Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cee Bailey (SSC) windscreen........suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cee Bailey (SSC) windscreen........suggestions?

I'm about to hit the button on either an opaque black or smoke gray Cee Bailey windscreen, however, need some suggestions on height. I'm ~5"10 on an Ultra and do not want any buffeting, what size should prevent this but still look sorta low profile.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Cee Bailey windscreen........suggestions?

If you're talking about the SSC Cee Bailey,I assure you if you get the right height you will eliminate buffetting. I have an opaque black 6" that really doesn't do anything well. In fact my FastAire 6" does a better job of offering protection. My 13" (which is the equivilent of a 10" regular shield) is perfect for me at 6'. I have not found a more effective way to eliminate buffetting, and I've tried them all. It is a fantastic windshield, and even thought the 13" could not be considered low profile, I think it looks very sleek and fitting for my Streetglide. Others have different opinions on the look. The real question is not how tall you are but what proportion your upper body is to your inseam. I believe at 5'10" you're probably going to do great with an 11 or 12" shield, which is really 8" or 9" due to the curve. I know that when I want a different look, and REALLY want to smooth wind pocket to ride in, it's the Cee Bailey SSC all the way! I would not get an opaque in either of the sizes suggested above however, unless you are sure you can see well over the shield, and in the event that you can, you're not going to eliminate buffetting completely with any windshield IMO.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
thebiker46
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the 10" clear screen. I'm 5'11" and it allows me to see above the top which is what I wanted. Didn't like looking through the screen especially when coming to the top of a hill or rise in the road. It's definately cooler in the summer, but the rain does hit the top of your helmet.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am 5'8" and have the CB 12" which is equal to a stock 9". I wear a Bell Mag 8 helmet which has a built in visor. I catch absolutely no wind at highway speeds or anywhere else for that matter. I wouldn't have any other windsheild. I love mine.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot more involved than just your height. The seat and handlebars are equally important considerations. For example, I changed the handlebars on my Street Glide. I put on Chubby's WO575's which come 2" further back to me. This makes me sit more upright - hence taller. I needed a 1" taller windshield than before.

I also use two seats - the stocker and a Mustang touring seat. The Mustang is 1-1/2" taller than my stocker - again a different screen is needed. The end result is that I now have 6 different SSC's for my bike. Some are clear, some are smoked and some are opaque. It all depends on what mood I'm in and the configuration of my bike. You want a shield that you are barely looking over - you don't want to look through it. What you should do is figure out how much taller or shorter you want your present screen (stock is 10") to be and go from there. Add 3" to that height and that is the size SSC to order. Before you order a screen, make sure that your bike is set up the way you want (seat, handlebars, etc..).

I agree with the posters above - the SSC is the smoothest touring windshield out there. Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok guys, you've given me some really valuable info here, my next question is how much visibility is hampered with a 12" Dark Gray? Can you still see alot of the road at night THRU the windshield?

Soos, what color is yours? CB?<----what's that?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
coolnite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dark grey 12" SSC is just right for me at 5-11 w/Mustang Solo seat and Chubby 575's. My bike is Black Pearl and the color of the dark grey tint compliments the bike.

OBTW - Cee Bailey's customer service is excellent. I had a problem with my windshield and they fixed it immediately.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent back the black 12" and ordered the 10" gray. I am 6' and the black one blocked my visibility way to much.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't answer your question directly because I don't have a dark gray WS. But I will say that this is NOT the type of WS that you want to look thru on a consistent basis, it is one that you most definately want to look over. Because of the distinctive curve of the WS there is a bit more distortion when looking thru it. I look over my WS about 2" but that is not to say that I don't look thru it because I do. On the occassion that I do look thru it, I am riding up an incline and when I am reaching the crest it is at that point that the bike is angled up but I am looking thru the WS at the road and this is where the distortion comes into play. It is a momentary occurrance but nonetheless quite noticeable. I personally would not want a WS that was any darker than the light gray that I have. It allows me to be able to see thru it when it is necessary to do so. Hope this helps and isn't confusing to understand. This is also just my observation. Still I would not have any other WS.

CB=CeeBaileys

Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How is the measurement on these WS's taken? From thetop of the WS down to where the screw holes are at the very base of the plexiglass? Or from top down to the top edge of the fairing? I've got a Cee Baily that's fairly low and like it alot, but not sure what height it is...

Quick Reply: Cee Bailey (SSC) windscreen........suggestions?