Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide suspension sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
nichiowa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rastas
Being an international 2013 SG you should have the HD Premium shocks fitted from factory. You can set how hard or soft you want your shocks by removing the left saddle bag and turning the dial. I am in Australia and have the premium shocks from factory. I think they work just fine for when I ride solo or with the GF.
If you are talking to me I actually have a US Street Glide that I purchased through a military program. And just to make sure everyone understands, I love the Street Glide suspension.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Back in 09 my stock air shocks sucked. There was no making them work well. Went with progressive 440s which fixed that and a true trac fixed the rest of the problems with the wobble. Oh and screaming eagle heavy fork oil fixed the dive.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
rastas
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nichiowa
If you are talking to me I actually have a US Street Glide that I purchased through a military program. And just to make sure everyone understands, I love the Street Glide suspension.
Yes mate, I was referring to your post. Sorry I thought you had European model.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
nichiowa
Tourer

Originally Posted by rastas
Yes mate, I was referring to your post. Sorry I thought you had European model.
No problem, that's interesting though about the shocks. Thanks for the info, maybe I will talk to some of the Germans at the rallies here and see if they want to sell their shocks just to give them a try.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from a Night Train with Progressive 422's (ok but still stiff) to a 2010 SG. Let's put it this way- I expected a plusher ride. Perhaps that was ignorance on my part having no experience (at the time) with Touring bikes but my SG is... stiffer than I thought it would be. And yes, I have it set at the softest it can go. I am contemplating Progressive 444 11"'ers.

To the OP- if you like it- cool. I'll NEVER trade my SG- I love it that much- but to me, for what I paid, the suspension should be a tad more... forgiving.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Agree that the stock Street Glide shocks are pretty good from the factory, however for an extra $thousand you can replace them with even better upgrades (but then you loose the air adjustability for different loads).
You can do it for $125 for used 13"s, or $500, or $800 or $1000. You don't lose adjustability, you can twist a dial. Didn't you know that??

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

the stock suspension is poor , it's all what you are comparing it to , I thought stock suspension was ok till I rode a bike with upgraded suspension , I don't slow down for rough spots in the road now , or brace when going over railroad tracks and the bike corners and handles so much better , my buddy divorced his wife that was 210 lbs. and told me he was dating a skinny one now , she was 165 lbs , I didn't say a word , my wife is 115lbs , it's all in what you compare it to , so my advise is don't ride a bike with performance suspension and you will be happy with what you have

Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
the stock suspension is poor , it's all what you are comparing it to , I thought stock suspension was ok till I rode a bike with upgraded suspension , I don't slow down for rough spots in the road now , or brace when going over railroad tracks and the bike corners and handles so much better , my buddy divorced his wife that was 210 lbs. and told me he was dating a skinny one now , she was 165 lbs , I didn't say a word , my wife is 115lbs , it's all in what you compare it to , so my advise is don't ride a bike with performance suspension and you will be happy with what you have
So your advice is "don't have a fat wife"?

Got it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM
nichiowa
Tourer

Haha, That's messed up.....funny.....but messed up.

Originally Posted by JY Kelly
So your advice is "don't have a fat wife"?

Got it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 AM
nichiowa
Tourer

I appreciate all the comments and am genuinely curious as to what suspension you are running. I agree that it's not the best that there is, however it is not bad in my opinion. I would imagine that the rides are completely different, but there is nothing yet that makes me want to upgrade unless it was just for the heck of it.

Quick Reply: Street Glide suspension sucks?