Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting Aux Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,434 Likes on 944 Posts

Don't discount the possibility of the bracket the lamps are mounted to being slightly bent. Take a look and see. Mine was, which was why the light was skewed. That bracket bends quite easily, for being as thick as it is.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by katobird

not a good design
Part of the HD "lawnmower technology" design group.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Simply remove the signal assembly from the mount under your spotlight. The nut that you see by looking up in there is what you loosen to adjust. Don't loosen it to much, leave it slightly snug, just loose enough to move. As others have said buy a cheap 9/16 deep well socket and grind a channel in the side of it.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
"HI"
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

How do you remove the signal assembly? I apologize, but I currently do not have a service manual.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I adjusted mine by hand with a little grunt some time after I bought my bike, then again after installing TLP7 LED lights, no problem. Last fall I bought a Reckless XL Fairing for my 'King that for installation it required the passing lamps to be turned out for some extra install room. As a result, one got a little loose and as I checked out the way the lights mount and adjust, I must say it is one pitiful design the MoCo came up with right there. Pitiful! Yeah, I made the socket and snugged it up. There are countless better ways this could have been done, aftermarket should jump all over this.
Shame on the MoCo for this P***Poor Design!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The signal light is removed by removing the allen screws on the top of the signal lights. There are two, facing straight up. The inner one is a pain in the *** but that is the only path to removal that I know of. The bitch of the whole thing is holding the spotlight in its adjusted location and the signal light mounting bracket all in proper alignment. That is why I say to leave the adjustment just tight enough to hold them steady but loose enough to still be able to move while you are adjusting the whole assembly. Once you have everything in alignment carefully snug and hold the assembly in alignment while doing so. It is a poor system of adjustment. I feel that the spots could certainly have been engineered with adjustment screws similair to what headlight systems that were on autos of the pre 80's era. Take care to not pinch the signal wires or even cut them when you are using the socket during accessing the nut. The wires are running thru the center of the post that the spot is mounted and adjusted on.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Seems to me the MOCO is brilliant on the passing lamp set up we have. How many years has it been the same ?30, 35, 40, 50??? So what if could be redesigned or is a hassle to take apart. It looks good withor any hardware visible and you should only need to adjust 1 time. Not too bad a design when you consider a lot of folks on this were likely not even born when they designed it in the first place.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When installing my LED lights, i had it all apart, only to find out that i have to remove the signals once again to properly aim the passing lamps. I'm hesitant to just twist them with brute force and will pick up a socket to modify. Still have a few weeks till riding season is here.
It appears to me that there is only left to right adjustment. Does anybody know how to adjust up/down?. Got the service manual, but just as the new LED light instructions, it doesn't mention up/down, unless i completely missed it....?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
When installing my LED lights, i had it all apart, only to find out that i have to remove the signals once again to properly aim the passing lamps. I'm hesitant to just twist them with brute force and will pick up a socket to modify. Still have a few weeks till riding season is here.
It appears to me that there is only left to right adjustment. Does anybody know how to adjust up/down?. Got the service manual, but just as the new LED light instructions, it doesn't mention up/down, unless i completely missed it....?
UP-DOWN adjustment pivots inside the cup-washer. You need to set the beam height first then twist the LEFT-RIGHT setting. I aligned mine at night against a wall to form a triangle o°o

Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
UP-DOWN adjustment pivots inside the cup-washer.
Thanks.
Now why don't it show that in the damn service manual....

Quick Reply: Adjusting Aux Lamps