Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible flaw with Brukus system

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 07:06 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hamlinbikertrash
Back in 05 my whole freakin bike got stolen. Anybody got a lock nut for that? If they want it bad enough it`s gone.
Exactly. I was just about to post "did you know, with the right tools you can steal the engine out of a Harley?"

Old 03-10-2013 | 07:12 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

No way - I say it's impossible...

Attached Thumbnails Possible flaw with Brukus system-stripped.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013 | 07:26 AM
Johnny103ci
Cruiser

Back in 05 my whole freakin bike got stolen. Anybody got a lock nut for that? If they want it bad enough it`s gone.
Obviously your Brukus system must have malfunctioned

Old 03-10-2013 | 07:38 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

Fender washers, universal clevis pins cut to length with hairpins on the interior of the bag. Upgrade is better than stock, cheaper than Brukus. I don't really think anything will stop the determined thief but if it makes you feel better to spend more money....knock yourself out. I don't think they really want the bags as much as the contents and if they want them they will get them. By the time your pager notifies you and you get out to the bike the crowbar has already done its job and the perps are gone. Nothing wrong with peace of mind but money won't buy it or stop someone from trying to take it.

Old 03-10-2013 | 12:14 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jack0890
I just went and looked at my wife's street glide and I believe the OP is referring to the bolt that holds the front saddlebag bracket to the frame of the bike. This is the one you have to take out if you remove the passenger grab strap from the seat completely (she has no need for the strap). With this being said, the rear saddlebag bracket is integrated with the saddlebag support bar which the saddlebag sets on when mounted. So yes, they can remove the front, but not the back. At least not without tearing something up. As HDV-Glide said, you can replace it with an allen head should you want to, but not all that necessary. Bottom line is if they want it, they will get it, but like everyone else, I'm gonna make'em work for it anyway.

Hope this clears it up.
I don't know what year your wife's SG is but my SG is an '06 and the rear bracket bolt is easily accessible.

Old 03-10-2013 | 12:23 PM
Streetrunner
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Poorly titled thread IMO. The Bruckus hardware does what is intended to do.

Carl
My point is that if all you have to do is unbolt the saddlebag brackets then whats the sense of adding security so that the bags are difficult to remove from the bracket. It only makes it harder for the owner to check the air in his rear tire and the bags can still be easily stolen. I think the answer is to add a security bolt to the brackets along with the brukus hardware for the bags. The later model glides may have a different mounting system for the bracket but on the older models it's easy as pie to remove the brackets.

Last edited by Streetrunner; 03-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2013 | 12:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
My point is that if all you have to do is unbolt the saddlebag brackets then whats the sense of adding security so that the bags are difficult to remove from the bracket. It only makes it harder for the owner to check the air in his rear tire and the bags can still be easily stolen. I think the answer is to add a security bolt to the brackets along with the brukus hardware for the bags. The later model glides may have a different mounting system for the bracket but on the older models it's as s pie to remove the brackets.

These are crimes of opportunity. If you have a Brukus system, a thief will likely move on to the next bike. They arent going to sit there d1cking around with a wrench when the next bike's bags can be had by just popping them off with a screwdriver. Beyond that, there are no guarantees, bring your bags into the hotel or just stop fretting about it.

Old 03-10-2013 | 12:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know what year your wife's SG is but my SG is an '06 and the rear bracket bolt is easily accessible.
My point is that if all you have to do is unbolt the saddlebag brackets then whats the sense of adding security so that the bags are difficult to remove from the bracket. It only makes it harder for the owner to check the air in his rear tire and the bags can still be easily stolen. I think the answer is to add a security bolt to the brackets along with the brukus hardware for the bags. The later model glides may have a different mounting system for the bracket but on the older models it's as s pie to remove the brackets.
you're right. with the frame change in 09, came the new bag mounting. if you have an older bike, then i would suggest supplementing any bag antitheft system with some type of security bolt on those bag mounts. there is a thread floating around here where a member used a copper 'dish' from the plumbing section of lowe's on the bolt that prevented anyone from getting a wrench on there.

Old 03-10-2013 | 02:59 PM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor

I'm chiming in here because I just was made aware of this thread. Every once in a while we have a customer with this concern. I wasn't sure which all bikes were like this, but it seems most bikes don't have this issue. But that's not discounting those of you who do have this concern.

In the past, we have ordered and sold 4 stainless steel security screws that work with the same tool as the SaddlebagSecure, but are longer to use on the brackets. We don't get enough call for them to stock them regularly to sell, but if you call us - we will order them for you.

Also, another possible option is to turn at least one of the brackets on each side so that a thief cannot get access to the bolts, if that is possible.

And I apologize to whoop72 if no one ever got back to you about this.

Old 03-10-2013 | 03:18 PM
11rkc
Road Captain

Try this with some loctite.

Quick Reply: Possible flaw with Brukus system