Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Lights for a Street Glide - Style and Visability

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
This is for a Glide? Your sig pic is a Bob?
Who are you referring too?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:26 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
No I did not LED's use very little wattage.
Requires less power: 2.1/4.2 amp vs. stock 4.6/5.0 am

So did you just install the headwinds bulb into the stock headlight? If so, did it affect your daytime visibility from extreme angles? I read that many people were having issues with poor angle visibility when swapping LED bulbs due to the reflector in the lamp not being designed for use with LED bulbs.

I'm looking to upgrade my headlight but am not interested in dropping half a grand. If I read the headwinds site correctly, a bulb for the headlight would cost me about $100.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
There's about a million posts about LED lighting. Generally speaking, there are four options. Option 1 is get the Harley Daymaker reflector style headlight and Daymaker spots. Very pricey, but some claim they're the best, better than option 2: TruckLites Phase 7's. The headlight closely resembles the Daymaker (except the center bar is black, not silver), and the spots are mirrored on the bottom third. I myself use these and like them very much and all three were only $338 IIRC from Amazon. Option 3 is a LED replacement bulb, and option 4 is HID lighting. I have no experience with either, but my research says that the reflector in the headlight doesn't work well with the LED bulb since it disperses light differently than the stock bulb. HID lights requires an additional physical component to be mounted somewhere. This is for a Glide? Your sig pic is a Bob?
The original post is 2 years old...

Old 03-21-2015, 07:33 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Colorido
So did you just install the headwinds bulb into the stock headlight? If so, did it affect your daytime visibility from extreme angles? I read that many people were having issues with poor angle visibility when swapping LED bulbs due to the reflector in the lamp not being designed for use with LED bulbs.

I'm looking to upgrade my headlight but am not interested in dropping half a grand. If I read the headwinds site correctly, a bulb for the headlight would cost me about $100.

Thanks
Yeah it goes right into the stock housing. No cutting of wires plugs right in. It is to me IMO the most brightest and most noticeable light. Does not matter what angle you will see them. I have not gone riding once with them where someone has not commented on how bright they are, not once. Looking at the image above you can see how the pattern of light is consistent across the entire front of the bike. There is no black spots or missing spots where light is not hitting. That is the correct price. Well made in the USA.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyRiderCoach
I don't ride at night.
Problem solved...?

Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 AM
lighthouse44
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight

I see where it may interfere with radio reception. Any issues, I'm liking this option

Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lighthouse44
I see where it may interfere with radio reception. Any issues, I'm liking this option
I myself do not have any interference with this LED . If you did then you could use this.
http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchan...Category_Code=

Old 03-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Yeah it goes right into the stock housing. No cutting of wires plugs right in. It is to me IMO the most brightest and most noticeable light. Does not matter what angle you will see them. I have not gone riding once with them where someone has not commented on how bright they are, not once. Looking at the image above you can see how the pattern of light is consistent across the entire front of the bike. There is no black spots or missing spots where light is not hitting. That is the correct price. Well made in the USA.

Awesome, thanks! This has now moved to the top of my to-do list.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:03 PM
maxx442
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ordered the Headwinds headlight lamp today. J&P has it for $89.95 if you're a Gold Club member. Thanks for the info Griffin.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the TrucLight 7 headlight with the custom dynamic rings up front. Very happy with that setup. And SG CVO led strips in back. Also very happy with those.

Quick Reply: LED Lights for a Street Glide - Style and Visability