Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible flaw with Brukus system

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013 | 08:44 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Terrabella
This what I use. Less than $ 10.00. Found; local hardware store. If they are going to get serious, you can not stop a thief from stealing your stuff.
I got the exact same thing from the local hardware store last Friday except for bolt. I bought a 1-1/4" bolt.
Will the 1" be long enough?

Old 03-11-2013 | 09:09 AM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roger That
I got the exact same thing from the local hardware store last Friday except for bolt. I bought a 1-1/4" bolt.
Yes, a 1 inch bolt will work fine. That is what I have used.

Old 03-11-2013 | 09:30 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master

What you guys have to also realize is most saddlebag....or any theft from a motorcycle, is usually a crime of opportunity.

These guys go out and LOOK for the easy stuff, so if they see you have a security measure on the saddlebags....it's doubtful they are going to pull out a 1/2" wrench and start yanking bags.

Either way, that's a slippery slope, you'd have to put security bolts / fasteners on everything from the tour pack mounting bolts....to the side-view mirrors if you continue to think like this.

Old 03-11-2013 | 09:32 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Roger That
I bought 1" bolts, and they were too short. I also am using a split ring lock washer in addition to the stock washer.

1.25" bolts worked perfectly and there was almost 0 thread extending past the u-clip. Certainly not enough to get a pair of pliers on to back the bolt out.

Old 03-11-2013 | 09:44 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by gipper
You must have a different Brukus system than the one I have. On mine, there is no bolt for a wrench of any kind to take the bolts out that screw in from inside the saddle bags. I would imagine that if a thief wanted my bags, he'd get them, but only with great and timely effort; quickly by destroying the locks AND the bags in the process.

Might want to post some pics of what you're seeing. Doesn't sound right based on what I have.
Agreed, the box end of the bolt goes inside the bag not from the outside, youve got it backwards.

Old 03-11-2013 | 09:50 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

It's all about risk. Stock hardware can be broken off instantly without opening the lid. Brukus type hardware forces theives to break into the bag which takes a lot more time and reduces the value of the damaged bag.

Beary

Old 03-11-2013 | 10:06 AM
plutnicki
Road Master

For those concerned about accessibility to the shock air valve, have you considered just replacing one quick release on each side. Would provide security and reduce the number of bolts to remove by 1/2. That's what I was thinking of doing on mine...

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:02 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
It's all about risk. Stock hardware can be broken off instantly without opening the lid. Brukus type hardware forces theives to break into the bag which takes a lot more time and reduces the value of the damaged bag.

Beary
It's also about paranoia ..... some guys are content with the stock set up and insurance. The next guy uses something like Brukus to feel better. Then the next guy sees that weak link on the bracket bolts and comes up with something to deter those. Then the next guy realizes they may just rip the bags off regardless of damage to get to the contents, so he designs something to wrap around and protect that. But wait, now they might take the whole bike! What to do? What to do?

Point is, secure it to the level you feel comfortable with, is a two minute delay enough to move a thief on, ten minutes, whatever, depends on the thief? I agree, the harder you make it, the better chance you have of keeping your stuff, but depending on the thief and what they are ultimately after, nothing is safe.

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:34 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by plutnicki
For those concerned about accessibility to the shock air valve, have you considered just replacing one quick release on each side. Would provide security and reduce the number of bolts to remove by 1/2. That's what I was thinking of doing on mine...
Actually just dealt with accessing shock air valve last night. I think the Brukus kit makes it easier to get at the valve. I just backed both fasteners out to the point where I could tilt the saddlebag slightly toward me and that was enough to thread the shock pump on to the air valve. When done I re-tightened the fasteners....nice not having the left saddlebage resting on my knees while I checked air in shocks.

Old 03-11-2013 | 11:42 AM
56tbird
Tourer

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Actually just dealt with accessing shock air valve last night. I think the Brukus kit makes it easier to get at the valve. I just backed both fasteners out to the point where I could tilt the saddlebag slightly toward me and that was enough to thread the shock pump on to the air valve. When done I re-tightened the fasteners....nice not having the left saddlebage resting on my knees while I checked air in shocks.

On my '11 Ultra, I never had to remove the saddlebag to get to the shock air valve... I just needed to open the lid...I won't need to do that much longer as I'm going to upgrade to Ohlins or JRI once I talk to Howard @ Motorcycle Metal

Quick Reply: Possible flaw with Brukus system