Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Oval sound level

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
hotwire120
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genius I believe they are turned up or the longer part is on top.
Jberg, I do like the low frequency of the pipes, just wish it was all coming out of the back.
Calgary, that excatly what I'm wondering...beacuse when I heard someone else ride it I was almost shocked at how quiet they seemed vs when on the bike. I'm actually wondering if I could put a sheet metal shield around the exposed part of the can to help tone them down.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I should also say mine is a 103 with TD's
At times I'd like them louder other times not so loud...
Over all very nice!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah that's why many people with louder pipes don't wear helmets, they seem to trap the sound including making valve noise louder. Take it in traffic without your helmet and you'll see what I mean. Ear plugs are a lot less expensive than trying to get the sound just right.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM
hotwire120
Intermediate
Default continuation

So, I think I came up with a solution to this noise problem and hopefully this weekend we will see if it works.

Basically, after hours thinking and pounding to get the baffles out, pulling out the old packing that was as hard as a rock, then using a rotary tool to break the tack welds on the screen.

I ordered a dry stainless steel wool repacking kit which came with a large sheet of the wool and a sheet of stainless mesh. I sandwiched the wool between to layers of the mesh ( for structural reinforcement and to keep the wool from blowing apart), cut to length and rolled into a tube then sewed it together with stainless steel welding wire so it would cover both the intake and output sides of the baffle. Put it all back together and took them to a welder to weld the screens back on.

Tonight I get to repack and reassemble everything then wait till this weekend to try them out and retune the bike with the super tuner. My hope is that it dampens that sound pressure yet retains a little of the sound, flow and back pressure, because right I have the stock pipes on and even those are louder with the power dual headers.

Theory being to force the exhaust through the tube of wool as a first layer of sound silencing and out to the packing which should act as a second layer of silencing. Lastly back through the wool again as a last layer of sound control.

damn this is a lot of work to keep my ears from bleeding since I don't want to give up on the looks of those cans.

Attached Thumbnails Monster Oval sound level-imag0850.jpg   Monster Oval sound level-imag0849.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

My pal has the PD's and M/O's on his FLHTK- either i lead or if following I drop waaaay back- they project a tinny annoying sound straight out the back.

He stores his bike with me in the winters and I ride it some, noisy in the cockpit. and due to the noise I don't use for any length of time.

Less an issue for the owner, he has severe occupational hearing loss and never even tries to use the radio

and on his lowered bike, the cover on the X pipe can hit HARD on right turns.

anyone considering pipes should check them out on another bike before spending alot of cash. ensure that the first purchase is the smart purchase

given the reversion and pulses in the exhaust tract ( which travel both ways in the pipes) I would seriously question the use of any "steel wool" type product in the exhaust

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had the Monster Ovals and for me it was more of a resonance thing, over the actual sound level.
I could not wear a 3/4 helmet. I could get by with a half helmet.
But the one thing I could not do was wear ear plugs with a 3/4 helmet.

That thumping feeling you get from them in your chest, must be thumping your ear drums is all I can figure out.

Good luck……………….I bought mine used and the guy I bought them from said he wife couldn’t stand the thumping.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM
SBRoadKing
Intermediate

Love my Monster Ovals. Deep rumble without being too loud. Wear a half helmet and the wind noise bothers me more than the pipes.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM
UkCatsHarley
Cruiser

I like the sound of the twin slashes vs the Monster ovals or rounds.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotwire120
Hi,

So i have read several posts where people talk about the VH M/O not being loud enough and some swearing by them. I recently installed a set of power duals and M/O, then got the super tuner to remap my 12 limited ( still need to get a real dyno done though). I have to say the differnce in stock vs the M/0 is widly different, the M/O are without a doubt deeper sounding more like a harley should and only a little louder than stock.

( took it in for a 10k and got to hear the pipes when im not on the bike for the first time and from a distance they arent that loud ...but still sound nice and deep which is what i want)

ok ...so now here is the problem and seeing if anyone else has seen this problem. sitting on the bike moving or not, the sound pressure and noise on the bike is loud enough after an hour of riding to make our ears ring.

its almost as if since the heat shield doesnt go all the way around the can itself that some of the sound is being fired directly towards the tire and then up to the riders.
or how is it possible to have more sound surround the bike than what is coming out the back? ( and yes i did check for any exhaust leaks)
See my post titled "Looking for quiet exhaust again!" It will tell my story which sounds a lot like yours. Bottom line is I had to get rid of them. Drove me deft and crazy!

Last edited by rockajet1; 06-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I bought rock a jet's mo's. I think we both made out. I love em. I wear a half helmet and love to get on the highway and cruise around 2800 rpm's the sound is magnificent. It fianally sounds like a Harley. the only problem I have with them is the way they mount. The hanging bar sits way in front of the hanger. I had the rubber mount slip out from the hanger and had to force it back in. Other than that, no problems with ringing in my ears. I do wear a half helmet with the ear covers on to cut back on wind.

Quick Reply: Monster Oval sound level