Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing A RevPerformance EMS tuner with a Powervison

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing A RevPerformance EMS tuner with a Powervison

Since the PV has well and truly 'arrived' and is highly thought of, I'm seriously thinking about replacing my RevPerf EMS tuner with one.

With regards to the map that RevPerf placed in the HD ECM my questions are:

Will the PV pull out the RevPerf map to be replaced with the PV map?

Would I have to send the HD ECM back to RevPerf to do anything? (I hope not).
Anyone done this or knows anyone who has?

As always, any assistance much appreciated.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's in your ECM, the PV will ask you to copy and save the, what it thinks is a "stock tune" when you marry it to the bike. As long as you don't delete it, you'll always have it to revert to or tweak and keep.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Other then trying to squeeze out a few more HP possibly, what are your reasons for wanting to change from the EMS?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,850 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Other then trying to squeeze out a few more HP possibly, what are your reasons for wanting to change from the EMS?
I don't know about V2Evo96, but my EMS has twice as many miles on it as my RG just in shipping from Phoenix to Wisconsin. Even shipped the whole thing back once and let them keep it for two months, still wasn't right when I got it back. I still think there was something wrong with the unit I had, but RevPerf said it was OK and wouldn't replace it. That said, there a lot of EMS users that are delighted with it.
In answer to the original question, I just did this. The PV stores the map that is in the ECM whatever it may be. It's not a map that I am considering using again.
Just to clear about RevPerf, they straightened, welded, plugged, balanced, and did a Timken conversion on my crankshaft and did a great job.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I don't know about V2Evo96, but my EMS has twice as many miles on it as my RG just in shipping from Phoenix to Wisconsin. Even shipped the whole thing back once and let them keep it for two months, still wasn't right when I got it back. I still think there was something wrong with the unit I had, but RevPerf said it was OK and wouldn't replace it. That said, there a lot of EMS users that are delighted with it.
In answer to the original question, I just did this. The PV stores the map that is in the ECM whatever it may be. It's not a map that I am considering using again.
Just to clear about RevPerf, they straightened, welded, plugged, balanced, and did a Timken conversion on my crankshaft and did a great job.
What issues were you having with the unit that caused the ECM to go back and forth??

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,850 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
What issues were you having with the unit that caused the ECM to go back and forth??
The first issue I had was a stumble that occurred in the 1800-2200 rpm range. I sent it two times before that was fixed. When I sent it in for two months, they were suppose to put it on a build that was similar to mine and tune to the build. When I dynoed the bike the afr was as rich as 10:1 and the power wasn't where I thought it should be for a 107. Of course, since there was no way to alter anything it couldn't be tuned. Andrew told me he wasn't going to chase a number, meaning hp number, but the number I was more concerned about was the 10:1 afr. I also never felt that the tuner was working as advertised, that it would adjust to whatever build you had. When I purchased it I told them what my build was so it should have been close and not needed to adjust. Just my experience. Like I said, many customers have been very pleased with this unit.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I believe my AFR is slightly high because my plugs are always slightly black and not a gray or tanish color but there's no fuel odor coming out of my pipes and my MPG is in the low 40's.

Other then that, my bike runs pretty well considering all I did were cams, pipes/mufflers and a high flow filter.

Lets just say that it runs a lot better now then with the V & H Fuel Pak that I had prior.......and that thing made some serious fuel smell out the mufflers.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
Will the PV pull out the RevPerf map to be replaced with the PV map? Would I have to send the HD ECM back to RevPerf to do anything? (I hope not).
My bike had been "tuned" with one of the HD tuners before I bought my PowerVision, which has turned out to be a success story. The PV will just overwrite the values stored in the ECM with new ones. It's quick and painless, provided the "tune" you flash to your ECM is one that works with your bike's configuration. One reason I bought from FuelMoto is because they seem to try hard to provide a "tune" that will work, already pre-loaded with your PV.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the PV on my bike for 13k miles now and am so happy I just bought the auto tune from fm to add to it

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One reason I want to change over is that I want to have some "control" over what I do with the tuner and I would like to see the operating parameters of the motor head temp, TP, etc.

The other reason is that I have already shipped the HD ECM twice now from Australia to RevPerf(once to initiate the first map by Rev Perf) and again a second time for them to turn off the ACR's they inadvertantly turned on and to straighten out an idle warm up problem.

The second reason to remove it is that the engine has a surge @ 2200 rpm on decel-- meaning that if I am working the motor and downshift to allow decel braking the bike surges forward like fuel is being added inadvertantly.
It's disconcerting to be slowing down in a twisty curve and have the motor surge for a second or two.
If I ship it back again to RevPerf at $60 a pop each way I will be up for $360 in shipping total and 6/7 weeks in total W/O a ride.....

If I buy a PV from Jamie at FM I can send in a SEPST unit for $150 off the PV. I guarantee I will never use the SEPST tuner again....

Thanks for the assistance guys-- very happy to open the board this am and see quality responses to my question.

FuelMoto -- if you read this you will have mail from me soon.

Quick Reply: Replacing A RevPerformance EMS tuner with a Powervison