Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:23 AM
robw
|
Advanced
Default New Owner Questions

First a little about me. I owned a couple of Harleys in the late 70's and early 80's. Since then I have been riding GoldWings. I recently decided to add a Harley to the garage. I bought an 02 FLHTCUI that has a stage one with power commander. Other than a few chrome add ons it is pretty much stock.

The immediate problem I need to address is foot position. I did a search and found floorboard extenders which I will get. I'd also like to add highway pegs but the posts I found weren't very specific.
The posts I found mentioned 360's. What are 360's and where can I look for them?

When I did a search for "highway pegs" on the Touring board I got a lot posts that didn't even mention pegs. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks
Rob

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:39 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

I got this from the softail models but the "360" are harleys adjustable 360* pegs I can get the part number in a few
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-heritage.html

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:42 AM
basselope
Road Captain

Since you're not quite sure what you want, I would highly recommend visiting a dealer or two. Not only can they give you an intro to the different styles and what they're called, but they are likely to have several bikes with pegs you can try on for size. Its one thing to think you want stretch out like you're in your favorite recliner, but could prove a very uncomfortable position... particularly if you already have a decades long riding posture that doesn't include resting your head on the tour pack. LOL

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:56 AM
robw
|
Advanced

The problem I'm having is in order to rest my feet on the footboards I have to hug the tank and turn my feet inward. After 30 miles I felt like I was riding a clydesdale! I figure the footboard extenders will alleviate some of that and the highway pegs would allow me to straghten my legs out more on long rides.
I will also condsider getting a brake pedal extension so I can hit the brakes without having to move my foot inboard to apply them.

Old 03-09-2013 | 11:02 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Here is a link to the 360s on Harley's web site http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013 | 11:21 AM
basselope
Road Captain

Yep, I know what you're saying. I haven't purchased floorboard extenders yet, but its on my list. Some move the boards outward only, while others move the boards out and forward.

The extenders don't seems as urgent since I added a Tallboy seat to move me back and took my dealer's advice to turn the front shift lever 180 degrees so the offset is inboard rather than outboard. This gave my size 12.5 boots some room to wiggle. The addition of 360 short peg mounts lets me stretch my 36" legs on long hauls.
360 mouting kit:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

The mounting kit includes the bar clamps and either long or short arms and kinda looks like a small bicycle pedal once you add pegs (sold separately). Long legs, get short arms. Short legs, get long arms. You can rotate the arms to nearly any position, but you may wind up with the pegs at odd angles at times. This can sometimes be corrected by positioning the bar clamp so that the arm bolt is either forward or rearward of the highway bar.

Old 03-09-2013 | 11:32 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

There are other pegs besides the Harley ones. Look at the Kuryakyn site as well as the other aftermarkets like Drag Specialities.

Old 03-09-2013 | 12:29 PM
robw
|
Advanced

Thanks guys, I'll start checking around.
Basselope I have a 31" inseam. do you know if that is consider long legged or not?
Once I get the foot position figured out I will work on handlebar position. the seat and backrest seem comfortable enough but I may have to tilt the bars back a little. Are there any issues tilting the bars a little?

Old 03-09-2013 | 02:35 PM
basselope
Road Captain

With the Harley mounts, I'd say go with the long arms. As glide2meetu mentioned, there are other manufacturers, but I couldn't comment on how they stack up.
A quick google image search turns up a pile of different styles. Another good reason to visit a dealer so you can get a better feel for where your feet need to be so you can pick a style that suits you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...GqMOaHygG884Bg

Old 03-09-2013 | 04:55 PM
robw
|
Advanced

Thanks again. I'll check with the dealer next week and start checking the for sale boards, too.

Quick Reply: New Owner Questions