Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 remote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
milleda31
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 remote?

I currently have the RF PBR300X4 installed on my SG. I have been considering replacing it with the two channel model PBR300X2 since I only have two speakers. My thought is that it might run a bit cooler.

Anyway, I was shopping for the PBR300X2 and came across this photo. The PBR300X2 with a remote. Has anyone here got the remote and installed it with this amp? Might be nice for adjusting gain without opening the fairing.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...th-Remote.html

Attached Thumbnails Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 remote?-resourcecardc8xp.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

The 'remote' is an option that does not come with the amp but must be purchased separately. It is also not a gain adjusting device, it's an audio equalizer that peaks a very narrow range of either the bass or highs depending on how you have set your amps LP/HP/AP filter. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
milleda31
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like you are correct. No effect on gain level. Thanks for pointing that out.

It is, however, included with the amp for $158 from the link I posted above. Thats a good price for the amp alone.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amp by itself is cheaper on Amazon. I don't have it installed with this amp, but I use the adjustment module on the Fosgate amp in my Focus. I use it to adjust the bass coming from a subwoofer.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member

I have the 2 channel amp myself which I bought on amazon for $140, the remote EQ was going for $19.95 at the time so I guess packaged together that'd be about right for $158. I never understood why folks would buy a 4 channel amp instead of two 2 channel amps? A 2 channel amp will generate less heat and dissipate it much easier than a four channel will, not to mention by running 2 digital amps you'll have separate internal power supplies against one 4 ch. amp. Plus the PBR300X2 is rated at 100 watts per channel and the PBR300X4 is only rated at 75 watts per. For me, if I was running four speakers I'd find room to squeeze in two 2 channel amps than give up 'overhead power' and heat dissipation by trying to fit it into one 4 channel package. I think you're doing the right thing by going with the 2 channel amp for a 2 speaker setup.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
. I never understood why folks would buy a 4 channel amp instead of two 2 channel amps? .

SIMPLE: COST !! ! No one wants to pay DOUBLE for anything,......if they don't have too !

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
SIMPLE: COST !! ! No one wants to pay DOUBLE for anything,......if they don't have too !
Well cost would only be double if both 2 and 4 channel amps were priced identical, but in most cases a 4 channel amp will be about 60% more than a 2 channel, so for an extra 40% more you could have a more efficient system. For me cost and price are subjective, this forum is full of people wanting to upgrade their ill performing aftermarket amps, thus truly spending twice. Good engineering practice dictates that you have an amplifier that can deliver far more power than you need. This is to ensure that during musical peaks or excursions your amp has enough head room to deliver clean audio without going into distortion. Heat too will cause semiconductors to degrade limiting their ability to amplify, or to go into distortion earlier. If people understood the mechanics of how stereos transfer energy through their sound system they would see that it's very similar to how an engine transfers power to the pavement. Careful attention must be paid to efficiently transfer power from one stage to another without over or under driving the next stage, all the while maintaining proper heat dissipation. The 'Cost' to the system, and ultimately the ears, is definitely worth the extra price of an additional amp to ensure a higher powered, cooler running and more efficient sound system, heck most chrome doodads cost more than a 2 channel amp.