Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 flhtci repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 06 flhtci repair estimate

Well will find out more Saturday when I look at the bike and see what they claim is frame damage.
I don't believe we landed hard enough to bend anything.
Will talk to insurance on Monday.
They will probably treat me good.
ORIGINAL: Geezer Glide Bob

Not to say that your bike didn't take a good tumble. There only has to be one small bend/twist in the frame before the dealer says the frame is bent.This isn't something a body shop can bend back and say "better"Not like a car where one can put there car on a frame machine and tell if the frame is twisted or not within specs. I would rather a dealer say the frame is damaged/totaled than get the bike back and weeks later have another accident due to a bent frame. You made it through this one unharmed, that is the good thing. Your bike can be replaced. You on the other hand more than likely NOT.... Most insurance quoters will say if it has a scratch on it, it gets replaced. One small scratch might be $300. You're very lucky, if you would have taken a worse fall your HOSPITAL bill would have been at LEAST 3 times your bike estimate I would assume. I know, its not my bike that is damaged. But that is why there is insurance. I hope you are treated fairly by the dealer and the insurance company.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
choochoo
Banned

No cinders or salt around here, unless it gets really bad. Then only in town or on really bad sharp curves.
There was NO ice or snow on road or edge, Snow was about 18 inches away from roadway and below level of road surface.
I basiclly ride year round and have even had to go home on questionable roads. Roads that were great when I left wherever I was, and then about a mile or two from house run across patchy conditions.
ORIGINAL: stoker62

I'm glad you're ok but I still don't understand why people ride when there is ice or snow out I'm talkin not on the road but just close to it enough to melt onto and freeze and what about the cinders or salt go south and ride if ya wanna ride that bad tryin to get that one day of ridin cuz it warmed up or it's sunny just isn't worth it to me just my 2 cents

Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 PM
choochoo
Banned

The big baggers are designed to try to roll back upright so you are not pinned under neath.
Plus with the momentum It doesn't really take that much to bring it back up again.
ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: choochoo

I don't feel it was a hard hit, considering i didn't even get a bruise or sore spot and I'm in my late 50's.
laid down on right side..... crack in right bag.
Bike slid on snow (18 inches deep) about 20 feet.
the peg or something caught, momentum caused bike to stand up, frontwheel turned left
handle bar put small dent in tank when bike fell over on left side.
Let me get this straight, the bike layed down on its right side, then hit hard enough, to toss 875 pounds back upright, and then on over to the left side.
And you don't think it was a hard hit???????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:52 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choochoo , if I was in your position I would HOPE there was frame damage ! Go over it really carefully , because if there is ,your bike will be totaled , and the insurance company will sell it as a salvage . Depending on your insurance you should get a new bike out of the deal , I would talk to the dealer and see if it can be done.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance is the world's biggest scam ... and adjusters will try to get you to take the bike to the repair shop, then they will try to negotiate with the shop to work them down on the bill. Maybe cut a corner here ... install cheaper parts there ... etc, etc.

Keep in mind that IT'S YOUR BIKE. If you have a loan on it, then the insurance company will have to repair it to protect the value of the bank's collateral. If they are paying for it then make the repair shop put only the best parts on it. And inspect it yourself to make sure you get what they're paying for.

If you don't have a loan on it, then the insurance company has no right to tell you what to do with it. All they have the right to do is hand you a check. Then what you do with the bike after getting the check is up to you.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ndotken

Insurance is the world's biggest scam ... and adjusters will try to get you to take the bike to the repair shop, then they will try to negotiate with the shop to work them down on the bill. Maybe cut a corner here ... install cheaper parts there ... etc, etc.
Not sure what insurance companies do that, but, none we deal with has ever tried to go with cheaper parts. Our biggest pain in the **** is actually writing the estimate - how many hours do you think it takes to look over the bike and not miss anything (if you do, the insurance company MAY grant you a supplement), look up all the ity bity part numbers of every ity bity piece of after market chrome that's scratched a little bit, calculate the hours it'll take to replace all the stuff in the right sequence (some stuff may come in sooner than others but, we may have to wait on a part that's buried deep and must be replaced before anything else - like, a FRAME), and, the tech who gets the honor of working on the crash bike will probably loose his shirt due to the unrealsitic time constraints the insurance company puts on him or her. All insurance companies grant ONE FREEKIN hour to do the estimate - it can take a day or more - that's a legitimate complaint. There are always 2 sides to any repair and customers sometimes forget the shop's side - and, if one estimate is too high or you disagree on the frame bent diagnosis - take it somewhere else. Most shops absolutely HATE crash bikes due to the reasons mentioned. Oh yes, it's not unusual to get 3-4 per week once riding season starts - and everyone wants 'em fixed yesterday . LOL

Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM
fairplay
Road Master

Ted, any insurance co. I dealt with operated that way. Fine print on allstate policy is to use crash parts or aftermarket parts. Big pita.
and as for that quick estimate, be realistic those look like ebay prices. $500 pr. saddlebag? try 1100 each dealer price. I am not bieng harsh I am bieng realistic. Yes the dealer will hose you either way.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
choochoo
Banned

first I have NOT read all responses before I posted the below.[/align]It is an exact word for word copy of Email I received last night from service[/align]manager.[/align]Maybe I'm wrong, But if there IS a 1-2 inch difference in the strut area from side to side, the entire frame would have to be tweaked into a twist and that being the case Harley Frames are junk because no way did I hit that hard: or[/align]there would be a definite visible bend in the metal at the suspected sight of damage.[/align]In which case a photograph would show that bend if taken from a proper perspective using a reference item such as a straight edge. and maybe a pointer pointing to the spot in question.[/align]So tomorrow I will be there with my camera and will have a look see.[/align]With all the other crap I've been through with dealers I'm kind of skeptical.[/align](They keep blaming the muffler for power problems, but fix something or install something else, and NEVER actually test the muffler to confirm or deny that the muffler is causing the problem)
[/align]

Steve,
What we are seeing with the frame is about a 1-2 inch difference from side to side on the rear strut area. Pictures wont show that. My shop foreman will get with the collision tech later this morning to reaccess the frame. As you know it is of the utmost importance that the frame be 100% perfect for obvious safety reasons. If shop foreman agrees the frame needs replaced than I would recommend your insurance agent come here to look at your bike. I will let you know the results of the shop foremans acessment as soon as possible

Thank you
mike
[/align]

Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
choochoo
Banned

Normally when repairs exceed 1/2 the value of the bike the insurance totals it. And yes mine has full coverage.
However, the insurance only replaces up to the value of what the bike was worth at time of accident.
So if bike was worth $15,000 but you owed $18000 you're still responsible for the balance.
Also I would want another red one, and A 06, the 07's seem to be having more problems than
what I was. Plus where I live I see no advantage in the 6 speed tranny.
Yes we have flat areas but most of the time I am in mountain area. I'm about 10 miles from the first 2 mile long canyon run, then up on top and it's up and down from there to Laramie (about 30 miles), after laramie about 20 mile run across flats then back up into canyons again for about the same, then south into Colorado and run the various ranges and canyons and mountains there.
I would spend more time in 5th at lower mileage rate.
So at $11,000 it would be less expensive for me to have it repaired, have the base problem fixed and move on.
ORIGINAL: hd2007

Choochoo , if I was in your position I would HOPE there was frame damage ! Go over it really carefully , because if there is ,your bike will be totaled , and the insurance company will sell it as a salvage . Depending on your insurance you should get a new bike out of the deal , I would talk to the dealer and see if it can be done.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

The big baggers are designed to try to roll back upright so you are not pinned under neath.
Plus with the momentum It doesn't really take that much to bring it back up again.
ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

I don't feel it was a hard hit, considering i didn't even get a bruise or sore spot and I'm in my late 50's.
laid down on right side..... crack in right bag.
Bike slid on snow (18 inches deep) about 20 feet.
the peg or something caught, momentum caused bike to stand up, frontwheel turned left
handle bar put small dent in tank when bike fell over on left side.
Let me get this straight, the bike layed down on its right side, then hit hard enough, to toss 875 pounds back upright, and then on over to the left side.
And you don't think it was a hard hit???????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K!
ORIGINAL: choochoo originaly said when asking about his class action suit possibilities

When I hit 65mph (past problems occured at 70-75mph and above) bike refused to accelerate and started slowing down.
Now because the car behind me had decided to speed up and I was slowing down AGAINST my will space between us diminshed rapidly.
He attempted to avoid me by passing, but oncoming traffic was to close he had to swerve back into my lane immediately on my side.
So as not to be side swipedI took the ditch. Plenty of snow in the ditech to cushion my fall.
Actually the snow was reletively smooth and wind crusted.
I laid bike down on right side (best way for direction of travel). When I touched ground I let go of bike and let it slide away from me. I slid about 25 feet on the snow (better than asphalt). Bike went about ten or fifteen more feet. Pegs & running boards and wheels dug in causing bike to stand up and then fall over on left side and stopped.
"Pegs & running boards and wheels dug in causing bike to stand up and then fall over on left side and stopped."

Nope...thatsnot a designed feature to stand upright when hitting the ground at 65mph and digging in...... its actually called PHYSICS..............probably bends things too.(like frames)

Quick Reply: 06 flhtci repair estimate