why I can't believe they are saying it is here.
but anyway.
I would like to do all the labor myself and the upgrades, but bike has full coverage and still under warranty.
so am waiting to see what happens their.
If I would be allowed to re-install all the plastic and stuff on my dime and let the dealer just do the engine and tranny for alignment purposes I might go that way.
Then take it back for the final crap of why it cut out in the first place.
will talk with insurance next week.
ORIGINAL: ultraultra

Glad to hear you are OK. I think your dealer is treating you right. Insurance will cover the cost of the P/U, that's why he is charging it. I did the same thing (almost) to my 05 Ultra. Screwed up in a curve, went in too hot, and had a passanger with me. I couldn't get it slowed down enough, and couldn't lean into it like I would have done by myself. It went down on one side, fliped to the other side, and back to the first side. Frame wasn't bent, but they had to replace everything except one side cover. Total bill... $13K.

Oh yeah, this is a GREAT time to upgrade. If they have to replace the forks, go chrome. Almost the same price. It's a good time for lowering springs in there too. Inner fairing messed up? Get the painted one.. not the stock flat black. I think it/s $20 more. Check out a complete custom limited edition paint set (Ultra Classic set). They are $5,000, and it has ALL the pieces. Look at the estimate, and add up the standard cost and compare. You could end up a VERY happy man!

Quick Reply: 06 flhtci repair estimate