Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1012 103" is knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Nuts&Bolts
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1012 103" is knocking

Anybody been experencing this, MY 2012 Ultra Limited 103" will knock about 70% of the time when I first start it up or let it sit for about a hour or so. I believe it to be a lifter leaking down and when it pumps up the knock goes away. I have 3,300 miles on it and have taken it to the dealer where I bought it and I'm getting the feeling that they are blowing me off as they say "The Factory says it's normal and to change to 25-50 weight oil and monitor it"
I've had several Harleys and have never experienced this issue and was wondering if anybody else has.
Heck ! I might be in for a fight with the dealer for a replacement of the lifters.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using good, high octane gas?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What oil are you using if not 20/50?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

knocking at start up sounds like a lifter issue. Do you hear it when riding?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Nuts&Bolts
1st Gear

I always use Chevron Premium So. Cal Gas. It doesen't sound like a octane knock but closer to "Tappet" knock and goes away after a couple of seconds or so.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Yes, I have heard of this and one rider we ride with his new bike was knocking, they replaced a lot of parts, pushrols, lifters etc by themselves and the knocking problem went away. Dealership said it was "normal". There was a joke about this poor fellow, when we could all remember when he had a bike that did not knock, back in the day.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
roadglider1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my 13 Limited does the same thing when cold or been sitting for awhile-
it's going to the dealer as soon as the weather clears. Expect I will get the "it's normal" BS -at which time I will probably switch to a TW222 cam and woods lifters. Problem solved

Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuts&Bolts
Anybody been experencing this, MY 2012 Ultra Limited 103" will knock about 70% of the time when I first start it up or let it sit for about a hour or so. I believe it to be a lifter leaking down and when it pumps up the knock goes away. I have 3,300 miles on it and have taken it to the dealer where I bought it and I'm getting the feeling that they are blowing me off as they say "The Factory says it's normal and to change to 25-50 weight oil and monitor it"
I've had several Harleys and have never experienced this issue and was wondering if anybody else has.
Heck ! I might be in for a fight with the dealer for a replacement of the lifters.

Thanks.
These newer bikes have a pretty noticeable knock at about 2000 RPM. I thought I had a problem when I got my bike, I compaired the noise of my bike with several other bikes and realized it sounded the same. Take it to an independent shop and get an opinion from them, HD is going to tell that it is normal regardless of whether or not it is.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm,..... perhaps there is an issue with the '12 and '13 year models with the "C" lifters made in Mexico?

I would not accept the "they all do that B.S. "

Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglider1
my 13 Limited does the same thing when cold or been sitting for awhile-
it's going to the dealer as soon as the weather clears. Expect I will get the "it's normal" BS -at which time I will probably switch to a TW222 cam and woods lifters. Problem solved
I will be installing that setup this weekend!

Quick Reply: My 1012 103" is knocking