Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self diagnostics for 03 Road King issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
dplantz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self diagnostics for 03 Road King issue

This been happening for a while but finally bugging me enuff to post
I ride about 15-20 minutes at highway speed, then this seems to always happen: When I "goose" it to pass someone or run up thru the gears hard the check engine light comes on. Once I shut the bike off it dissapears. I can ride again until it happens again. BUT THE BIKE RUNS JUST FINE NO WORRIES THERE.....
I found a post online on how to check the "WOW" codes using ignition switch. I tried that but it dont seem to work. He is what the text said to do:
Do a WOW test and see what code it stored. Key off.
Hold the mileage reset in. Key on and then release the button.
All indicators should light (even ones not used on your bike) and needle should smoothly peg and return to zero. odometer display will read diag.
Hit the reset button one time to see if you have any diag codes set.
It will read P S SP T with the P flashing. P=ECM, S= TSM/TSSM (flasher/flasher and alarm) , SP=speedometer , T=tac (since mine has user mounted tac T looks like inverted mirror of F)
With the P flashing you can hold the reset for 5 seconds and it will read out error codes for ECM or you can just hit and release it to page to next function and hold it 5 second to read errors.

OK so here is what I get when I do this
D01CLr
then D02, D03,D04 etc all the way to 10
then this number 82833

So obviously doing something wrong.

So, can anybody give me the correct way to shoot these codes for an 03 or suggestions as to what the light is about?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.
2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.
3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting
should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps
(battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag”
should then appear.
4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the
first P flashing.
5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the
one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the
odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer
6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in
for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word
“none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view
additional codes if they exist.
7 - Record the codes.
8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number
of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in
and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release
the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then
recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.
9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.
10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.
On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer
identifier is selected.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Also....If you know of any other harley riders that Have "Power Vision" on their bike, they can plug their power vision handheld into your bike and see your active and history codes.

When we ride I carry my power vision handheld and have done this on other harleys.

For a fee...the dealers can plug in and see.....maybe some indies also....

Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
dplantz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

elynyc:
I did exactly what you posted, yet I get same result as in my initial post.
Here is what I get when I do this
D01CLr then I click the odometer button and each time I do, i get this sequence:
then D02, D03,D04 etc all the way to 10
then I think I get like PPNC
then this number 82833

Again, it is an 03 RK

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

go have a read here

http://www.hdtalking.com/touring_mod...ine_light.html

http://www.hdtalking.com/touring_mod...road_king.html

just bring it to the dealer !!! CLR means clear / no code

Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's an old post..been searching..I have the exact same issue..I tried shorting across pin 1 and 2 on the data plug then turn key on..no flashes..on initial key on I get the light like normal..then it goes out..after about 5 seconds it comes back on for a few seconds and then it goes off..I can let it sit for 2 minutes and it will not come back on or flash...ideas?