Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Beast 5 air horn installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mini Beast 5 air horn installation

I'm having some difficulty getting a Mini Beast 5 air horn that I bought on the forum about 4 months ago. I can't find installation instructions anywhere in the web.

I pretty sure the horn functions properly and the error is my instal. From what I've read it doesn't seem to matter which wire on the bike's stock wiring harness connects to which terminal wire on the horn. When I connect the positive battery terminal the horn does not make any sound other than a low moaning sound.

I've got to be missing something simple, but I'm wondering if there could be some diagnostics I could check on the horn/relay. I've seen the YouTube videos showing how to do the installation, but I'm still having no luck on this. I'm not particulary electronically inclined, but this is kind of stumping me...any advise would be helpful.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead
I'm having some difficulty getting a Mini Beast 5 air horn that I bought on the forum about 4 months ago. I can't find installation instructions anywhere in the web.

I pretty sure the horn functions properly and the error is my instal. From what I've read it doesn't seem to matter which wire on the bike's stock wiring harness connects to which terminal wire on the horn. When I connect the positive battery terminal the horn does not make any sound other than a low moaning sound.

I've got to be missing something simple, but I'm wondering if there could be some diagnostics I could check on the horn/relay. I've seen the YouTube videos showing how to do the installation, but I'm still having no luck on this. I'm not particulary electronically inclined, but this is kind of stumping me...any advise would be helpful.
It will matter what wire is hooked where.
If the Mini Beast is still a air horn based horn swap the wires.
The rotation of DC motors is based on polarity, hook it up one way and it will run clockwise. Swap the wires and it will run counter clockwise. So if it is hooked backwards it will be sucking not blowing.
I also noticed from their website that they say they do not use a relay! This must be a change because I am certain that my Mini beast used a relay.
If you bought this horn second hand it may be a older style that requires a relay.
Try hooking it directly to a battery and see if it works, remembering what I said earlier about polarity.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 AM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think HD will print out instructons on install for ya. My dealership is pretty good about that stuff. I didn't go with the mini beast and got the bad boy horn and install was a nightmare...still had issues with vibration....finally got it fixed. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
It will matter what wire is hooked where.
If the Mini Beast is still a air horn based horn swap the wires.
The rotation of DC motors is based on polarity, hook it up one way and it will run clockwise. Swap the wires and it will run counter clockwise. So if it is hooked backwards it will be sucking not blowing.
I also noticed from their website that they say they do not use a relay! This must be a change because I am certain that my Mini beast used a relay.
If you bought this horn second hand it may be a older style that requires a relay.
Try hooking it directly to a battery and see if it works, remembering what I said earlier about polarity.
You're my hero! That did the trick...holy crap these things are loud!!!!

They really weren't kidding!! I got it hooked up and hit the horn...my wife came running out of the house into the garage (from the basement) yelling what the hell was that?? "A safer bike" I replied. Hahahahaha.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

The coil on the horn relay is to be energized by the voltage supplied by the OEM horn wires each time you press the horn button. It will be up to you to connect the relay coil to those wires.

The purpose of the relay is to handle the roughly 18 amps of current that the typical air horn draws. Your stock horn draws in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 amps, so this is why a relay is needed to handle the excessive current if you move to the air horn platform. If you didn't use a relay, you would eventually ruin the horn button switch contacts and it would have to be replaced. Those contacts are not designed for this kind of current load, even though it is intermittent. The wiring to the OEM horn is also not designed to carry this current load. So, the relay is the answer as it is in many high-current applications.

I mount my relay back in front of the battery. Use a sealed automotive 12V 30 amp relay if one didn't come in the kit. Sounds like one did, so you should be good. This will be a spst relay, designed to make and break continuity for one circuit...in this case battery voltage going directly to the horn terminal. In my installs, I choose to run the positive side of the battery through the relay, and run a line to the frame for the ground lug of the horn. For this current load, I recommend #12 stranded copper insulated wire.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 540 Posts

One of the best mods that I put on!

Twice a loud as the stock p.o.c. And When they can't see me coming, it makes a difference.

Glad you were able to get it hooked up.

Ride Safe,

YB

Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved mine too. For about 6 months until it crapped out. Hope you have better luck, they are sweet when they work.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Gary33031
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Beast Horn Removal

Ok, so I have a Mini Beast horn on my bike. I want to remove it and put an OEM horn on the bike so I can install a set of Ward Cooling Fans. The OEM horn has two connectors. The Mini beast has 3 wires connected to the bike. Where did the 3rd wire come from and where does it go?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 PM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the minibeast 5 the relay is built in. Two wires go to the oe horn leads and 1 wire goes to the battery for the extra current.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootr
I loved mine too. For about 6 months until it crapped out. Hope you have better luck, they are sweet when they work.
same here... one year - after winter storage it died, was told to squirt WD40 before storage. couldn't get a warranty replacement. i fit in a BAD BOY horn now in same case,,, Yes - you should wire relay directly to Battery and then your stock horn wires go to other side of relay.. draw current is to high for the air horn compared to stock horn.,, yes it will work... but if u HONK for maybe 15-30 seconds non stop, i am sure u will blow a fuse...

Quick Reply: Mini Beast 5 air horn installation