Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlights for a RG

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
ponesma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlights for a RG

I see that Harley makes a HID Headlight for a RK and EG models. Does anyone know if someone makes one for a Road Glide, obviously for both headlights. LOL

Thanks guys.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HID Headlights for a RG

I have never seen any, I would also think you would need a better reflector that was not made out of plastic because of the heat the HID.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a setup that I sell for Harleys. I've never had an inquiry from a RG owner though. Do RGs use the same dual filament H4 bulb? If so I can set you up with a dual kit hi/lo beam. The low would be the HID lamp and Hi would be a regular halogen light. This is the best of both worlds, should the ballast go bad or an HID bulb go out, you will not be stranded and would have a traditional halogen lamp to see where you are riding.

Contact me for more details if interested.

Thanks
Joe

Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
roadglide65
Tourer

You know I have never had to change one so I would assume they are H4 but don't know for sure.
I have looked in to the HID when I first got the RG and keep running in to the roadblock of the HID puts out to much heat for the enclosed headlight system of the RG.

The reflector will melt, and no one makes a metal crystal reflector so I gave up on the idea.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
ponesma
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: roadglide65

You know I have never had to change one so I would assume they are H4 but don't know for sure.
I have looked in to the HID when I first got the RG and keep running in to the roadblock of the HID puts out to much heat for the enclosed headlight system of the RG.

The reflector will melt, and no one makes a metal crystal reflector so I gave up on the idea.
Wow, I never even thought about that. Do the HID headlights get hot? Is there a differnet bulb that you guys are going with to get more light?

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I use the High Intensity Bulbs that is 20% Brighter then the Standard Bulbs

Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
SteveO
Road Master

I just replaced my Sylvania for the second time, looks like it continues to fail due to vibration.

This time I went with the PIAA Super White H4 80W/80W in the head light and the Super White 55W H3 in my driving lights. What a difference in the light output. Very, very bright white light. Blows the Silverstar away!

The PIAA is is a direct replacement motorcycle bulb and is designed for the vibration on a bike, has the same amp draw as a stock light and runs cooler, but puts out a lot more light. It's real close to HID lights.

Check it out>>> http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=83384A80-EEF4-4C71-97CE-2FD46EB0899F&search=H4%20bulbs&store=All&a mp;page=1

SteveO

Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the reflector not like the single headlight setups?

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
roadglide65
Tourer

No it one peace that handles two bulbs. And I think the single headlight reflector ismade out of metal along with the headlight housing.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
ponesma
Cruiser

Steve, thanks for the link. I am definetly going to look into it. Does anyone know if the H4 is the correct bulb for a 2004 RG? I can lookin my book tonight when I get home, but just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: HID Headlights for a RG