Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strange Brake issue.

I know the rear brake switch has a recall but what are the issues you would experience? I am taking mine in Fri. but today I was riding and had no pedal. After I hit the brake a couple of times it stayed down with no braking or very little. After I stop it seems to feel fine while the bike is off. While riding at slow speed it sounds like it is blowing air out the back wheel. I checked the fluid and it is full. I had my front r Master Cylinder changed and this happened right after I left the shop. When I asked if this could be related to the ABS module he said he doesn't bleed them when he changes the M/C and they are seperate anyways. When they do my switch tomorrow they need to bleed the ABS module and I hope this helps. In the mean time any ideas ?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Doesn't sound like your issue is related to the brake switch.

The most common failure mode for the switch is to fail in the "activated" position, meaning the rear brake light would always be illuminated even if the brake was released.

The switch really has no effect on brake function unless it leaks. Since your fluid level is ok, that eliminates a leak as the cause.

Your problem has to be a bleeding issue, a master cylinder issue, a caliper issue, or a ABS Module issue. I can't narrow it down any better than that without doing some hands-on diagnostics.