Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
What about speaker covers. I know they installed these in my truck. They cover the outside of the speaker so the sound will travel foward.
I guess this idea is out of the question?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought two extra large foam rubber mouse pads and used silicone adhesive to glue them to the outer fairing, directly behind the speakers. These pads are about 1/4" thick and very flexible. They contour to the curves of the fairing very well.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...a-Large-Mouse/

These things are big (13.3" x 13.3"), a little trimming to fit and they look like they were made for the fairing. I should have the fairing back together tonight. I am hoping for an even better sound than I have now.

I was told by a friend with many years in the audio business that this was all that I needed to do. He says that the foam rubber behind the speaker soakes up and dissipates the presssure wave from the back of the speaker. This helps prevent bass distortion, cleaning up the bass.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I actually had a couple of squares of polyfil that was used as packaging cushion. I basically trimmed these down so I could fully cover the speakers and tuck the sides into nooks/crannies of the fairing/brackets. Putting the outer fairing back on will keep everything in place...
Thanks troop, I'm going to try the male side of Velcro around the speakers and see if it holds. I did this to 6" PVC speaker cans that I made for my golf cart and its incredible the depth it creates.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
42gunner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iglideUC
i went to wal-mart and picked up a blue foam workout mat. cut it to form pieces and used 3-m glue to retain contact to the fairing. That was around 10.00 and works great IMO. adds a more solid sound to the fairing speakers.

....but I used one of those mats for in front of kitchen sink. Bought it at Costco for about $15.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been there done that -- Worth it. Reduced the resonance in the fairing quite a bit.

Are you going to notice a huge difference in sound on the highway? No. You'll probably notice more listening to talk radio than with music. But I wouldn't consider it a waste in any case.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 AM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its worth it

Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's definitely worth it, but was it necessary to line the entire inner fairing? My understanding was that a square attached directly behind the speakers was sufficient. No?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First, IIRC John Scrip is an audio engineer and has a blog with useful info.

Second, I'd you go to Dynamat's website you'll see a product called Dynaxorb and am explanation of what it does. Dynamat's calls it a backwave that's created behind the speaker by the back and forth movement of the woofer cone. Dynaxorb and /or polyfil disperse the backwave so the sound from the speaker is not compromised.

You can feel the difference in the reduction of the backwave by doing a before and after test--just place your hand on the outer fairing and play some tunes. After installing Dynaxorb or polyfil, play the same tunes and you'll notice much less vibration

Carl

Apologies for the typos--pita type on the iPhone.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-14-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
42gunner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rellortnoc
Just put Dynamat in my fairing. Worth the time and $40? Or waste of time and money?
I did mine and it worked great. It acually pushed the sound our through the speakers much better. I was getting a rattle when I cranked it up...not any more. I would do it. It's sticky to work with though...

Quick Reply: Dynamat in fairing