Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible flaw with Brukus system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:04 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Possible flaw with Brukus system

I was installing my Brukus saddlebag security system on my SG today and I was installing the first fastener and had to adjust the bracket that holds the clips inorder for the holes to line up. That's when I realized how easy it would be for a thief, once they identify Brukus hardware to simply put a open end wrench to the bracket bolt and remove the whole setup in a matter of minutes.
I immediately stopped my install and was wondering if there is a security bolt available for the bracket because that would now be the weakest link in the security. If not, I don't see any value in the system because it only makes it harder for us to check the air in the rear tire and a thief could potentially grab the bags without much effort.

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:09 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

Have not gotten around to installing mine, but after reading this, I think I will check it out. I am sure someone will state the obvious " No System is Fool Proof", but if all it does is make the bags more difficult to get off it might be PIA for cleaning, but it might also buy the bike owners some time ?

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:53 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I replaced that bolt with allen head bolt. May take them longer to remove if they have an allen key set but if they want the bags, their get them one way or another.

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:59 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I was installing my Brukus saddlebag security system on my SG today and I was installing the first fastener and had to adjust the bracket that holds the clips inorder for the holes to line up. That's when I realized how easy it would be for a thief, once they identify Brukus hardware to simply put a open end wrench to the bracket bolt and remove the whole setup in a matter of minutes.
I immediately stopped my install and was wondering if there is a security bolt available for the bracket because that would now be the weakest link in the security. If not, I don't see any value in the system because it only makes it harder for us to check the air in the rear tire and a thief could potentially grab the bags without much effort.
You must have a different Brukus system than the one I have. On mine, there is no bolt for a wrench of any kind to take the bolts out that screw in from inside the saddle bags. I would imagine that if a thief wanted my bags, he'd get them, but only with great and timely effort; quickly by destroying the locks AND the bags in the process.

Might want to post some pics of what you're seeing. Doesn't sound right based on what I have.

Last edited by gipper; 03-09-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2013 | 04:10 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

put mine on today getting ready for the snow to go away and have no idea what you are seeing or how you put them on ,no nut on the outside of the bag or anything to put a wrench on , very good on mine and easy install , nothing is fool proof but the biggest reason I bought mine was all the people talking about there bags falling off , not so much for the theft deterant

Old 03-09-2013 | 04:31 PM
whoop72
Tourer

I saw the exact same thing when I installed mine. Even pointed this out to Brukus, but received no reply. It definitely is a problem. Since I don't have my manual yet, I haven't removed the bolt, as I didn't know if there was anything behind the frame to be concerned about when removing the bolt. From what the OP says, it's not an issue. An allen head bolt or torx head bolt would at least be better than the original hex head.

Old 03-09-2013 | 04:33 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Old 03-09-2013 | 05:08 PM
BlkVlvtRydr
Advanced

So if I understand this correctly, the bolt you speak of is not one provided by Brukus but instead the 7/16th bolt that holds the front saddle bag mount to the bike (one per side). Since I don't have the Brukus set up I will go as far as making the assumption that it comes with two bolts per side to secure the bags to the bike. If they only provide one per side then placing the Brukus bolt in the rear mount will keep the bags secure regardless of the 7/16th bolt on the front mount area. Hope this clears some questions up.

Old 03-09-2013 | 05:12 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Unless they updated the hardware, my kit doesn't have any accessible heads either...can you post some pics so we can have a looksee...pls.

Old 03-09-2013 | 05:16 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser

nothing will make a total Secure saddle bag - imo
....as stated if they want it - well
but you could replace the mc bailhead stud Bracket bolt with a 1/4-20x3/4 security bolt - grade 5 think is what the mc uses
seen them with many different head configurations

Quick Reply: Possible flaw with Brukus system