Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 to 95, Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 to 95, Is it really worth it?

I have a 2005 RK with Rhine True Duals, Ness a/c and Terminal Vel ECM. Bike has always run great with zippo problems. Added the pipes and all and runs even Better! Great reliability and performance. I do some around town riding but love to hit the highways and 2-laners. I have around 15K miles on the bike. My wifey rides with me maybe30% of the time.

My question is that I know going to a 95 incher I'll get more performance, but is it really worth it? My scoot does all I ask it to do and my wife looks at me like I'm nuts when I talk about it with my riding buds. She knows it'll cost"something" and she would rather put those dollars into our getaway funds. When I think of it rationally, she's right! But who wants to be rational when you can 'crank it' on bike nights!!!

Your thoughts?

Respect to all.....

Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 88 to 95, Is it really worth it?

make more money so she'll be happy with anything you do and she can have the getaway funded heavily

Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Think of it this way....your getaways should include the bike. I found that travelling with luggage on a bagger and a wife on the back needed some attention so I opted for the 26g cam. While I was at it I decided to go all the way and do the 95" build. I'm happy I did. All you need is a manual, this forum and some general know how and you can do the build yourself and save some money.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

If your happy with it now, Save you $$, If your not, save you $$ anyway and buy yourself some UUUUUMMMMPPP, and you will love it. A good built 95" can take you from riding, to riding with a big SMILE
Code:

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's all in what you want....

While I'm not rich, I have enough free money to spend for my toys if I want to drop some change on them every now and then. I was perfectly content with a Stage I 88" for 6 years and 52k miles. I only swapped cams because my tensioners and "bad rear bearing" that never went bad needed some attention. I could have gone to 95" for about 250 bucks more, but didn't because I didn't see the need to tear apart a perfectly good top end with no leaks or oil burning issues. I've got a low mile set of take off heads and an extra set of jugs to go to 95" when the top end needs attention. I likely won't do it before I have to.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
bvette94
Tourer

I have the same mods done to my sgand alocal wrench told me i would be better off changing the cams. more bang for the buck. hesuggested that it would put me around 85 hp and 85/90 torque. I am currently at 72hp and 76 torque.he said just doing the bigbore kit without cams would put me around 80for both hp and tq. i will wait until fall of 07 and do both at the same time.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
maximus
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait and do cams, BB and minor headwork at the same time. If you do it at all. Power really is addictive so be careful going down that slippery slope. Most guys shoot for 100/100 or there abouts for a street rideable and reliable ride. If you do it right you could be thrilled and if you pick the wrong components or builder you could be spending a fortune to get it right. Lots of proven combinations and good builders out there. Do your research well.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

I should also say I rate reliability high on my concern list. Power does me no good out in the middle of nowhere if I'm broken. I don't want to go too radical as I like the rideability I have now, but would like that extra punch (when I feel the need fo' some speed!).

Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

ORIGINAL: raporte

I should also say I rate reliability high on my concern list. Power does me no good out in the middle of nowhere if I'm broken. I don't want to go too radical as I like the rideability I have now, but would like that extra punch (when I feel the need fo' some speed!).
That's what I was looking for and that is why I went with the build that I did.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 95cu in upgrade on my 03 RK Classic when it hit 10,000 miles a couple years ago. Stayed relatively mild with the HD 203 cams, SE Slash Cut Touring Mufflers and of course the SE A/C. But it was still like getting a new brand new ride all over again. Biggest noted improvement for me was not having to add more throttle going up the "big hills" and getting from 65 to 85 a lot quicker (really helps when you want to pass those 18 wheelers). If ya got the cash just hanging out making 1.5% interest in a passbook savings account, you'll get a much better rate of pleasure returned if spent on the scoot.

FWIW, when I hit 38K on the RK last year, insteadof spending the cash for the 103 build and a 6 speed I just convinced myself that I reallyneeded a second ride that had a 110cu in and6 speed straight from the factory... fortunately for me the wife was outta her mind that day too!

Quick Reply: 88 to 95, Is it really worth it?