Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Need to replace the wheel bearings on my 09 SG. What are you folks running aside from the stealership crap?

Thanks,

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

If your bike is ABS, then you have to use the Harley ABS bearing for the left front and right rear. I am not aware of any substitutes. It is made in Canada, or at least the replacements I bought from HD were. These ABS bearings are 3 mm wider than the non-ABS bearings because they contain the ABS encoder.
As for the non-abs side, there are options out there. SKF comes to mind. Cant remember the model number...6205 or 6209 or something like that. Rated at nearly 10,000 rpms. I am in a motel and can't get to my spares. They look to have a little larger ball in the bearing than the stock HD because the bore wall is slightly thinner than the stocker bore wall.

Note: Since we have to deal with the single row bearings now, it's really important that they are installed properly. Some good threads will come up in a search that will point to the fact that excessive pressure on the race (excessive meaning continued pressure on the race after the bearing is seated) can deform the race and create a condition where the bearing will wear unevenly and/or drastically shorten it's mechanical life.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 03-07-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added the note
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

I used SKF 6205-2RS1, the 6205 is the main # for the bearing, the 2RS is for 2 rubber seals, not sure about the 1. It's a fairly common bearing & most bearing supply houses should carry it, just make sure to use a quality manufacturer, SKF, F A G, etc. Dimensions are 25mm ID, 52mm OD, & 15mm width, that's for the non-ABS bearing, as far as I know HD is the only source for the ABS bearing.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Wheel bearings were a problem for a while, but to repeat that they are crap is probably unreasonable. Have you asked your local friendly dealer if they have been improved since your bike was built four years or so ago?!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I used SKF 6205-2RS1, the 6205 is the main # for the bearing, the 2RS is for 2 rubber seals, not sure about the 1. It's a fairly common bearing & most bearing supply houses should carry it, just make sure to use a quality manufacturer, SKF, F A G, etc. Dimensions are 25mm ID, 52mm OD, & 15mm width, that's for the non-ABS bearing, as far as I know HD is the only source for the ABS bearing.
*** bearings

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Thanks...

Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer

How long are these built to last?
Planning a 3 week trip, out to SD and then up into the north country. It seems people only get about a season out of them.

Wheel bearings were a problem for a while, but to repeat that they are crap is probably unreasonable. Have you asked your local friendly dealer if they have been improved since your was built four years or so ago?!
They seem a little biased...

Last edited by JKSHYT; 03-09-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the right one has been upgraded

just replaced my fronts last week at 25000 miles , the right was trashed bad

old Harley one was 9276 , new one is 9276A

Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
If your bike is ABS, then you have to use the Harley ABS bearing for the left front and right rear. I am not aware of any substitutes. It is made in Canada, or at least the replacements I bought from HD were. These ABS bearings are 3 mm wider than the non-ABS bearings because they contain the ABS encoder.
As for the non-abs side, there are options out there. SKF comes to mind. Cant remember the model number...6205 or 6209 or something like that. Rated at nearly 10,000 rpms. I am in a motel and can't get to my spares. They look to have a little larger ball in the bearing than the stock HD because the bore wall is slightly thinner than the stocker bore wall.

Note: Since we have to deal with the single row bearings now, it's really important that they are installed properly. Some good threads will come up in a search that will point to the fact that excessive pressure on the race (excessive meaning continued pressure on the race after the bearing is seated) can deform the race and create a condition where the bearing will wear unevenly and/or drastically shorten it's mechanical life.
When you sat excessive preasure. Would that mean overtightening the axle bolt?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
When you sat excessive preasure. Would that mean overtightening the axle bolt?
Yes, excessive axle nut tightening can also cause a problem. (in addition to over seating during the bearing install process) The front is to be torqued to no more than 65 ft lbs and the rear 100-109 ft lbs. (on my 2010 touring bike) This is why it's very important to have a quality, calibrated torque wrench. You can frig up a lot of components if a cheap torque wrench decides to let you down.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 03-09-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings