Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMP question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
hashadenough
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMP to go with Infinity speakers

I posted this here because it doesn't seem that the audio thread gets much business...

I have a '08 Streetglide with the stock radio. (part number on the radio is H-D P/N 76160-06, if it matters)

I pulled the fairing to see what I had for speakers (I bought the bike used).

The speakers say "Infinity Reference Series 6022i". They are stamped with 60W RMS and 180W Peak.

The fairing also has the felt "audio pad" stuff in it.

So, looks like the previous owner did some upgrading. The speakers sound great in the garage. I would like them to be louder on the highway. I don't know jack about audio, but I'm not afraid to do my own work.

I looked up the speakers and the Crutchfield website says they are 4ohm speakers, but says this... "True Four Ohm Impedance Technology: The speaker's 2.65-ohm impedance combined with the impedance of your speaker wire provides a true 4-ohm load to your connected head unit or amplifier".

I don't know what that means...

Can someone recommend an AMP? I only have the two fairing speakers. I don't need fancy, just want to use the speakers to their full capability and have it louder.

Also, these speakers have tweeters that you can swivel around to point where you want them (a novelty, I'm sure) but on the tweeters is a button you can depress. Next to the button it says that in the "out" position it equals 0dB, and in the "pushed in" position it equals +3dB. Have no idea what that means either. The buttons are in the out, or 0dB position now. If +3dB means louder, why wouldn't you do that?!

The Crutchfield page...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tk5pBKb...ml#details-tab

Any advice and insight always appreciated!!

Last edited by hashadenough; 03-15-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: better title
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

if your only powering 2 speaker the rockford 2 channel amp is the way to go,it is 2 ohm stable so it will be fine with the 2.7 ohm speakers. a 4 ohm amp will run hot and maybe cut out with those speakers.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM
hashadenough
Cruiser

Okay, thanks for the reply. I looked up Rockford 2 channel and there are lots of option. Like this one...

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R125-2 Prime 125-Watt 2-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R125-2 Prime 125-Watt 2-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics

But they still seem to say 4ohm on them. Or that they will work with both, maybe?? I hate to ask this, but do you have a specific recommendation? I just don't wanna buy the wrong thing...

Mechanical stuff - golden. This audio stuff - lost...

Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the model starts with pbr....its 2 channel 2ohm think its rated at around140 watts per channel at 2 ohm.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the pbr will fit under the fairing antop the radio,doesn't suck too much juice from the battery.hardest part of install is pulling the tank to run power and ground to the battery,u can use any 10 gauge amp wiring kit for that but don't need the rca cables that usually come with it.thge pbr sounds best when used with speaker level input,and for some reason rockford recommend running ground to the battery.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
hashadenough
Cruiser

Okay, cool I see those... They do list the output as...

RMS Power at 4 ohms (watts per channel) 100 RMS Power at 2 ohms (watts per channel) 150
...in the specs. Does that mean they work with both 2 ohm and 4 ohm systems automatically? Is there a selector switch or something, or does the amp just "see" or "know" what to send to the speakers?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
hashadenough
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
the pbr will fit under the fairing antop the radio,doesn't suck too much juice from the battery.hardest part of install is pulling the tank to run power and ground to the battery
I don't mind pulling the tank. I know how to do that stuff. I just don't get the audio numbers and ratings and all!

Just looking for what will go best with the Infinity speakers I have.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the amp sees the ohm rating of the speakers, that amp is a little high powerd for those speakers so just keep the gain down a little and,if the 2ohm amp(i have the 4 channel 4 ohm version) has an ap hp switch use the hp it cut some of the very low frequency this will protect your speakers and the low bass gets washed out on the bike anyway,u can usually crank it up higher b4 u get distortion with it set in hp.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockford PBR300X2 will work great on your speakers. Amazon got it on sale:

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch 300 Watt 2-Ch Boosted Rail Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch 300 Watt 2-Ch Boosted Rail Amplifier: Car Electronics

100W x2 with 4 ohm load and 150W x2 in 2 ohm load. The amp will see the load automatically. You just need to adjust the gain on the amp, along with HP (high pass) or AP (all pass). Check out the following link to post #12 by Blockzilla on how to adjust gain on Rockford amp:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-please-2.html

As far as tweeters go, aim them at your face as much as possible, and set them to +3db. Not necessary louder but sounds brighter, especially going down the road @ 60+mph. Adding Hogtunes Tweeter pod is along the general idea.

Good luck in your upgrade. Ride safe.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
hashadenough
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Rockford PBR300X2 will work great on your speakers. Amazon got it on sale:

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch 300 Watt 2-Ch Boosted Rail Amplifier: Car Electronics

100W x2 with 4 ohm load and 150W x2 in 2 ohm load. The amp will see the load automatically. You just need to adjust the gain on the amp, along with HP (high pass) or AP (all pass). Check out the following link to post #12 by Blockzilla on how to adjust gain on Rockford amp:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-please-2.html

As far as tweeters go, aim them at your face as much as possible, and set them to +3db. Not necessary louder but sounds brighter, especially going down the road @ 60+mph. Adding Hogtunes Tweeter pod is along the general idea.

Good luck in your upgrade. Ride safe.
Awesome! Thanks!

Quick Reply: AMP question