Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom iPod Interface Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 AM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boom iPod Interface Issues

I have installed the system to HD's specs (at least I think). Are there any good links that would help me ensure the proper installation. I have a 12 Street Glide. There is absolutely no response to the stereo head unit after everything is installed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by claytucc3
I have installed the system to HD's specs (at least I think). Are there any good links that would help me ensure the proper installation. I have a 12 Street Glide. There is absolutely no response to the stereo head unit after everything is installed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post10824326

This post helped me a lot with my install a few months back. Double / triple check all your connections. Good luck

Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 AM
claytucc3
Tourer

Thanks for the response. I found that thread during my research and it appears that I have the install correct. I have double checked the wire harnesses and then I triple checked them. When I turn on the radio, it never even powers up the iPhone.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i believe the radio has to be flashed with the interface firmware to recognize the interface ! may be wrong but something worth looking at.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

I didn't have to flash mine but it is a year newer than the OP so I am not sure when HD / HK did the firmware update. But I too was 100% certain I had all the wires seated properly. On a last ditch effort before I went into Hulk smash mode I connected the 6 pin connector without the the two wires (I forget the color and no where near my bike to check). Once the two connectors locked into place I inserted the two extra wires and for some reason and with a little luck and muscle they seated properly and made the connections. Since then no problems.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

There is the link to check if you need the d/l with directions on how to do it yourself.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Originally Posted by iglideUC
i believe the radio has to be flashed with the interface firmware to recognize the interface ! may be wrong but something worth looking at.
Originally Posted by AzDesertTroll
I didn't have to flash mine but it is a year newer than the OP so I am not sure when HD / HK did the firmware update. But I too was 100% certain I had all the wires seated properly. On a last ditch effort before I went into Hulk smash mode I connected the 6 pin connector without the the two wires (I forget the color and no where near my bike to check). Once the two connectors locked into place I inserted the two extra wires and for some reason and with a little luck and muscle they seated properly and made the connections. Since then no problems.

nope, no flash necessary.

when i did my installation, i had the same problem. not being recognized by the head unit. turns out i had almost the same solution. i had a wire or two that was not fully seated in that 6 pin connector. don't go by looks alone, mine looked like they were correct, but i physically checked each wire in that connector and then when i hooked it up again, voila! ipod was now a choice on the headunit.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
claytucc3
Tourer

So, my issue was the 6 pin connector. I had to completely disassemble the connector and install the wires. Once I had the connector apart, I was able to adjust the pins exactly to the lengths of the stock unit. Simply shoving them into the connector wouldn't work.

I also did not need to perform any software upgrades for my stereo head unit.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Originally Posted by claytucc3
So, my issue was the 6 pin connector. I had to completely disassemble the connector and install the wires.
seen more than a few of these where that 6 pin connector was the culprit. even though it looks right, it isn't right......

good to hear you got it sorted out.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The wires need to be inserted so that the socket at the end of the wire engages the locking tang in the connector to lock it in place. Once the secondary lock is removed, the tangs are visible and the orientation of the socket to stage a tang is easily seen.

A good resource is info on Batts Racing 's website for assembling Deutsch connectors IIRC, or google Deutch connector assembly.

Glad you figured it out.

Carl

Quick Reply: Boom iPod Interface Issues