Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input on 5x7 bag speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
VegasKen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on 5x7 bag speakers

My '12 Road Glide Custom is at the dealership getting repaired after a going down. Needed one bag and lid replaced and opted to upgrade to the CVO speaker bag lids and need advice on speakers to put in it. I've currently got the RF PBR 300x4 (my 3rd or 4th but that's a different story) RF 6.5s in the fairing. I also bought an Alpine X305SBT and Biketronics kit I'll be installing soon too. I'm not especially impressed with the RFs in the fairing and was hoping to get some input from those who have done this. PBR is 4 ohm, holes in the lids are 5x7, and I have a couple hundred to spend. Like it loud and clean. Also, if anyone has done this and have a solution to cleanly get wire through the bags while retaining the ability to remove the bags, I'd appreciate this as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

If I remember correctly, the H-D 5"x7" speakers are just a bit different in size than the standard 5"x7" speakers. I know I read where very little tweaking is required to make Polk DB 5"x7" speakers fit, even RF 6"x8" will fit with just a bit of frame grinding/snipping. They'd be a good match for your fronts. Also, you'll need to get some gasket material to help seal the aftermarket speakers/lids. I also think many lid speaker users just wire up some quick disconnects under the seat...

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The HD speakers come in 1 ohm and 2 ohm versions which would not be compatible with the 4 ohm amp unless wired in series to other speakers.

As for wiring the lid speakers, it's pretty easy to drill a hole in the saddlebag, use a grommet in the hole for the speaker wire, and use Deutsch or other quick disconnects to make removing the saddlebag easily removeable. If you want detailed instructions and parts, stop by a HD parts counter and ask the parts person to print out the instructions to the HD saddlebag speaker lid system from the P&A catalog.

Hybrid Audio Technology will shortly release a 5x7 4 ohm drop in speaker for the HD saddlebag lids.

Carl

Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
VegasKen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The parts counter is a good idea. Too bad I read this after leaving the HD dealership 15 minutes ago. OOPS. And yeah, so far I've eliminated the HD speakers and probably the Fosgates. I probably just need to see how a stock one is wired and then get my hands on some Deutsch connectors somewhere. I did look into getting the Boom audio harnesses and connectors and they came up with just over $200 for them. Way too rich for my blood!

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The HD speakers come in 1 ohm and 2 ohm versions which would not be compatible with the 4 ohm amp unless wired in series to other speakers.

As for wiring the lid speakers, it's pretty easy to drill a hole in the saddlebag, use a grommet in the hole for the speaker wire, and use Deutsch or other quick disconnects to make removing the saddlebag easily removeable. If you want detailed instructions and parts, stop by a HD parts counter and ask the parts person to print out the instructions to the HD saddlebag speaker lid system from the P&A catalog.

Hybrid Audio Technology will shortly release a 5x7 4 ohm drop in speaker for the HD saddlebag lids.

Carl

Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If at all possible I'd hold out for the Hybrid Audio offering. I run Scott's speakers in my van and they are the real deal.

Here is a pic of the HD 5x7 drop-in soon to come as well as the Facebook info release:

Pre-order's for the Imagine I57-2 "direct drop-in fit for Harley-Davidson" speaker set, are still open for a little longer.

These speakers feature waterproof cones and a tweeter bridge, making them an ideal solution for Harley-Davidson 5x7" applications, where these speakers are designed to be a "drop-in" upgrade.

Continental U.S. only at this time, please contact us if you are in another location.

Even if you're not ready to pre-order, you can still sign up to receive spec and shipping date updates as they become available.

Thank you!

http://hybrid-audio.com/i572preorder/

Name:  d197538cca3b22368d5f1a7d54f2a3ae_zpsce66c82e.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  154.4 KB

And a link to my van install to show I'm serious about the Hybrid Audio products. Just scroll through for pics on both pages.

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/forum/...hard-in-Nippon

Cheers

Pete

Last edited by nirschl; 03-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i would go for some 5x7 to 6x9 adapter rings from Metra and use a pair of 6x9s back there. Here are the
Delphi connectors Delphi connectors
that I purchased from Amazon.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

These are a 6x9 replacement, they come with adapter plates and use a bridged tweeter so the rain won't ruin them.

http://www.biketronics.com/bt479-6x9...style-hd-lids/

Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
These are a 6x9 replacement, they come with adapter plates and use a bridged tweeter so the rain won't ruin them.

dangit, keep forgetting about those bad boys. They are HAT manufactured, BikeTronics rebranded 6x9s.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HAT makes the TITAN II"s for Biketronics; and, I installed the HAT Unity components in my '04 (woofer in the fairing and tweeters in the Hogtunes Hogpod) and was astonished at the quality of sound at speed--yes, pilgrim--me, quality speakers do make a difference.

The HAT drop-ins will be an excellent product and take up nominal bag space as a drop-in. Any 6x9 will have to mount at the bottom of the lid taking up bag space and you will need to be careful in not overpacking the bag to avoid damage to the speaker.

In any case, whatever you use, be sure to use a bridge mounted tweeter and not a coax. Water will be a problem by leaking past the tweeter cone.

Also, if you want a good video on HAT's water capability, go to their website and see a speaker submerged in water.

Carl

Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy

I have these

Quick Reply: Looking for input on 5x7 bag speakers