Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Oval sound level

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
hotwire120
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Oval sound level

Hi,

So i have read several posts where people talk about the VH M/O not being loud enough and some swearing by them. I recently installed a set of power duals and M/O, then got the super tuner to remap my 12 limited ( still need to get a real dyno done though). I have to say the differnce in stock vs the M/0 is widly different, the M/O are without a doubt deeper sounding more like a harley should and only a little louder than stock.

( took it in for a 10k and got to hear the pipes when im not on the bike for the first time and from a distance they arent that loud ...but still sound nice and deep which is what i want)

ok ...so now here is the problem and seeing if anyone else has seen this problem. sitting on the bike moving or not, the sound pressure and noise on the bike is loud enough after an hour of riding to make our ears ring.

its almost as if since the heat shield doesnt go all the way around the can itself that some of the sound is being fired directly towards the tire and then up to the riders.
or how is it possible to have more sound surround the bike than what is coming out the back? ( and yes i did check for any exhaust leaks)

Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Don't even know how to answer that one, other than mine sound good to me...
I got my end caps turned up, to flow with the bags, which way are yours?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I remember that when I first installed them the low frequency rumble was so weird that it seemed to go right through me and was somewhat fatiguing.
I did like the fact that they were not too loud but loud enough.
The rumble was just what I was looking for and I could still hear the radio at speed.
The good news is that they get better with time. The weirdness if the first few weeks is gone and I'm very happy with the sound. Give them a chance.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had them on my bike for a while. At a certain RPM they made a sound that seemed to really bother me. They were not too loud just irratating to the point I could'nt stand it.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

My understanding is that they were engineered to sound loud to the rider but to be acceptable to other people so as not to get a noise ticket? I heard this somewhere and I know that they have acoustic engineers who tweak things on trucks (Ford /Gm etc) to make the driver happy with the powerful engine sound. So it would make sense that they have done the same. I have heard them from back and while riding. When you are in riders seat they definately sound louder? As for being irritating I can't say as I haven't ridden with them long.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

I can tell you sound difference between a 96 and a 103 with Power Dual/Monster Oval set up is HUGE. The 103 is WAY louder and WAY deeper.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my good buddy has a pair on his 04 classic, 88ci, s&s 510 cams, truedual headpipes, and pc3. they sound great. i love the sound of his bike, and actually like riding behind his bike....steve

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

My experience was that they change after a while. The extremely deep frequency when new becomes a very pleasing rumble after a while. I'm enjoying the sound. I suspect they would be louder with a 103 or some headers but give them a while and I think you'll like them better.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwire120
Hi,

So i have read several posts where people talk about the VH M/O not being loud enough and some swearing by them. I recently installed a set of power duals and M/O, then got the super tuner to remap my 12 limited ( still need to get a real dyno done though). I have to say the differnce in stock vs the M/0 is widly different, the M/O are without a doubt deeper sounding more like a harley should and only a little louder than stock.

( took it in for a 10k and got to hear the pipes when im not on the bike for the first time and from a distance they arent that loud ...but still sound nice and deep which is what i want)

ok ...so now here is the problem and seeing if anyone else has seen this problem. sitting on the bike moving or not, the sound pressure and noise on the bike is loud enough after an hour of riding to make our ears ring.

its almost as if since the heat shield doesnt go all the way around the can itself that some of the sound is being fired directly towards the tire and then up to the riders.
or how is it possible to have more sound surround the bike than what is coming out the back? ( and yes i did check for any exhaust leaks)
Yea. I have twin slash monster ovals. Sound pressure seems pretty intense so far but not many miles on them yet. Nice sound overall though...

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Bobino
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Love them with my half-helmet. A little bit annoying when wearing my 3/4 helmet, more resonance it seems to the ears, especially at lower speeds. But I'm getting somewhat used to it now.

Quick Reply: Monster Oval sound level