Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about headgasket replacement '96 rk

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 08:13 PM
griffsyj
|
Advanced
Default questions about headgasket replacement '96 rk

Well the headgasket on the rear cylinder blew on my '96 road king (stock 80in evo) and I have a few questions regarding replacing them since I've never done it before. I'm going to replace both head gaskets, and both base gaskets for the jugs. Bear with me because I haven't opened my manual yet to look into how to do this...its sitting in my friend's garage instead of at my house. Don't ask me why a head gasket blew on a 41000 mile motor....I couldn't tell you why half the stuff broke and went bad on this scooter since I bought it last May.

I plan on replacing the base gaskets on the jugs because I'm worried that they will be the next to blow. If I put new head gaskets in, then they become the next weak link..and given my history of bad luck with this scooter, I might as well do it so they don't blow on me in Myrtle Beach in May.

First question, can I replace the jug base gaskets without pulling the motor out of the bike? I believe they are held in place with studs, so I'm not sure if I will have the clearance required to do so with the motor in the bike.

Second question if first question is yes: Am I going to have to get into the bottom end and disconnect the pistons in order to pull the jugs off?

And lastly, Any tips or tricks, or special tools I need to buy/ modify in order to do this with the motor in the frame?

Old 03-10-2013 | 08:54 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

it is all in the manual- so make sure you follow the steps-- keep it in the can and read through it a few times before you start- make sure you already have ALL the tools you will need before you start.

gas tank off

remove heads

the heads "clamp" the cylinders down onto the cases...so the cylinders slide up over the pistons, leaving the bottom end intact.

( so answers are 1.) yes leave motor in bike. 2.) nope, the cyl's slide up, over and off of the pistons.)

if you are blowing gaskets, once you start the bike, allow it to warm up until the heads are warm to the touch...then take it easy the first 10 miles.

hammering a cold motor will poop the seals out the side as all the metal parts are not expanded to tolerance.

41 K is not much- my 88 FXRP has about 80k, my 95 FLHTC had over 82k when I sold it in 2010...current owner is still riding it happily.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2013 | 09:21 PM
griffsyj
|
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I dont know why I'm popping gaskets, I always let the bike warm up until the back cylinder is hot before I go anywhere. On the same cylinder I just replaced the rocker box gaskets because the bottom gasket was leaking. I've put maybe 40 miles on the bike since then, and the rear one is leaking again, along with the head gasket leaking from the back right side of the cylinder, and there is some oil seepage where the jug contacts the base of the motor. I don't know if its just coincidence or if its all connected. It's also a very cold blooded bike which I find odd because its fuel injected. I HAVE to give it throttle to start when the motor is cold, and hold the throttle slightly for a few seconds once it fires off...or it will die, and just crank for forever.