Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Solo Seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
SFDonovan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Solo Seat

I am on the verge of sending in my stock 2010 Street Glide seat to Russel Day Long and have it done up right. About $1,100 worth of touring seat to comfort my old body. If you wanted to get a second seat such as a solo, should I avoid the solo's with no back support such as the Danny Gray Buttcrack or Corbin Hollywood solo? I'm not sure how my back would be able to hold up since I have been using a back rest since I bought my Street Glide almost a year ago. The solo's do look sweet and very stylish but I need to be realistic, no matter how damn sporty they look. I have a King TourPak that I take off now and then and was just thinking about a different kind of seat just for solo riding, but I don't want to buy something that is just too damn uncomfortable.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riders backrest

You will NEVER go wrong going with a riders backrest. There is just no substitute for the comfort it offers vs. any solo seat without one. I had a Mustange solo with one for years on a RK and it was the bomb. No doubt scooters look cooler without them, but some of them don't look too bad. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Mustang Wide Tripper Solo w/ backrest for my SG. It looks pretty cool. I've been told that Mean City Cycles can turn one of them into an all day touring seat for $150. I may go that route.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're using the H-D rider backrest kit with your stock seat, a solo won't fit with the underseat backrest mount installed. I sold my H-D backrest mount and bought a solo seat with built in/removable rider backrest. If you want to ride two-up, just swap seats and use your stocker...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser

I agree, the back rest is the way to go. Try to stay away from the bare bones seats like the Hollywood solo, I don't think you would be happy with the comfort compared to what you are used to using.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
SFDonovan
Cruiser

Well I'd have to keep my HD backrest since it would still fit my RDL seat. At least I assumed it still would. The Mustang Vintage Solo Seat with Driver Backrest is only $515 plus shipping, while the Corbin Classic Solo with Ovalbac Leather Backrest is $708 plus shipping. Damn this **** adds up

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SFDonovan
Well I'd have to keep my HD backrest since it would still fit my RDL seat. At least I assumed it still would. The Mustang Vintage Solo Seat with Driver Backrest is only $515 plus shipping, while the Corbin Classic Solo with Ovalbac Leather Backrest is $708 plus shipping. Damn this **** adds up
www.bikertrends.com has really good prices on Mustang seats and they drop ship direct from Mustang (I bought mine from them). www.denniskirk.com does too but they charge extra for the normally included mini bib/chrome seat nuts. I was interested in a Corbin but their classic solo/gunfighter seats use key locks that require mounting hardware on the front seat tongue and rear seat bolts. This will negate the use of your stock seat/RDL. Just some more FYI

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
SFDonovan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by troop
www.bikertrends.com has really good prices on Mustang seats and they drop ship direct from Mustang (I bought mine from them). www.denniskirk.com does too but they charge extra for the normally included mini bib/chrome seat nuts. I was interested in a Corbin but their classic solo/gunfighter seats use key locks that require mounting hardware on the front seat tongue and rear seat bolts. This will negate the use of your stock seat/RDL. Just some more FYI
Harley-Davidson® FLHT/FLTR/FLHX/FLHR 2008-Up Wide Tripper™ Solo with Driver Backrest 79719

$370 @ bikertrends... that's more like it.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SFDonovan
Harley-Davidson® FLHT/FLTR/FLHX/FLHR 2008-Up Wide Tripper™ Solo with Driver Backrest 79719

$370 @ bikertrends... that's more like it.

Thanks for the tip.
No problem. For just a few $$ more, check out the diamond stitch version. It is a really sweet looking seat.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Just be sure of the compatibility between the two seats and the backrest you are using.

Carl

Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you went with the Corbin Classic Solo, with backrest and passenger pillion, you would not need to spend any money on the day long seat. And it would be cheaper

The corbin is an all day touring seat.

You can use it with and without the back rest or the passenger pillion. so if you wanted to go for the (fairly) sleek look run just the solo, want long range comfort ridding solo, throw on the back rest. You get the idea.

And the biggest thing for me is how clean they look, no exposed hardware, no bibs, just a clean looking seat.

Quick Reply: Spare Solo Seat