Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Frames Weak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013 | 06:55 PM
Takedown
|
Cruiser
Angry Harley Frames Weak?

Long story short. I was slowing to make a turn and hit an oil spot in the road and went down at less than 10 mph. I picked the bike up and inspected it. I noted a rubbed spot on engine guard and the bottom of saddlebag was scraped up. Other than that no apparent damage (If you walked up to my bike and looked at it you would never know it was down). In fact after I finished looking it over I finished my ride. Now after a few months I discover that my frame is cracked at the tab where the upper part of the engine guard attaches to it. I contacted the Harley dealer and it is an automatic frame change at approximately $3500.00! They also stated that if any of the tins had been damaged I may be looking at a total loss for insurance purposes. All I can say is......Wow! Not very durable! I love Harley's but D#$n!

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:08 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain

I wouldn't say it's weak... think of it more like a situation where a 3 foot fall can kill you if the circumstances are just right. pressures, angle of impact and all that. I would say more than likely just a very unlucky impact.

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:52 PM
2010FLHTCU
Intermediate

Had the same issue when a car side swiped me. I just pushed the tab back together and welded it. Down tubes weren't bent, couldn't see letting the stealership change a frame for just that. The tech actually told me they automatically change the frame, but he didn't see why it couldn't be welded. In my opinion, it's a low stress part of the frame which only purpose is to have something to bolt the crash bar to.

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:52 PM
A5Firearms
Tourer

Is it in a location where it could be welded?

Old 03-06-2013 | 07:55 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member

I understand the dealer can't weld on frame and have HD covering.

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:07 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member

Once again blame it on lawyers and liability. In a reported accident that cracked tab may be considered "frame damage". Frame repair is frowned upon by the industry because its difficult to regulate the quality of the repair. It's easier for them to total it and reflect their cost on the insurance rates. No risk of a law suit for personal injury if the frame did fail after repair. (not all insurance companies will total it for that, mine didn't) In reality that tab isn't part of the frame so much as it's added to the frame for the obvious purpose of tying off the upper part of the engine guard. That tab could be torn off the frame without structurally weakening the down tubes at all. If it was me I'd have it welded by any competent welder and not give it another thought.

Just my opinion

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:16 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

That engine guard is a double edge sword. Accidental tip over saves the damage and $$$. At speed crashes it can save your *** (or legs). Slow crashes? Well it screws your frame when your bike might otherwise only need minor work. Bottom line, it's gonna help in some situations but its gonna cost you a frame.

I waiver back and forth all the time about deleting it.

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:19 PM
rick2800
Tourer

I had a 2000 road king that looked like it cracked from vibration at that tab I welded it myself touched it up with paint and as far as i know it is still good to go.

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:21 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

Weld it and move on as others have stated.

Old 03-06-2013 | 08:56 PM
Rider Steve
Cruiser

The earlier gl1800 had frame cracking problems but it was the actual weld on the frame that was cracking. Honda paid for those problems. If it's just a tab welded to the frame that cracked just have it rewelded and move on.

Quick Reply: Harley Frames Weak?