Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'11 Merlot S'Glide 103" to 107" Build Finally Started .. it's at the builder at least

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default '11 Merlot S'Glide 103" to 107" Build Finally Started .. it's at the builder at least

After months of quotes, research, emails, posts and conversations, she was finally delivered to the builder that gave me the best deal which happens to be a dealer. The specifics ....

FM 107" Big Bore Kit
CP +3 Domed Pistons (10.75:1 CR) (actual static 10.6-10.7)
TW-777 Cams
Wood Performance Directional Lifters
FM Adjustable PR's
FM Level B CNC Heads
FM Throttle Body Porting & A/C Backing Plate Match
32-Tooth to 30-Tooth Tranny Sprocket Upgrade
Goodyear-Falcon SPC 1"-139T Drive Belt
Baseline Dyno Run
Dyno Break-in
Dyno Tune
Before and After Dyno Files (.drf files)
Delivery Upon Completion

The build will retain the existing SE Heavy Breather, SEPST, SE clutch spring, V&H Power Duals and Bassini 4" Megaphones with 2-1/4" baffles.

Why this dealer over other dealers or Indies?

In my opinion, they have the most extensive "hot rod" motor building experience in North GA, a capable tuner trained by "Doc" Weaver's training programs and a WRITTEN one-year warranty on their work that they coupled with the remaining manufacturer's "bumper to bumper" warranty with one year left. Basically, the bike, after the build, will be warranted for one year from "bumper to bumper" ... IN WRITING!

Since FM is about three weeks out with their head work at this point, the build will take about four weeks (I desire to have all work done on my parts in lieu of exchange). The initial baseline run should be done Tuesday and the stock parts should be on their way to FM by week's end.

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 01-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What dealer is that....?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

Originally Posted by timvan
What dealer is that....?
.... Mountain Creek in Dalton.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:44 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

Four baseline runs were made today before starting the tear down ... best run was 87 rwhp / 103 rwt.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM
ccspitzer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Four baseline runs were made today before starting the tear down ... best run was 87 rwhp / 103 rwt.

I didn't see crank welding on your list, did you consciously not have that done? My 107 build was just completed and I'm fearing I should've welded mine.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccspitzer
I didn't see crank welding on your list, did you consciously not have that done? My 107 build was just completed and I'm fearing I should've welded mine.
If your going to pull a crank, you may as well bore the cases and do a big, big bore. I have a 106 and I don't live in fear of my crank, its stock with .001 runout and should be fine.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

Originally Posted by ccspitzer
Virtually everyone I talked to said there was no need welding the crank with a big bore kit. Basically, at this power level, I am confident it is not needed. There is a chance that someone will have crank issues even at the stock power level so I am just going to play the odds. If you add boost, nitrous or going bigger than a 107", that is a whole different story.

Besides, if the crank does not spec, it will be replaced under warranty and, if the motor (or anything else for that matter) breaks in the first year, it is under warranty as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

She is getting close ... according to Jamie at FM, the heads will be back from CNC next Tuesday the 16th and everything will be shipped back to the builder Wednesday. Hopefully, she will be complete, tuned and back home sometime the week of the 22nd!

Since she will no longer have a "103", I had the builder order a different derby cover with matching points cover to replace the stock ones since it will be apart anyway .... the covers have come in ....

Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

Even closer to completion .... the heads came back to FM from CNC last Friday and all was delivered to the dealership today. The bike should be on the lift this week for re-assembly and the pulley swap. Hopefully, it will be ready sometime next week at the latest. I will post the results once I receive the .drf files after the tune.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master

According to the dealer, she is together and there are hopes to fire it Monday, a basic tune uploaded and some road miles. The dyno break-in and dyno tune is scheduled for Tuesday .... back home this week? My fingers are crossed!

Quick Reply: '11 Merlot S'Glide 103" to 107" Build Finally Started .. it's at the builder at least