Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the foam matting that came with the J&M Rokker speakers I think it makes a big difference in sound quality ._

Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

What about speaker covers. I know they installed these in my truck. They cover the outside of the speaker so the sound will travel foward.

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 03-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
Well, you already spent the $$ so does it matter? I have dynamat in my fairing and it made a little bit of difference. I just recently wrapped my speakers with polyfill and that made a more noticeable difference in bass tightness. I had a couple sheets laying around that were used for package cushioning. Buy a cheap pillow and get it from there....
I used polyfill in a set of speaker cans i made for the golf cart, how are you wrapping the speakers?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a $4.00 1/2 inch place mat on the outer shell of the fairing, have nothing in bags yet except stuff with the same speakers and the bass in the fairing is more than my bags. ericl did you get your amp dialed in mine friggin hurts my ears in the garage still waiting for the weather to break in Il

Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Modee1245
Actually it is well worth the money. I am sure that you have noticed a difference in the sound of your music. It will also help keep out of the fairing. I put it in mine about 2 yrs ago along with my saddlebags as I have speakers in it as well.
In saddle bags, with nothing else in them, I suspect you noticed a difference, but, a total waste of money in the fairing where the waves are diffused, totally, by all the components in there.

As someone mentioned, it adds weight (possibly minimal), also will effect the temperature in there which will make the poorly set up temp guage, work worse than it allready does.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
I used a $4.00 1/2 inch place mat on the outer shell of the fairing, have nothing in bags yet except stuff with the same speakers and the bass in the fairing is more than my bags. ericl did you get your amp dialed in mine friggin hurts my ears in the garage still waiting for the weather to break in Il
Hey Shakrr, yeah I got it up and running.

there is no way I would be able to adjust the amp in the garage. 70% volume on the Head Unit and set gain to distortion, the system will make your ears bleed at 40%. Used the 1kHz test tone and multimeter, hertz are 130 watt RMS at 4 ohm. Square root of Wattage x ohms = 22.8 volt output on the amp. No clipping, friggin loud.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Voldemort
My concern with the blue workout mat is it will act like a sponge and soak up any water that might leak into the fairing. Poly fill will shed the water. Just a thought.
A logical and well thought concern:
These mats are made from the same product that my old military sleeping bag/PT mat is made of. And that has kept me dry for 8 years! i just did not want to cut the PT mat as i still use it when my ole lady boots me out and i have to sleep under the stars!!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,855 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Anything you do to lose the resonance in the fairing will help a little in improving sound.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
I used polyfill in a set of speaker cans i made for the golf cart, how are you wrapping the speakers?
I actually had a couple of squares of polyfil that was used as packaging cushion. I basically trimmed these down so I could fully cover the speakers and tuck the sides into nooks/crannies of the fairing/brackets. Putting the outer fairing back on will keep everything in place...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most naysayers and haters have never done it. These are the same folks who pay $40 for 2 HD shirts, a PIAA headlight bulb, tassles, grips, pegs, axle covers, points cover, etc. etc. I offer it to customers and i have it in my pickup truck.

In the fairing, it helps reduce vibration and assists with speaker sound. It also makes the fairing 'feel' more structurally sound. Looks like you did a good job.

Last edited by stupid_rope; 03-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Dynamat in fairing