Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape hanger cable & line question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,644 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default ape hanger cable & line question(s)

I'm figuring I'm probably going to be mounting a set of apes on my 04 RK. Probably mini-apes, but I'm not sure yet. That brings me to my questions.

1. Can I simply go a little too long on the cables on these bikes, in case I decide to go with a higher set of apes in the future? I do not want to be spending the money on multiple sets of cables and brake hoses if I don't need to. I can't see any problem with this, except for having cable sorta bulging around the tripple-tree, but sometimes there are problem I don't anticipate properly.

2. Wire extensions. Does anyone make a simple plug in extension set? Seems like everyone makes a diy splice sort of a kit, but I don't see anything like a simple and complete 12" plug in kit for the handlebar switches.

3. Are there any names to look for in the world of cable and hose kits, as well names to avoid? I see the LA Chopper kits, with a good variety of price range. I also see the Magnum Shielding page with interesting diy cables and hoses. That seems nice.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 AM
ponch3640
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at namz they made a pretty descent wire extension kit. Cables is what seems to cost the most and there are plenty of companies out there to go with

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I went with 12" apes and ordered a +6 clutch cable and +8" brake lines in case i decide to get 14" apes ...

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM
gunsnharleys
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 12.5 minis on my 2011 RKC. I used 6" over for both clutch and brakes. I wanted minimal cable "bow" as I use a windshield and did not want it rubbing. 6" is the minimum for 12.5 minis. Adding 2" should not hurt a thing. I actually think you can go as long as you want, it just depends on how much "bow" you want over the bars. As far as wires... I used 8" over and had just enough. I will have to rewire to go higher. Use 12" extensions and solder them. There is plenty of room in the headlight nacelle to "store" the extra wire even if you return to stock someday.
Before my mod, everything I read said buy apes 2" higher than you think you need because everyone wishes they had gone higher. I bumped myself from 10 to 12.5 and now I wish I had 14s!

BTW...I used Magnum Shielding cables and lines and they are great. The Namz wires are good as well but don't rely on the plugs....solder them.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put 12" monkey bars on my SG and used an LA Choppers clutch cable/brake line kit and the Namz wire extension kit. I did not have any issues with either kit. All ordered from Eastern Performance.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
ponch3640
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeepin79 on the namz wire extensions did you solder or just connect them and heat shrink?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

Eastern Performance was great to deal with....I used a Motion Pro Clutch cable and a Gooderidge ebony brake line kit..all black.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Miami Veith
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you wanting to do internal wiring on your RK? I would recommend it. I am in the process of putting a set of 12" mini apes on an 03 Night Train and although the soldering and running them through the bars is a bit of a pain, it is definitely worth it in the long run. It looks much cleaner and you will thank yourself for doing it. Just my .02...

Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
gunsnharleys
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed...internal wiring looks the best. That is why to solder so you can switch out several times and not worry about pulling apart a connection.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,644 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I'm figuring on internal wiring, as that's what it has now. External cables and brake hose, but electrical wires through the bars. If I've got to splice wires, I"ll solder. Wasn't sure if there was a plug in extension or not. $50 for a few bits of wire is paintfull, but they do color coordinate. The cheapskate in me looks at my generic spools of wire and thinks I should just use them instead.

I think I'll ultimately end up getting whatever bars feel right in my hands. I'm gun shy of mail ordering them, and then finding the angles just don't feel right.

Quick Reply: ape hanger cable & line question(s)